Unicursal Hexagram

One Armed Scissor

Yup so I tried some candles

Now I have a 2nd interview at a place I interviewed at on Friday, plus 2 people have called me to do tarot readings for them, and they want to pay me.

So yeah, last time I triedn any magicky stuff, I tried way harder than this, and the only results I got where feeling silly. Now it feels like, I dunno natural.

paradoxx

I use the unicursal hex card and the oto card as 'power cards,' I simply take another card off the deck and read it with the inention that its meaning is very deep and specific, I do this with any deck that has extra cards, it adds a sense of depth to aspects of the reading (especially if you draw the other extra card and have to draw a third card to round everything out).

kwaw

The Unicursal Hexagram:

"The cone is cut with an infinite ray; the curve of hyperbolic life springs into being."
Liber VII, V, 35.

The Unicursal Hexagram appears to have been included with one version of the Thoth tarot deck just to fill in the blank spaces in the printing process. Crowley probably did not intend it to be included in the deck; that being said he does include it in the BoT.

And that is the interesting question to me; what did the UH mean to Crowley? And why did he include it in the BoT without any other apparent textual reference to it? He describes it as 'purely euclidean, the lines have no breadth'. The 'lines have no breadth' makes me think of the 'Naples Arrangement'. If they have no breadth then the reference must be to Triangles and the supernal triad.

Although it has been adapted by ritual magicians for use as a planetary hexagram the only ritual in which Crowley used it is Liber V vel Reguli. When I look at the Unicursal Hexagram the varying widths of the lines suggest to me perspective and I see them as lines regressing in parallel to the point of infinity where the Marian Rose is imposed. Yet Crowley states that the 'lines are purely euclidean, they have no breadth". However in his commentary on Liber Reguli, the only ritual in which he uses the UH, he says, "Yet breadth is equally a nothing in the presence of the Cone." Which suggests to me that the nature of the UH is hyperbolic.

Also from his commentary on Reguli I would suggest it represents "the voice of Nature awakening at the dawn of the Aeon .... proclaiming the Word of the Law of Thelema". And that it "reveals the omnipresence of Hadit identical with Himself, yet fullfilling Himself by dividing his interplay with Nuit into episodes, each form of his energy isolated with each aspect of Her receptivity, delight developing continuous from complex to complex."

Also:
"A parabola is bound by one law which fixes its relations with two straight lines at every point; yet it has no end short of infinity....", similarly the initiate, "..may attain to measure fellow parabolas, ellipses that cross his path, hyperbolas that span all space with their twin wings." There is much more in the commentary that connects it with the whole 5/6 11 formula of magick and the 0=2 formula.

You may also note that when an upright and an averse pentagram are imposed within a hexagon you get a Unicursal Hexagram. Although what significance that has, if any, I don't know.

Anyway. A lot of rubbish has been written about the Unicursal Hexagram; so having disposed of my own I shall hereby cease. (And I think I have confused breadth with depth? In which case not the triangle of the supernal triad but the 'line' of Kether - Chokmak? Perhaps our parabolic philosophers can provide some answers?).

Kwaw

Aeon418

kwaw said:
The Unicursal Hexagram appears to have been included with one version of the Thoth tarot deck just to fill in the blank spaces in the printing process. Crowley probably did not intend it to be included in the deck; that being said he does include it in the BoT.
Probably did not intend! Lets say most certainly did not intend! The hex card is just a space filler along the same lines as the 2 extra magus cards in other versions of the Thoth deck.
kwaw said:
And that is the interesting question to me; what did the UH mean to Crowley? And why did he include it in the BoT without any other apparent textual reference to it?
It's hard to understand exactly what Crowley thought the Unicursal Hexagram symbolised. But it is known that the Golden Dawn used the Uni-Hex as a symbol of the four elements with Sol and Luna.
That makes sense within the context of Reguli because the invoking hexagram of the Beast would be an invoking hexagram of Sol. Beast = 666 = Sol (Sun).

But......... Crowley also used the Uni-Hex in another way. Crowley's own lamen, which is on the cover of MAGICK Book 4, uses the Uni-Hex in a manner that doesn't appear to be elemental at all. The top point connects with the Mark of the Beast in the Supernal Triad. That would make the rose in the centre of the Uni-Hex Tiphareth (Sol), and that is also consistent with it's placement on the Sigil of the Grand Hierophant.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0877289190.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The lower point touches the "averse pentagram", also from Reguli. ;)
Liber 65. Chp.5 vs.5
Now is the Pillar established in the Void; now is Asi fulfilled of Asar; now is Hoor let down into the Animal Soul of Things like a fiery star that falleth upon the darkness of the earth.
Through the midnight thou art dropt, O my child, my conqueror, my sword-girt captain, O Hoor! and they shall find thee as a black gnarl'd glittering stone, and they shall worship thee

Ross G Caldwell

The unicursal hexagram is one of my favorite symbols. I used to wear a nice silver one (open, not enclosed in a circle - sometimes stabbed me!).

I understood it to mean the union of flesh and spirit - or perhaps better, the *identity* of matter and spirit, since in the unicursal version of the hexagram it is impossible to separate one triangle from another. This identity can be applied to all other false dualities, such as male/female, life/death, up/down, etc., and thus symbolizes one goal of Thelema - "make no difference between any one thing and any other thing!"

Since it is also "moving" (in that, while it is a hexagram, it is impossible to know when one part is ending and another part is beginning), it symbolizes the dynamism and magick of life and the Thelemic path in particular (everything's always a-changin').

AbstractConcept

Ross, where abouts did you get your hands on a UH pendant? I've been looking round and not been able to find one anywhere. i go to an esoteric store and ask if they have any pendants and they usually look at me like i'm insane and reply "what's a unicursal hexagram?"

Ross G Caldwell

AbstractConcept said:
Ross, where abouts did you get your hands on a UH pendant? I've been looking round and not been able to find one anywhere. i go to an esoteric store and ask if they have any pendants and they usually look at me like i'm insane and reply "what's a unicursal hexagram?"

LOL - yes, they're rare (I think).

I found my first one in Toronto, at an occult bookshop. It was a crappy little thing, a little light and not really straight lines. But I had to have it.

I found the one I loved in New York City, in a shop in Greenwich Village. It had the rose in the middle too.

I'm sure if you took a design to a jewelry maker, it could be made for a little cost.

Maybe they sell them online somewhere? I've never looked.

Good luck! If I find a source, I'll report back.

Ross

serenaserendipity

the magical symbol

to me, intuitively,
just means
DEEP MAGIC

rather than the kind of will-inspired magic of the magician, or the intuition inspired magic of the high priestess...

it's like deep magic that exists in the universe

i use it in my thoth deck , and when it shows up, i think
DEEP MAGIC

ok, so, it basically just means its own "oomph"

-s.

crystal dawn

"Mr. Crowley, what went on in your head"[/QUOTE]

aaahhh - ooh yes - reminds me of a Garden of Delight song - high empress - i think it was called - brilliant.

blessings

crystal dawn