3 Cups = friends? Or something more?

Biba28

214red said:
I think at the end of the day it depends on how you felt about the card romantically before you had pulled it in that position for yourself, if you had always seen that card as romantic go for it, if you havent then take that.

That's just it. I'm not sure how I see that card at the mo. I used to see it as two people coming together (romantically) to make a third entity (either marriage, a commitment to each other, a relationship, an engagement or even a child). The third cup (because I used to read Marseillaise) represented the new energy made by the couple uniting romantically. I even read on www.angelpaths.com that it means a very physical celebration of a relationship i.e. sex.

BUT I look at the image on the RW deck and I just see 3 women. That's not a couple (man & woman) uniting romantically, and producing an agreed commitment. It's just party-hearty... Unless those people are celebrating YOUR union...

Logically, it should be Ace Cups (new romantic feeling), Page Cups (recognition of feeling and wanting to verbalize it to the other), 2 Cups (2 people talking about/recognising their feelings for one another), 3 Cups (two people committing to one-another to create a relationship/marriage etc), 4 Cups (relationship stabilizing as a result and perhaps stagnating somewhat), 5 Cups (one part of the couple getting bored and voicing their opinion), 6 Cups (saying sorry perhaps with a gift & perhaps after some time), 7 Cups (do I take the gift or not?), 8 Cups (going totally in for the relationship and leaving current comfort behind OR leaving relationship for pastures new), 9 Cups (being happy within oneself, finding your bliss), 10 Cups (reaching the finish line, marriage, family relationships, home etc, logical conclusion but don't be too smug about it).

Looking at the image on the card, he could have seen me in a room full of women and thought "hmm that's a nice view" i.e. appreciating me along with the other women :( Although we know each other pretty well now.

It could also mean he thinks I am good company and wants to socialize with me :S

I could make him feel happy :)

I think it means our relationship will go/has gone (3rd position) beyond just reciprocal generosity and benevolence (6 Pents), onto a more personal footing (i.e. friendship/romance). But that still niggles, because which is it?!!! Friendship OR romance?

Perhaps it means he can't tell yet either...

I guess you have to back it up with more cards. In which case I did a separate spread asking whether he wants a relationship with me. Out came Lovers, Justice, King Cups... (I'll post it on Readings forum.).

Heavensent

I guess its how your deck communicates with you. I look at the surrounding cards. I never see this card as cheating or whoring unless I get that feeling. If its a romantic reading, I look at the other cards and usually will see it simply as a card of happiness when I'm using my Gilded. But who knows, I'm nuts:p.

Biba28

SirRushing said:
3 Cups is more like Friends with Benefits. The Party Girl and The Playboy. Because you are having a romantic relationship, but the relationship is open to other people as well. It could imply that you are "easy" by doing Tim, Dick and Harry symbolized by the 3 persons dancing with each other as if they are celebrating, "We all three of us banged her good!" Or if it is a guy, he see himself having a harem with all the three women.

If you are a querant looking for serious love, and you ask the cards how the new person sees or feels about you and you get the 3 Cups, then it means that they just want to have sex with you and have a GOOD TIME, but nothing more that is emotionally intimate. They just see you as one of their many sexual conquests, or life experiences. They have no plans of having a serious relationship with you.

Or, if I stop being pessimistic, the person sees you as a good friend. And some people wants a lover who is a good friend first, because they don't trust relationships of where you try to turn a lover into a friend, because usually that don't work out too well. Rather have a friend turn into a lover.

Yes, you could really have something there (friend turn into a lover). That would make sense with the other spreads I've done. He seems v. unsure about what to do. We have definitely shared 2 Cups moments (i.e. the "locked" look where you look into each other's eyes and know you both like each other). Perhaps this card is just an indication that it's going beyond that and transforming into some kind of directed energy.

Biba28

Heavensent said:
I guess its how your deck communicates with you. I look at the surrounding cards. I never see this card as cheating or whoring unless I get that feeling. If its a romantic reading, I look at the other cards and usually will see it simply as a card of happiness when I'm using my Gilded. But who knows, I'm nuts:p.

I didn't see it as whoring at the time. I could be one of a few women he fancies. It could mean that, I suppose. I can't see inside his head. He isn't the type to whore around though (maybe just in his head).

So would you say it could mean he feels happy with me?

214red

Remember the angel paths is using the thoth deck and the imagery is very different. If your using the rws then that imagery would suggest a girly get together, there is nothing masculine about this card, perhaps its you with your friends celebrating some commitment from him? but thats as far as i could push it on a romantic level.
it also depends on the stage of the relationship with this person, if your already dating then it could mean you celebrating with the girls because he asked you to be his g/f, or move in with him etc. If you havent started dating properly yet then this would likely not be as romantic and be friendship based

Biba28

Amanda_04 said:
I would take it as someone might have noticed you across a room full of people. Not necessarily romantic.. but it is a cup... could be saying they've got some 'vibes' for you.

I was in a room full of people with him yesterday (he was presenting something). When I went up to him to ask a question at the end he DEFINITELY noticed me and I definitely got the feeling he fancied me. I have gotten this feeling before many times when we have spoken together. I'm absolutely sure this is budding into something (as a 3rd cup would suggest) and I can see that sometimes he wishes to surrender to this (in his head i.e. cups) and sometimes he doesn't. I think it's at a tender, delicate stage right now...

Biba28

eyeDEEclaire said:
Sometimes people start out as friends and it evolves into something more. I know lots of couples who were just friends(sometimes for years) and are now in committed relationships with one another. :)

Could very much be like that. I think in our case we would be likely to know each other for a LONG time first to test whether it is what we think it is. That's what's going on right now I think. These feelings are BIG, a lot is at stake and we both know that. If we went for it, we would have to be absolutely sure about each other. I know how I feel about him.

Biba28

214red said:
Remember the angel paths is using the thoth deck and the imagery is very different. If your using the rws then that imagery would suggest a girly get together, there is nothing masculine about this card, perhaps its you with your friends celebrating some commitment from him? but thats as far as i could push it on a romantic level.
it also depends on the stage of the relationship with this person, if your already dating then it could mean you celebrating with the girls because he asked you to be his g/f, or move in with him etc. If you havent started dating properly yet then this would likely not be as romantic and be friendship based

That's v. interesting, Red. I didn't realise that about angel paths. We haven't started dating yet (and that's a very hopeful "yet"). I don't think he's that good at verbalizing emotions. I think he's at a loss...

Biba28

YDM42 said:
I've had it show up as an online forum..I think it's about communion which can happen with couple if there relationship is among friends.

Maybe it means me asking you guys what's going on!!! :S

Heavensent

Biba28 said:
I didn't see it as whoring at the time. I could be one of a few women he fancies. It could mean that, I suppose. I can't see inside his head. He isn't the type to whore around though (maybe just in his head).

So would you say it could mean he feels happy with me?
It could mean that but look at the imagery and the feeling you get and how your cards communicate with you. How did the overall spread feel to you? Stop, take a moment, and just digest it. Act like you're reading for someone else (this helps you to be a bit more honest) and what would you say to that person with what you saw. So if its a spread with more than one card, you have to see how they connect to get the message. It doesn't just work on its own.