Vanessa Study Group - XV The Devil

star-lover

the card is very savvy, sassy, confident

i think you would keel them over with your acting abilities, let us know what you do

:love:

Allure

6 Haunted Days said:
Hmmmm...with the imagery on this card and your question topic...

Maybe you're gonna have to sleep with the right person to get into acting?! :laugh:

Haaaaaaaaaaa :laugh:

berrieh

She makes me think of Hamlet; this has nothing to do with Death, but to do with that card---the idea of not being able to decide anything. Then again, I guess that is the whole 'fear of change' angle, which is a part of Death, and not being able to settle on our goals is usually what keeps us from achieving them.

(Kind of random, but there it is.)

Keavy McGee

The image is of a couple in bed; he is bare chested and his wrist is chained to the wall of the bedside table. She is blond, blue-eyed, humongous-breasted, and clad only in half a sheet - the bottom half. He has a bemused how-did-I-get-here look on his face and she is coquettish, yet almost hard with her direct gaze. In the background, hanging on the red jacquard wallpaper is a framed image of a red devil, complete with horns and pitchfork, flames licking high all around him. A pitcher and apple are on the nightstand behind the young man.

Attachments

• XVDevil.jpg
    XVDevil.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 94

Alan Ross

I like this Devil better than most I've seen. She's certainly much more seductive than your average devil. This card has the traditional association of bondage, but in this card I would say that bondage is a good thing! The apple on the night stand is a nice touch, a sly reference to Eve's temptation of Adam. Of course, the traditional horned and pitchfork bearing devil has to make his appearance, but he is relegated to the background as a framed picture. I think this is the perfect Devil card for this deck.

Alan

Grip Dellabonte

This card has the traditional association of bondage, but in this card I would say that bondage is a good thing! The apple on the night stand is a nice touch, a sly reference to Eve's temptation of Adam.

Ha! I totally agree. And it also makes a strong case that our fellow did get in this particular "mess" voluntarily.....

Keavy McGee

Hey, Grip, just noticed that the fella on the Devil card looks a tad like your date!! })

Hemera

So... if the bondage here is a good thing, then is there any bad here anywhere? Where is it and what kind of evil/bad is it? What does this card really mean then? (Enjoy bondage? :bugeyed:?)

Grip Dellabonte

Hey, Grip, just noticed that the fella on the Devil card looks a tad like your date!!

I did tell you ahead of time that I had him chained to the divan! ;)
I also said he was slow.....

So... if the bondage here is a good thing, then is there any bad here anywhere? Where is it and what kind of evil/bad is it? What does this card really mean then? (Enjoy bondage? ?)

I guess if I understand the Devil card, we imprison ourselves at times, we are our own worst enemy, or we give our power to someone else leaving us vulnerable to their influence over us.

So it seems like this man has voluntarily allowed himself to be chained, but right now he is at the "mercy" of the woman.

It may be fun right now....but as with anything in life, if it gets out of hand, it won't be fun for long....

Alan Ross

Grip Dellabonte said:
I guess if I understand the Devil card, we imprison ourselves at times, we are our own worst enemy, or we give our power to someone else leaving us vulnerable to their influence over us.

That's exactly how I see it. So in this card, for example, the guy is expecting a good time, but maybe instead our demonic seductress is going to make a grab for the guy's wallet and help herself to a Macy's shopping spree, leaving the poor guy shackled to the bed feeling like a fool.

We always take a chance when we cede power to another, whether "another" is a person, or intoxicants, or our lustful desire for more tarot decks (guilty as charged!). It can start off being a good time, but those good times can lead us to very bad places if we aren't careful to reign in our impulses.

Alan