Using oracle cards to study fiction or write stories

Glass Owl

Given my love of books, tv shows, and movies I find myself using my decks to study characters, plots, and stories. I use them to try to predict what is going to happen too, often shuffling the cards during a tv show or before I read a book.

If you do the same thing - or maybe even write stories using your oracle cards - I would love to hear what oracle decks you have used and your experiences.

As for me I have used a lot of oracle decks, but here are a few that I found work well for this - at least for me:

Story Forge cards
Wisdom of the House of Night
Mystical Kipper (along with the Lenormand)
Les Vampires - recently used this deck before watching an episode of The Originals

jolie_amethyst

Did you get the Story Forge deck then? How do you like it? :)

The two "actual" oracles I'm using lately for fiction writing are the Enchanted Map deck and Madame Endora's Fortune Cards...and I use them completely differently.

It was Endora who made it clear to me that words tend to trigger my imagination/brainstorming more easily than images do, plus so many of those cards are based on myths and legends and story archetypes that I know well, which makes them easy for me to work with. With Endora, I'll usually pick a spread with positions and think on a character, then lay the spread out and read it from that character's viewpoint. Sometimes, they're very literal, but not always. The warnings they've been screeching at my poor villain have been hilarious though--they're full of dark foreboding for him, and rightly so! :joke:

The Enchanted Map cards are much more visual, with their photo collage styling. With that deck, I might put myself into the mindset of a character, then sift through the cards face up to find one that "feels" right for that character in that situation. Then I'll study the card for a time to see what details might emerge. They've been useful at times for getting at the emotions (at both a conscious and deep down level) of a given character.

The Tea Leaf cards, while I had them, were quite good at predicting future bits of plots where I already knew what was coming. I never got them to show me anything I didn't already know about those stories, but to be fair, I was already a bit off on that deck when I tried. In theory, they seem like they'd be worth trying for plotting.

I'm also finding that different decks work best with different characters--both in oracles and Tarot. One secondary character that I just could not get a handle on with Shadowscapes or Steampunk truly came alive with the Robin Wood deck & the Way of Tea spread (that's turned out to be a very useful one for understanding people's motives, thank you again!). In that case, RW gave me the 7/Swords for the first position...for a moment, I was totally blank, and then click!, it all began to fall into place. Here was the central motivation behind this man, and how he gets into the position he does in the end. I found myself laying out the 7/Swords from every deck I had and comparing them, noting down what caught my eye in each. Then I threw down a 3 card Endora spread to help pinpoint why and where that particular card was such a key part of that character's being--because Endora works rather well for me with the darker characters and the darker aspects of even the supposedly good guys.

One thing that's also fun: same spread, different characters, and with more than one deck. This has been especially useful if it's a timeline spread. You can learn a tremendous amount from doing that, even more so when you combine the Story Forge deck with one or two others, laying out a card from each deck for each position. I use the SF cards almost like a second title for their given position...as a further framework to refine the meaning of the oracle or Tarot card drawn for that position. (SF is also the only deck that I can & will toss out a card from a blind draw that doesn't fit and replace it with another--though lately I've made myself think pretty hard on what comes up before I dismiss it.)

One oracle that flat out refuses to do fiction though surprised me...Froud's Faeries. I've tried to do spreads for characters with them hoping for some insights...the spreads I drew were all about me, EVERY TIME. I finally gave up. No other deck, oracle or Tarot, has outright rebelled on me like that one did. So long as I make it clear who I'm thinking of as I shuffle, the cards will generally provide something useful--how useful may depend somewhat on the deck, as in that one character above, but generally I'll get something from it. The Fae though, aren't willing to give me anything so far for a fictional character or story--they'll read for other flesh and blood people, they're happy enough to nag me about getting the book finished, but not to help me work on it. It's weird.

Glass Owl

I had the chance to use the Story Forge cards for the first time last week. I watched a Hallmark movie and laid down a row of cards just as it started. It turned out that the story line followed the cards (although I think I stopped too soon.) Then for something really random, I pulled out the Tarot Illuminati and just started pulling cards. I looked at each card and quickly placed it under the SF card that I thought it belonged under. I didn't over think it, I just went with it. I ended up with two Tarot cards under each SF card.

I can see what you are saying, how you can use the SF cards to frame or title a card position, sort of like the Deck of 1000 Spreads.

I have the Madame Endora and the Enchanted Map so I will have to pull those out and try using them for story study.

That is so funny about the Froud's Faeries, they are very fickle. I tried to house them together and nope, they have to remain in their own boxes.

Have you ever used the Archetype cards by Caroline Myss, jolie_amethyst? That deck may help with character development, offering insights into character traits or motivations. The Wisdom of the House of Night Oracle and the Chakra Wisdom cards may be helpful to you in that regard as well.

jolie_amethyst

Have you ever used the Archetype cards by Caroline Myss, jolie_amethyst? That deck may help with character development, offering insights into character traits or motivations. The Wisdom of the House of Night Oracle and the Chakra Wisdom cards may be helpful to you in that regard as well.

I haven't gotten the Archetype cards yet, though I've had my eye on them for a bit now. I know they're popular with some writers who don't use otherwise use Tarot or Oracles; that's how I first came across them.

