Have your remains turned into a diamond when you die - yes or no?

Amsonia

I saw this and thought it was interesting for this particular sub forum to discuss. It's a company that will take your cremated ashes and turn them into a diamond (or multiple diamonds) for your loved ones to wear.

What do you think of this? Would you want to be turned into a diamond? Would you want to wear a diamond that was made from the carbon atoms of your loved one?

Also, it made me think...what once living things carbon atoms are in my diamond ring? Does the energy of a crystal come from what path the atoms took to get in there?

It's such a weird thought I don't know what I think.

http://www.algordanza.com/en/

gregory

Given that I cannot decide where I want my left-overs left - not a bad idea. BUT - I would be very suspicious - how do we know they don't just have a stock they mail out to whomever ? And it costs as much as a burial anyway, and you'd still have to pay for the cremation (and you don't actually HAVE to bury ashes, so....)

Hm...

Padma

yeah...nope! I have heard of this before your post, Amsonia.

What if some aspect of spirit stays with the body? What if some of your personal energy remains in the cremains? Then it stays trapped in the crystal forever :p

Furthermore, what happens when your loved ones die? Do your remains go off to grace the fingers of strangers?

As much as I love crystals, I find this idea so repellent and creepy that I could certainly never sign up for it! <shudder>

earthair

I think I'd be very annoyed if one moment I was in a ring attached to the hand of someone who loved me, and the next minute accidentally lost down a drain for eternity.

DDwarks

I think I'd be very annoyed if one moment I was in a ring attached to the hand of someone who loved me, and the next minute accidentally lost down a drain for eternity.

Hahaha!
I couldn't agree more!

rachelcat

First of all, when you're dead, you're dead. You won't care.

Second of all (which means I guess I DO care!), I would much rather be recycled by nature, fertilize a tree or something, rather than be separated from everything as an impervious rock. Unless that's what nature has planned for my remains.

Actually, I don't know how to achieve the end of becoming fertilizer in this day and age. I guess cremation is the best choice? Because if you're buried, there is preserving fluid and water-tight vaults and such? Is that right? I guess I'm going to have to research this before I go. Which is kind of ironic--I have to go to special efforts to make sure the most natural thing happens! Of course, I understand that you can't just ask your family to throw your body out in the back yard and leave it there until it disintegrates . . .

Padma

Of course, I understand that you can't just ask your family to throw your body out in the back yard and leave it there until it disintegrates . . .

You could donate it to the Body Farm, then. They do just that, in order to record the scientific data on decomposing bodies :)

RiverRunsDeep

You could donate it to the Body Farm, then. They do just that, in order to record the scientific data on decomposing bodies :)

Has anyone read "Stiff" by Mary Roach? It is an interesting take on what happens to bodies that are donated to science. Interesting, but irreverently and sidesplittingly hilarious! :laugh:

Personally, I would not want to be a diamond. Whatever you choose for your remains, it is "forever" and your loved ones won't be around forever, so.... who knows where the diamond will end up??

Sphynx131

Has anyone read "Stiff" by Mary Roach? It is an interesting take on what happens to bodies that are donated to science. Interesting, but irreverently and sidesplittingly hilarious! :laugh:

I love that book, I just finished reading it for the umpteenth time the other day. [emoji4][emoji4][emoji88][emoji88][emoji4][emoji4]

DownUnderNZer

I know I'm bad, but do not want to be cremated, buried in the family cemetery, shot up to the moon in a rocket, or put into a diamond as that would be rather claustrophobic.

Crypt above the ground or in a queen size bed would be most preferable.

DND :)