Your Most Readable Deck

bonebeach

Some people read well with the Thoth deck but to me, it says something about the person reading with it. Nothing bad, but if someone actually reads with it and is comfortable with it, they are different than me.

I found out just today that one of my dearest friends reads with the Thoth--I was SUPER surprised, while he was very casual about it. I think he's the first friend I've ever had that actually consistently reads with the Thoth...he is rather prickly and difficult for most people to get along with. ;)

raheli

I found out just today that one of my dearest friends reads with the Thoth--I was SUPER surprised, while he was very casual about it. I think he's the first friend I've ever had that actually consistently reads with the Thoth...he is rather prickly and difficult for most people to get along with. ;)
Oh that is so funny, I wonder if we have the same friend. I actually gave my copy of the thoth to him as he'd worn his to scraps.

raheli

I find that cards with movement and story work for me and I'm biased towards cards with human like figures.
They don't have to be strictly human though, the gummy tarot is a delight, as is the deviant moon.

Lark sums up most of my thoughts more eloquently than I ever could.

I think the most readable deck I own is the Victorian romantic, however I think that is more familiarity than anything else.

I love the wild unknown but find it tricky to read, the same with the wooden.

I have gotten more used to the unwieldy decks like voyages, I just adjust my shuffle to work with it.

Rhinemaiden

RWS... it's the deck/system I've spent the most time learning. It's meanings carry over to other decks I use, including playing cards. If I draw a 2 of diamonds in a playing card deck, I think: 2 of coins, balance.

Another thought to explore: what is your criteria for buying a new-to-you deck (doesn't have to be the newest/latest/greatest deck on the market)?

Here's how I choose a new deck:

1. Art first and foremost. If the art doesn't appeal, I give it a pass.

2. Is it RWS based/inspired? Do the suit names make sense?

3. What does it add to my collection that I don't already have?

4. Will I really use the deck or look at it once and put it in a drawer?

Thoughtful

Earlier in this thread l gave the Roots of Asia as my most readable deck, which still stands. It seemed we could only choose one, but darn it l choose my lovely Original Mythic as most readable too. l use them exclusively at the moment and both are extremely readable for me. To choose only one out of these two decks was for me like being asked to compare beautiful twins, no contest here though it has to be both. Love the colouring and the earthiness of the Mythic it has a bright energy about it which reads well for all life issues.
Two very different energies but equally both eminently readable.

Tanga

My most readable deck is the RWS.
Because - that's the one we used on the Tarot course that I attended years ago.
(The course was for 3 terms over 1 year, at the College of Psychic Studies in London. We got a decent amount of practical training too - as the College/instructress had a bank of volunteers that they called in, to be guinea pigs for readings outside of class time. So we could read for "live" people, and report back for support. We could even record the readings.).
I learn best in a class/workshop setting with live interactions - hence this particular format became my "default" setting. And hence, I'm less comfortable with "pip decks" (i.e. ones with no people/descriptive scenes in the minor arcana).

However, it took me years to even like the RWS itself :) . Pamela's artwork never particularly spoke to me and I resisted for quite a few classes, before I gave in to buying my own copy (it was impractical to use a different deck when everyone was new, and learning on the same imagery).
When I read today, it's with anything but RWS - leaning towards a couple of firm favourites who's artwork/imagery I love (Gendron Tarot, Halloween Tarot, and more recently - Dame Fortune's Wheel and Night Sun Tarot - though it will take me a while to get a good handle on these new ones). And when I get stuck on modern imagery - I refer back, in-my-minds-eye, to the RWS version to remember my originally learnt interpretations.
If I attend a Tarot enthusiasts meeting/workshop - I take an RWS, and one other favourite deck.
If we do swaps and I'm with a beginner, I'll use the RWS.

And - good heavens!!! You mean... some people feel/have felt they must "apologise" or something, for actually liking the RWS deck?? (or any other deck for that matter) Heh. How funny, when here I was for years wishing I liked it, even a little bit. :) :) :)
After all - it was painted (in only 6 months! - large scale paintings.) by the lovely Pamela Coleman Smith - Golden Dawn magister!! :joke:. (It was after I went to a lecture about her life and saw some of her other artwork, that I began to appreciate her deck, just a little bit.).

And ah... even more good heavens!! - You mean... some people choose decks they think make them look cool even when they can't get on with them? :) :)
Wonders never cease. :joke:

rylla

Another thought to explore: what is your criteria for buying a new-to-you deck (doesn't have to be the newest/latest/greatest deck on the market)?

Good points! These criteria works for me too (some people might add the quality of the card stock - anybody likes great card stock but a worse one would not stop me from buying a deck if I love the art.)

So, personally, I absolutely agree with these criteria and I am putting myself the same questions; in practice, if the first 2 criteria are met I tend to 'forget' about the other two and buy the deck anyway!!! :( :( :(

blue_fusion

Strangely enough, I think I'd say the Garden of Priapus/Priapo.

Oh Rodney! Lol

I'm not sure if it was ever published, and I have forgotten it's title, but Folchi also did a deck with big nude women in it. Maybe to compensate for the Priapo. :D

My most consistently readable deck still is the RWS, as well as its derivatives. For a time it was a toss between the loS Secrets and the Mythic.

earthair

Regarding 1. I think it's better if the art doesn't appeal to me! I wish I could read with decks I find beautiful. But I don't find it's possible to read if I get distracted by "aw look at the fwuffy kittens" or "wow look how the artist's interplay of light and shade blah blah blah..." which is probably why although I own a lot of gorgeous decks with amazing artwork which I use for study and meditation, the ones that read well are all a bit artistically odd or weird. That being said, I draw the line at Vampires :joke:

Ace

Yep! Prickly and difficult....but likeable! That is Thoth reader to me! But everyone will have their own deck. Someone else mentioned that the art can be distracting. I can see that. Most decks--much as I try to like them--I Find "pretty" but not for me. BB Cats for instance. And not every collector readings with the cards they collect either.

Lark: you and I are on the same page! I find the Robin Wood is an even better beginner deck then the RWS!

barb