Using a playing deck...

Miren

I've seen different kinds of instructions on using a playing deck for readings. While I have a lovely Gilded, I'm also interested in this method---among other things because my fiddling around with playing cards would probably weird my housemates out less. I can only do Tarot when they're not around.

So, for those who do it, do you simply align each suit with a tarot suit--i.e. Hearts = Cups, Diamonds = Pentacles, Clubs = Wands, and Spades = Swords? The first two seem to fit well, but the second two don't so much. I mean there's the whole connotation of the Spades which doesn't have a parallel in the Tarot deck suits.

Suggested reading--preferably online since my library certainly won't have it and my finances are limited--or your own methods?

Moonbow

Moderator Note

I will shortly be moving this thread to the Oracles Forum which is where cartomancy is usually discussed.

Thanks Moonbow*

Miren

Thanks...I really wasn't sure where to put it. :)

celticnoodle

Miren, the site recommended by chellemarie is a very good site, and you can also find others online by googling "cartomancy". also do a search for this here on A.T. and you'll find a lot of information here too.

so far, yes, you've got it right--hearts=cups, dia. =pentacles, etc. i began reading cards by starting with an ordinary deck of playing cards, and found that a great way to begin learning to read. i'm not an expert on any level with regular cards or tarot, but i do agree that it is an easier way to keep peace among those who "freak out" over tarot card readers! :D

good luck in learning to read with ordinary cards, and you'll find that they are not really different from reading tarot cards, just fewer in number--but also much easier to handle, carry around with you and fewer 'glares' from those around you!

Miren

Thanks muchly. :) I'm rather new to all of this and for the last two months I've confined my studies almost exclusively to the actual tarot. :)

Barbaras Ahajusts

The Hedge Sight...

On the Oracle threads, where this thread was moved :D, we have a Cartomancy study, work, going on. Feel free to join us. :thumbsup:

I like the Hedge reading. Just don't let it scare the bejebbers out of you. ;)

Barb

Phoenix Rising

Hi Miren
There is a small group of cartomancers here on the boards..the hedgewytchery site that has been posted is one method..and the Personal Prophecy method is another one Personal Prophecy which I personally like..take a look at them both, or you may find another, whatever works for you...playing cards are very flexible.

cheers
PR

Joermit

Hiya, Miren and welcome!

There is a lil group of us who do love our playing cards dearly... when I started working with them... I read them as a concise tarot... and I used the exact translation you did... hearts = cups, spades = swords, clubs = wands, diamonds = pentacles... this worked just fine... as the RWS is fairly rooted in numerology and you can see parallels along each number throughout the suits... if you decide to use a numerology system... basically, there's countless ways to read playing cards... I've taken bits and pieces from them all...lol... the hedgewytchery method is very well thought out... the PP system is excellent as well... there's another thread down here in the oracle sections called "Why are playing cards not so popular" that has tons of links to online pcs divination systems... so check that out as well... have fun learning! playing cards are a great tool, underappreciated in my opinion! and all Aeclectic here is a great resource as well! thanks... take care...

Joey