Which Visconti-Sforza..?

Herodotus

I'm currently looking to add a historic deck to my collection, and figured there could be no better than the Visconti-Sforza. However, I'm aware that there are a few different versions available, and I was wondering if anyone here had any opinions on which one is the best?

Thanks,
- Herodotus.

Redfaery

I have the Lo Scarabeo Golden Visconti. It's breathtakingly blinged-out and absolutely decadent. I just love it! I've found it surprisingly easy to read with as well.

agviz

My favorite is the Meneghello large version. It's big and thick, giving the feeling that you're holding onto actual art objects rather than just a pack of cards. Somehow I imagine the original deck to have a similar size and volume. The colors are pretty decent, although I find the Dal Negro version slightly richer. The Dal Negro deck isn't quite the impressive "brick" that the Meneghello is though. But then again, that makes it a little easier to shuffle.

And yet to have a much easier time shuffling, the Lo Scarabeo that Redfaery mentions is the way to go. It's standard tarot size. The bling on that is great, but be aware that the images aren't copies of the original but are redrawn. That may or may not matter to you. Likewise, the ease of shuffling might not matter if you're collecting only and not reading.

One other determining factor might be cost. The Lo Scarabeo is currently a quarter of the cost of the Meneghello.

RiverRunsDeep

I agree with Redfaery, the LoScarabeo Golden Visconti is lovely.

I also like the 2015 US Games edition, which includes the portraits of Bianca Maria Visconti and Francesco Sforza. Plus, the card backs on this one have a worn, antique appearance that makes me feel like I am truly handling an older deck.

Another favorite is the AC Tarot on Etsy. I am in love with the homemade quality of this deck.

FLizarraga

It is such a magnificent deck, it's hard to go wrong with any edition. And luckily, there are lots of options.

If you prefer the look of a facsimile reproduction, like larger cards closer to the original size, and are willing (or able) to spend some extra dough, the Dal Negro, the US Games or the Meneghello edition are the way to go. (Are there other facsimile editions? I can't remember any.)

For a modern restoration, there are a lot more options --and cheaper. If you still want larger cards, there is the much maligned Mary Packard "Golden Tarot" version.

In the regular size category, the Fabbri (OOP, but easy to find on the cheap) has my favorite Devil ever. (As you know, the Devil is one of four missing cards, so each edition commissions them to different artists. Some artists have worked on more than one edition.) The Lo Scarabeo Golden Visconti gives you a taste of their original "bling-bling-giness."

And, if you want a mini, Lo Scarabeo also offer one.

Abrac

It depends on how much you want to spend. Here's a link to PDF which compares some of the different versions. It's getting a little dated but should still be helpful.

Visconti Tarot Versions

In my opinion the Longobardica and the US Games second edition are the finest quality and definitely the way to go if you can swing it. My second choice would be the Lo Scarabeo gold foil editions. They're simply gorgeous. :)

EmpyreanKnight

I have the LS Golden Visconti and the other raves here are right, it is astoundingly beautiful and very much usable. If you have problems shuffling large decks it has a nice advantage too since most other Visconti decks tend to be oversized.

Btw there are 3 types of LS Golden Visconti decks available at present. There is the standard size Visconti which is also called the Visconti Tarots. There is a mini version too which is also called the Visconti Mini Tarot. Finally there's a large-sized majors only version called the Golden Visconti Grand Trumps. Be guided accordingly.

Herodotus

Thanks for the input, everybody. I appreciate facsimile editions of historic cards, but I think a reproduction would suit me better. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the LS version, although I do like larger cards.

Herodotus

For a modern restoration, there are a lot more options --and cheaper. If you still want larger cards, there is the much maligned Mary Packard "Golden Tarot" version.

Why do you say "maligned"?

FLizarraga

Why do you say "maligned"?

A while ago there was a whole thread here where there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, because supposedly the borders of the deck were not perfectly aligned.

I have it, and while it is true that in a couple of cards the borders are a little askew I hadn't even noticed it until they pointed it out to me.