Alchemical Study Group - Six of Staffs

Leisa

(from the book)

An artisan, wearing a worker's apron, is being honored. He stands on a cloud and wears a laurel wreath. Under his feet are the alchemical symbols for silver and gold. Many torches are held up in his honor. We can only see the arms of the individuals holding them, and they remain anonymous. But when we compare their size to that of the artisan, they seem gigantic, almost threatening.

Tarot wisdom: You receive love in the form of respect and admiration. The success of your project has made you an example for others. This is your moment of glory. However, from the cloud it is a long way down. Don't get complacent; don't rest on your laurels. Fame has its negative side, too.

mac22

Good advice.

mj07

I get the feeling from this card that the artisan has passed on his knowledge, which is why the crown surrounding him have torches like his own. Makes me think of Prometheus.

sapienza

Interesting idea mj07!

To me he seems anxious. Going by the look on his face he doesn't seem to be enjoying his 'moment of glory'. It does feel like a threatening card in some ways. It almost makes me feel like he is intimidated to share what he has created for fear that it will not match up to the expectations or achievements of others. It also seems odd that he is standing on a cloud, certainly not a very stable foundation, at least not at this stage.

I understand the positive implications of this card, but I find that when it comes up I feel more of a negative energy from it.

mj07

hmm...interesting. I don't think I've ever gotten a negative feeling from this one. Standing on a cloud, that reminds me of some of the aces from the RWS deck, the divine hand emerging from the cloud to give a gift. I imagine the cloud has some alchemical significance, as does the fact he can miraculously stand on it, rather than falling to his death. I think a person who can manage that trick doesn't have too much to fear, eh?

RexMalaki

There are Six Staffs, five of them are being presented as a salute to the Master Craftsman, who holds the sixth staff. The Master Craftsman wears a laurel crown that symbolizes triumph; he has met success. The silver and the gold have been completed, and he looks resolutely towards the flames of the reddening. His shoes rest upon a cloud; so, he cannot stay here. He must move on or risk falling back to the ground, the materialism, where he started. This card is victory, but of a short-lived nature. This honor and respect is not the attainment. He wears his apron because he knows the work continues.