which card(s) would represent another male or female *unknown* to central figure?

olivia1

which card(s) would represent another male or female *unknown* to subject?

I asked this card on another forum, but I figured that I would also ask on here because there are some of you who are not members of the other forum..but I still very much value your expertise and knowledge on Lenormand :heart:

pretend you are doing a reading for a male, using the No Lay Out Method. You charge Man (of course). The Dog would be a person familiar to the man... but which card(s) would represent another male who is not known to the Man being read on? Would it be the Rider or Lilly?

On the other hand, if you are reading up on a Female, which card would represent another Woman that the original female key figure is not familiar with? The Moon card?

I ask because recently, I did a reading about a Man and in the future position, mountain + lilly showed up. I was not sure if the cards were trying to tell me that he was trying to block a familiar experience, block peace from happening, or just trying to cause some sort of hindrance or blockage to another male (all of which could be a possibility).

I hope my question made sense? if not, I could rephrase it.

eta: I know that in theory, one could probably just look at the Playing Card insert, if they went into the reading looking for another person. My question is more about how do you know when the cards are trying to tell you about another person, who is unknown and of same gender as your subject, without you specifically asking the cards ?

lord_ewin

<Rant>

That's one of the problems with the no-layout in my opinion, though it has its wonderful uses... But It's so damn technical of a method that it leaves people confused about the simplest concepts...

</rant>

Usually, unless you charge a card to mean someone, it could be anyone. Otherwise, the cards must indicate familiarity (with the dog, garden for example), then you know it's someone familiar to the person. With respect to the mountain, I wouldn't interpret as being familiarity, but the man might have an enemy/obstacle in a man? The fact that this person might be an obstacle, the person is probably known in this case... Or suspected. In a military organization, it could also mean a superior...

Either way, don't resolve yourself to one spread with the no-layout. It's meant for quick, succesive answers. In other words, since the cards brought up an er probabilty, you could ask more about the person.

<praise>
The no-layout is excellent for quick successive answers, and it's especially good if you want to charge someone per answer. :) Of course, you might have had all the answers in a 9x4, but... That wasn't your question, so I won't get into that... Haha
</praise>

olivia1

Thank you so much, LE for taking the time to share your knowledge with me. You know I admire your Lenormand skills so you taking the time to share your thoughts with me means a lot :)

IheartTarot

There are other cards that can represent types of people (e.g. Rider, Snake, Child, Fox, Bear, Lily) but IMHO the cards speak to you in the language that you have established for them.

If none of the other cards mean another man to you, another man should not show up in a spread. A no layout spread is pretty short anyway to have more than two people show up in it.

lord_ewin

Also agreed with IheartTarot, though I believe Olivia is starting her reference base with the cards, eventually the cards take on personal meanings for you, and your instincts add a good layer of interpretation.

Keep at it, whatever you do, and come over here and share your insights. :D

Warmest regards,
LE

IheartTarot

lord_ewin said:
Also agreed with IheartTarot, though I believe Olivia is starting her reference base with the cards, eventually the cards take on personal meanings for you, and your instincts add a good layer of interpretation.

That is what I mean by establishing a language, i.e. it is a two-way process. Start with a basic dictionary and then build on it as the cards show you new meanings. Keep a record of your readings so that you can refer to them when an outcome is known.

Ronia

Basically many cards can be other people - Dog (as a friend or someone known); Tower (someone from the past, authority, boss, etc); Lily (relatives, authorities, higher ups, priests); Bear (authority, relatives, usually female but not limited to); Snake (usually female but not limited to: boss, relative, "friend"); Fox (co-worker, co-student, "friend"); Rider (lover, messenger, someone from away, etc); Child (naturally but it can also be someone new, no limit of the sex here); Tree (someone from the past, from the homeland, related to roots which can be a relative as well); and these are only those I can think of right now without the cards in front of me.

I don't use the no layout and these are cards I read as people based on the combos in my spread. They may or may not be people depending on the surrounding cards. There are also traditional combos, like "cards between the Tower and the Bear signify the mother". You can sense it otherwise. I know that cards between the Snake and the Bear usually represent a particular person in my spreads. And so on.

olivia1

IheartTarot said:
There are other cards that can represent types of people (e.g. Rider, Snake, Child, Fox, Bear, Lily) but IMHO the cards speak to you in the language that you have established for them.

If none of the other cards mean another man to you, another man should not show up in a spread.

Thanks IHT :)
well, I always did think of the Lilly as a slightly older man (amongst other things). So I guess it could be that, too then. :)

A no layout spread is pretty short anyway to have more than two people show up in it.

oh, i see. Yes, i suppose that would make sense. Although, when i originally posted, I thought I was using the No Lay Out System but Sylvie said it sounded like I was doing No Lay Out incorrectly.

So to amend my original post: I take back that I was doing the No Lay Out. I guess, without knowing, I was doing my own system and in my system other people do occasionally show up :)

Start with a basic dictionary and then build on it as the cards show you new meanings. Keep a record of your readings so that you can refer to them when an outcome is known.

That is exactly what i have been doing to learn the lenormand cards :)

olivia1

lord_ewin said:

Keep at it, whatever you do, and come over here and share your insights. :D

Warmest regards,
LE

Thank you, LE, for your kind words of encouragement!! :) :)

olivia1

Ronia said:
Basically many cards can be other people - Dog (as a friend or someone known); Tower (someone from the past, authority, boss, etc); Lily (relatives, authorities, higher ups, priests); Bear (authority, relatives, usually female but not limited to); Snake (usually female but not limited to: boss, relative, "friend"); Fox (co-worker, co-student, "friend"); Rider (lover, messenger, someone from away, etc); Child (naturally but it can also be someone new, no limit of the sex here); Tree (someone from the past, from the homeland, related to roots which can be a relative as well); and these are only those I can think of right now without the cards in front of me.

thank you for sharing, Ronia! your take on the cards were of great help to me as they introduced me to meanings that I have never thought of before. did you come up with these meanings on your own, or are they traditional meanings/from a system?

I don't use the no layout and these are cards I read as people based on the combos in my spread. They may or may not be people depending on the surrounding cards.

what do you use? the GT? your own special spread?

There are also traditional combos, like "cards between the Tower and the Bear signify the mother". You can sense it otherwise. I know that cards between the Snake and the Bear usually represent a particular person in my spreads. And so on.

thank you!