However--I *just* discovered the Fallen Angel oracle cards tonight, and oh my...they look PERFECT for working with "darker" or badly flawed characters. I saw you had these--what do you think? Would this be a good use for that deck?

My in laws are in town this week; I'm hoping to spend some in depth time plotting and doing more character work with cards next week once I have the house to myself again during the day! :joke: Mark McElroy posted a link to his Character Generator a while back, and I definitely want to give that a shot with my usual combined Tarot/Oracle method. http://www.tarottools.com/?p=204

Morwenna

Ooo, I followed that link and like very much what I saw! I'll have to try that. Only it'll probably be with Tarot because I have so few oracles. (I can't see where goddesses or animals or trees would be of much help here--but I'm probably wrong!)

I have, though, sometimes laid out spreads for fictional characters, including my own, and gotten some good insights!

jolie_amethyst

Ooo, I followed that link and like very much what I saw! I'll have to try that. Only it'll probably be with Tarot because I have so few oracles. (I can't see where goddesses or animals or trees would be of much help here--but I'm probably wrong!)

I have, though, sometimes laid out spreads for fictional characters, including my own, and gotten some good insights!

Morwenna, you might be surprised! While I do use Tarot for spreads like this, almost every oracle I've tried has also given me interesting insights into characters. I'll typically lay out a spread with named positions in Tarot, then lay an oracle cards (or even two different oracles) under those same positions, not so much as a clarifier for the first card, but as a modifier. Sometimes, the Oracle & Tarot cards align perfectly. Other time, they'll be complimentary...or even totally opposite! And regardless, each adds some amazing inspirations.

The Story Forge cards, which are specifically for writing, are excellent at this, but I've had good success with both the Enchanted Map and Endora in that function too.

I think I mentioned to Glass Owl a while back about readings I'd done for the hero & heroine of one book. They both ended up with the 6/Swords for outcome...but the Story Forge cards were different; one came up with Order, the other as Rebirth. It got me thinking about the fact that two people can have the exact same goal, but reach it different ways, and for different reasons. In the end, the escape/"respite from worries" of the 6/Swords will mean something unique to each of them, and while at first glance the Tarot spread might make you think they're headed for the same ending, the oracles are indicating that might not be the case. It was eye opening, to say the least. :joke:

My creativity has definitely expanded through using multiple decks in this manner!

Glass Owl

However--I *just* discovered the Fallen Angel oracle cards tonight, and oh my...they look PERFECT for working with "darker" or badly flawed characters. I saw you had these--what do you think? Would this be a good use for that deck?

I have this deck although I don't remember doing readings with it other than one card pulls. I have enjoyed just looking through it for the most part. Yes, I can see how it could be an useful tool for developing darker or flawed characters, especially those fighting in battles or where they have to pick a "side." May be really good for fantasy, epic stories.

Mark McElroy posted a link to his Character Generator a while back, and I definitely want to give that a shot with my usual combined Tarot/Oracle method. http://www.tarottools.com/?p=204
A few weeks ago I gave that spread a whirl, using my Sherlock Holmes Tarot and the Enchanted Map cards. I went into it with no expectations, other than to just use the cards to brainstorm and open myself up to all sort of possibilities. I ended up with some ideas for a character that was quite unlike any sort of character that I would imagine ever coming up with on my own.

Water Lady

I tried using tarot cards many years ago for TV shows to figure plot, etc. it was a total failure. am glad I saw this as I have just ordered 2 oracle decks and I will try it again and see how it works.
what an interesting way to develop writing.

Owl Song

I've used Tarot several times for readings about fictional characters from books and films, sometimes even a historical figure. I find the insight fascinating and have had very good experiences. I'm so glad other people also use the cards for this purpose -- as well as for storytelling / creative writing.

The StoryForge cards sound amazing. I just ordered a set. I'd love to couple them with Tarot and / or an Oracle deck and see what happens. I've worked a little bit with Corinne Kenner's book TAROT FOR WRITERS. I also have her ASTROLOGY FOR WRITERS book but I prefer the Tarot one.

I'll let you know how the StoryForge cards work out.

jolie_amethyst

I've used Tarot several times for readings about fictional characters from books and films, sometimes even a historical figure. I find the insight fascinating and have had very good experiences. I'm so glad other people also use the cards for this purpose -- as well as for storytelling / creative writing.

The StoryForge cards sound amazing. I just ordered a set. I'd love to couple them with Tarot and / or an Oracle deck and see what happens. I've worked a little bit with Corinne Kenner's book TAROT FOR WRITERS. I also have her ASTROLOGY FOR WRITERS book but I prefer the Tarot one.

I'll let you know how the StoryForge cards work out.

Is Tarot for Writers useful for spreads and such? The biggest complaint I've seen in reviews is that too much of the book is devoted to a basic card overview, and not a terribly helpful one at that. Previews on Amazon were pretty useless, plus the ebook version is locked to a font that reads pretty poorly on screen. That makes me VERY reluctant to spend the asking price for it.

In other news: the Tyldwick Tarot makes a superb deck for fiction work so far!