Papus-Goulinat Tarot Deck

kwaw

Thanks for those links Mary.

Ah yes, the Dussere is MUCH better than those with the inclusion of the french suit signs - and my memory wasn't playing tricks on me - there is a version with diamonds on the circle suit - an example of the deck with diamonds instead of clubs on the coins/circles may be seen in the 'Bohemian - Papus set' of a well-known online collection of tarot decks. . .

In The Divinatory Tarot* (Aeon Books, p.6) Papus writes:
quote:
Wand became the Clubs of modern playing-cards, Cups became Hearts, Swords became Spades and Coins became Diamonds.

The descriptions of the cards by Paul Christian used by Papus, together with the (cropped) images from the Tarot Divination are here:

http://green-door.narod.ru/pctarot.html

Kwaw

*The Divinatory Tarot at Google

Teheuti

Thanks for those additions, Kwaw. I appreciate that Papus uses the associations that make the most sense to me. People forget that swords = espadas = spades, and that bastos are clubs.

I forgot to mention the 'green door' site, which I've found very helpful for comparing decks with the Paul Christian descriptions.

Teheuti

Papus-inspired Cagliostro Deck

Note on the Cagliostro Tarot. It copies many, but not all, of the Papus Trumps and follows the Lévi/Papus correspondences for the Trumps.

It was first published in an Italian edition by Modiano in 1912 and called "Il Destino Svelato Dal Tarocco" with art by Bruno Sigon.

The Minors are Marseille-like or even Gummpenberg with vaguely Etteilla-related meanings printed top and bottom, but completely different dates than found on the Papus deck.

Cerulean

Dates not im 1948 edition of minors/majors numbered different

Remember my green leather cased edition?

No dates in minors.

Il Magio is I.

Il Giudizo is 20.

IL Matto is 21

This is 1948 edition.

This deck numbering of majors changes in later circa 1955 edition and Dr. Marius instructions. I do not know when someone added dates to the minors. I do prefer my 1948 version.

My 1948 copy is Edizione Modiano from Societa Anonima Cartotecniche Treiste.
this early edition.

I know that I reported this last year and showed this to people.

Cerulean

Note on the Cagliostro Tarot. It copies many, but not all, of the Papus Trumps and follows the Lévi/Papus correspondences for the Trumps.

It was first published in an Italian edition by Modiano in 1912 and called "Il Destino Svelato Dal Tarocco" with art by Bruno Sigon.

The Minors are Marseille-like or even Gummpenberg with vaguely Etteilla-related meanings printed top and bottom, but completely different dates than found on the Papus deck.

Teheuti

I remember your showing me your copy, Cerulean. I hand't realized there were no dates, so maybe they were added later after 1948.

You don't mention the numbering on The World. My USGames deck has the Fool as 0/22 and the The World as 21 - same as Papus.

I was reading in Decker & Dummett about the Frederick Holland deck - a privately owned, unpublished, handmade deck from circa 1886. It probably came out of the explorations being done by the Circle of 8 that included Mackenzie. D&D describe it as Hebrew Letter cards with correspondences written on them. It sounds very much like it was taken directly from Lévi's manuscript - turned into cards. But D&D don't seem to know about the Clefs Majeures manuscript.

About 30 years ago I made a set of Hebrew Letter Tarot cards on which I placed all the correspondences I could find. Will they someday be "collectibles"? - maybe after I'm long gone.

Cerulean

Il Mondo is 22

Astological sign Il Sole, keywords absoluto, il microcosmo, trionfo certo.
o.

Minors have keywords, no dates or numbers stamped on them.

I remember your showing me your copy, Cerulean. I hand't realized there were no dates, so maybe they were added later after 1948.

You don't mention the numbering on The World. My USGames deck has the Fool as 0/22 and the The World as 21 - same as Papus.

I was reading in Decker & Dummett about the Frederick Holland deck - a privately owned, unpublished, handmade deck from circa 1886. It probably came out of the explorations being done by the Circle of 8 that included Mackenzie. D&D describe it as Hebrew Letter cards with correspondences written on them. It sounds very much like it was taken directly from Lévi's manuscript - turned into cards. But D&D don't seem to know about the Clefs Majeures manuscript.

About 30 years ago I made a set of Hebrew Letter Tarot cards on which I placed all the correspondences I could find. Will they someday be "collectibles"? - maybe after I'm long gone.

Tag_jorrit

I know this is an old, excavated, thread but it still may be of interest.

The Dusserre edition has been out of print for quite some time. I was commissioned to reproduce it in 2014 in black & white, from the original Goulinat drawings. I understand that it had never been reproduced prior to the Dusserre edition much later. After the B&W edition came out I received requests to color it.

After I colorised my version of the B&W Goulinat drawings, having never seen the Dusserre edition, was shocked to see the online images. Many of the partially unclothed figures had been "dressed" by the illustrators of the Dusserre edition.

At any rate, the 2 editions I reproduced -- the original B&W as well as colorized version -- are available here as well as some other obscure reproductions of Etteilla, Marseille tarot and Lenormand decks from the 1800s .

Here are some images of the B&W version
Example_1_small.JPG