Growing a new tarot deck...

ryfiki

Hello everyone, here is the first card I am going to display of my new deck... please let me know what you think, I love feedback! Thanks!

death card

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, ryfiki!

Strange image. Is the growadesign copyright part of the image or just protecting the image from pirates? I like the inverted skull and crossbones with the crown, but I don't get the star-like image above it. I'm guessing the person is undergoing some kind of transformation. My first impression is that the proportion of the images between the person and skull and crossbones should be swapped.

I definitely have to see more of the deck before I can say yea or nay to it.

Rodney

Mellifluous

That's really funky and different. I like it. :) Keep going!

ryfiki

Hmmm...

rwcarter said:
Welcome to Aeclectic, ryfiki!

Strange image. Is the growadesign copyright part of the image or just protecting the image from pirates? I like the inverted skull and crossbones with the crown, but I don't get the star-like image above it. I'm guessing the person is undergoing some kind of transformation. My first impression is that the proportion of the images between the person and skull and crossbones should be swapped.

I definitely have to see more of the deck before I can say yea or nay to it.

Rodney

The growadesign.com copyright is just protection for the image. The star is not a star, it is the white flower found in almost every death card. The Mystic Rose, according to Waite symbolizes life or rebirth. And I am confused by your comment that the proportion of the images between the person, skull, and crossbones should be swapped... do you mean that the skeleton image should be small the that the white skull, crossbones, and flower should be larger?

Thanks!

rwcarter

Thanks for the clarification that what looks like a star to me is actually a Mystic Rose.

I think the person should be smaller and the skull, crossbones and crown should be larger. The Mystic Rose can stay the same size.

EDIT: I don't mean to come across as telling you what to do. The proportions of the images would make more sense if the person were smaller and the skull were larger.

ireneintheworld

Hi Rfiki

I'm going to confuse you and disagree with the previous suggestion; I like the size of the human figure and the rose as is, but I hate the skull/crossbones and crown :)

Will look forward to seeing this design progress. Good luck with the project :)

GryffinSong

ireneintheworld said:
Hi Rfiki

I'm going to confuse you and disagree with the previous suggestion; I like the size of the human figure and the rose as is, but I hate the skull/crossbones and crown :)

Will look forward to seeing this design progress. Good luck with the project :)

I don't mind the skull, but the antiquated crown on a very contemporary deck is a bit distracting.

MagsStardustBlack

I thought the style was interesting, you could read it like a magic eye picture. I don't like the crown one bit though, sorry. But the skull is cool. Like the proportion of the person aswell, but think the skull should be a little bigger. Keep up the creative flow, i look forward to seeing the next card. xxxMags.

Laura Borealis

I like the skull, the crown, and the star/flower (it looks like one of Haeckel's radiolaria to me). What I'm iffy about is that black mesh overlay. I'd rather see the human figure (an x-ray? the mesh and watermark make it hard to tell). Maybe if the mesh was faded out in places?

Good luck to you, it's an intriguing start! And don't let the feedback discourage you. Ask 12 AE members, get 13 answers... ;)

ryfiki

Wanting specifics...

So a few of you have said that the crown needs to be removed from the skull and crossbones.

I would like to know if this is this because it just looks bad, or for some tarot deck based reason (the crown does not go with the death cards meaning... it varies from the definition of this particular tarot card in some way... etc.)?

I am interested in all comments, but the latter reasons are the ones I will be most interested in for changing my card designs.

Thanks again everyone for all the input!
I will be posting more cards up soon.