Shadowscapes - Suit of Swords

Carlo

I recently completed the companion book for the Shadowscapes deck. I'm very impressed overall with it and some of the individual cards are the most stunning and impressive I've seen in any deck. The depictions of the Fool and the Queen of Swords, in particular, I haven't seen surpassed by their equivalents elsewhere.

The one major thing that bothers me with the deck, however, is the interpretation presented for the Suit of Swords. While in traditional terms it's not a very positive suit overall, the Shadowscapes presentation is almost entirely negative, with exceptions being the Ace and to some extent the Court cards (the Queen being the most positive). For example, the Two of Swords - one of my favorite Tarot card concepts, usually signifying choice in some manner - in Shadowscapes is interpreted as denial/impasse/blockage. It pretty much goes downhill from there.

Normally I prefer personal exploration and contemplation, but this touches enough of a chord for me to register here and ask if others may have insights on why the suit is treated this way.

bowl_of_glow

The one major thing that bothers me with the deck, however, is the interpretation presented for the Suit of Swords. While in traditional terms it's not a very positive suit overall, the Shadowscapes presentation is almost entirely negative, with exceptions being the Ace and to some extent the Court cards (the Queen being the most positive). For example, the Two of Swords - one of my favorite Tarot card concepts, usually signifying choice in some manner - in Shadowscapes is interpreted as denial/impasse/blockage. It pretty much goes downhill from there.

Normally I prefer personal exploration and contemplation, but this touches enough of a chord for me to register here and ask if others may have insights on why the suit is treated this way.

Hello there :)

I'm just a newbie, but for what is worth, here's my 2 cents:

I guess it depends on the fact that this deck is RWS-based.
The images may be quite different, but when you compare the cards with the Rider-Waite, the meanings are pretty much the same.
So, when you look at the 2 of Swords - I don't know anything about the Thoth, mind you - but in Crowley's deck the 2 of Swords means something like 'peace', a moment of rest, rather than just an impasse, if I'm not mistaken? While in the RWS it's more of a blockage.
The same goes for the other cards... so we have the 5 (self interest), the 7 (deception), the 8 (being trapped), the 9 (nightmares/anguish) etc. I think it depends on the deck it's based on.

I can't see the 6 of Swords as a 'negative' card, though. (This card is one of my favorites.)
It looks quite peaceful. Hopeful. Even if you've gone through some hard times, this card says there's still light on the other side.

B.

Carlo

Thanks for the comments, your observation on the strength of the RWS linkage is well made. My preferred view of the RWS has been somewhat less completely grim than Shadowscapes' presentation (and the companion book interpretation) of the Swords suit, but it's true all of the usual negative RWS meanings are included. It certainly appears that the deck author intentionally followed the standard RWS card interpretations.

Perhaps I just have to admit I'm not enthused about the RWS Swords suit presentation and its standard interpretations, which for me seem unbalanced towards negative aspects.

Dara

I find it interesting that you find the swords more negative in this deck because I actually find it more positive. In fact most of the deck have less scary and less negative depictions compared to the rws deck. The rws has some frightening images, especially to a querent who may not know the meanings of tarot cards as well.

The 2of swords may be the only one with a more sinister feeling, however I feel like it is more empowering. The figure is not blind olded physically like in rws deck which makes the figure look more empowered. The meaning of the blindfold is still there depicted with other symbols, symbols that wouldn't scare q uerents and make them feel helpless.

The 4 of sword is definitely more positive however. The rws has an image that looks like a sarcophagus. The shadowscapes image relays the meaning of mental rest more clearly to me.

The 5 of swords shows less of the losers. The 6 of swords is wholly more positive card with none of the depressed emotions and running away imagery of rws. The 7 of sword is less clearly an image of a thief to a querent.

The 8 of swords, yes it is scary but so is the rws. Again there is no blindfold however. The hummingbird in shadowscapes does radiate like a beacon of hope whereas rws doesn't have any signs of hope.

The 9 of swords in rws is a guy waking up at night and crying with very scary swords on the wall. In shadowscapes, it still shows the feeling of dread but with less of the cry in and sorrow.

The 10 of swords isn't 10 swords in the back of a dead looking man which is in my opinion one of the most frightening cards in rws.

Just sharing my view of the deck. Hope it was insightful.