Printing options

Zipgun

I am starting to look at printing options. TGC looks like a good choice, but we may be doing some things on Kickstarter and would need to be able to have cards and decks for rewards.

Does any one have experience working with Printer Studio (http://www.printerstudio.com) or makeplayingcards.com ? Are there any other printers you would recommend, or not recommend?

JOdel

I had my deck printed by makeplayingcards.com (MPC). They did a beautiful job.

As I just posted in a different thread, since they take files in both RGB *as well as* CMYK, in any of about half a dozen widely used graphics file formats, I suspec that the printing is done on something like a high-resolution plotter (one of the ones that uses more than just the basic 4 color inks), and then sent through a die-cut, and shrinkwrapped for shipping.

Their templates were easy to use, and give a generous bleed area, so misregistration is unlikely to be a problem.

Although, since I'd already built my images before I downloaded the template I had to adjust the formatting on everything. I really do recommend that you decide who you're going to have do the printing, and then download the templates first, and build the image to the template rather than end up having to fight with it later.

There are no setup charges, because you do the setup yourself. They have a very easy to follow process of laying out your images for printing. It will take a while to upload and position them, since you'll be dealing with full resolution (300ppi minimum) files, but it isn't difficult, just slow, and I gather the project remains in your account if you decide you want another print run.

Zipgun

Thank you for that information. I will try to get a sample from them as they seem worth pursuing.

shadowdancer

I have used both Makeplayingcards.com and also printerstudio.com

Interestingly, the address on the package was the same for both companies, so the printing is done at the same premises.

Both were excellent.

I have printed shedloads:
cards (extra large sized, minis, poker, bridge - linen and plastic cardstock)
Wristlets
Mouse mats
Coasters
Place mats
Door mats
Journals
Dog tags

Only had one minor problem with quality on one deck which wasn't major, and they immediately offered to rectify.

As has already said, decide on what size you are printing, and who with before getting too far down the road with artwork. It is easier to use the template for your artwork, knowing it is right and will look in proportion when uploaded to the print site, than try and shoe-horn a design into the required template size.

Also, I can add a bit of info regarding the printerstudio 'stuff' as I have used them the most. They ask you to allow a bleed area for any slight alignment issues when it comes to cutting the images. I would say they are very good, and everything is pretty much centred. I also LOVE the plastic cardstock which is expensive compared to the linen. (Maybe something you can treat yourself to though :D ) It is perfectly flat, the colours are terrific and it is totally waterproof. It will take anything I throw at it.

Hope this helps

Davina

spiralingcadaver

I really like the feel of plastic, or, rather, I've gotten a couple decks in this weird, highly textured thin plastic, that I've really liked (as opposed to the smooth kind which I'm mostly indifferent to).

The material is really bendy and a breeze to shuffle (though it might take a little getting used to), and generally great stuff. However(!), I find the texture that makes it great for shuffling also lessens the image permanence: since the image is on the surface and not ink soaked in to the first layer of material, that, with the roughness, means that the design has a much shorter time before it begins to rub off. I was pretty disappointed when one of my favorite decks started to show noticeable areas getting grey from being rubbed off after only a year or two of occasional use.