Loteria?

GlitterNova

I work at Dollar General, and just today I noticed we sell a Loteria card deck game set (you can see a link to it here: http://www.dollargeneral.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15214026) What caught my eye (besides the cute artwork) was that the cards seemed similar to Lenormand and other playing card-based oracle decks. That got me wondering: does anyone know if Loteria cards have ever been used for divination? Do you think it might be worth giving it a shot?

zannamarie

I and others have used Mexican Loteria cards for divination here on AT.

The ones I have, however, have different images that what I saw in the link you provided.

Edited to add: I'll have to go check the local Dollar General to see if I can find these as they look like they might be fun to read with. :)

GlitterNova

I found a site that lists all the cards in this specific deck: http://loteria.elsewhere.org/novelty/

Do you know where I might find some information on divination with Loteria? Specific card meanings, for instance? Thanks!

ETA: In our store, the game set is located at the top on one of the outer shelves of the store (where random toy kits are located), not in the regular toy or card sections. Of course I can't speak for other stores, but if anyone does decide to look for it, be sure to check there :)

reall

omg! so cute!^^ ;)))))))))))
I have a feeling this is based on Sibila but may be original divination deck?:)))
and look so fun to use!^^ ;)))))))))
I would like to get one!^^ ;))))))))

Alta

I have one of these, a gift from another member, but it has no instructions. I haven't tried but had assumed that just using the images the way to go, but maybe there are instructions somewhere in cyber-space?

zannamarie

Not sure what you mean by reading them Lenormand style because I've seen even longer, more complicated definitions for Lenormand cards than I've seen for these. :laugh:

Here's the Wikipedia entry including some basic definitions.

I either use the definitions Dragonfae posted in this thread or just read the images intuitively.

And if you do a search on loteria in the oracles sub-forum you will find numerous threads about the cards including readings done with them. Those might give you some ideas too.

Debra

It's a bingo game, basically.

GlitterNova

Alright, I got the deck. The cards are a nice size to hold in the palm of your hand, but the quality isn't great. The images are super cute, though. Especially the sun with his mustache and goatee! An added bonus is that the kit is packaged in a large tin which could be used for storing other card decks. Now I just need to figure out a method to read these cards...

ETA: Also just a note, card #26 which is traditionally 'The Negro' has been changed to 'Little boy' and shows a young black child.