A Survey of Oracle Deck Users

faunabay

I'm finding that the oracles work better for me than tarot because of some of the very things you ask about. There are no set guidelines. Everything and anything is up for consideration.

The card number could be anywhere from 30 to 60 or more or less. If there was a reason for alot of cards or fewer it would work for me.

I use quite a few oracles and I use them for different reasons. I do have quite a few Doreen Virtue decks and I like them!! I don't feel they're all sweetness and light but I do tend to use them when I need that uplifting reading. I feel there is enough negativity in the world and it's nice to have something to give you pathways to follow without pointing out all the negative too.

Now that said though I also have oracles which I pick up when I'm not feeling so touchy that have more of a dark feel to them. My Froud Faeries are my best friends!! And even when I don't have the deck with me I can call on them to help. They're definitely not all sweetness and light. LOL

How should I say this?.......I find that oracles (for me) work a bit more on emotions and feelings and the way your mind looks at issues while the tarot works more on the nuts and bolts and actual physical aspect of the issue. (shrug) So for me the artwork of oracles is very important for me to like or connect with. I tend to like the theme oriented ones more for some reason - fairies, angels, etc. I'm not even sure why - maybe because that puts me in a certain mindset before I even begin so I'm more open to "hear" what is begins said????

I also like decks that have a meaning that "jumps out at you" but then also has other options too. Kind of a "jumping off" meaning that leads to other more indepth information if you choose to look deeper. I'm one of the few that like key words on the cards. They don't distract me from going deeper but they do give me a starting point. And if for some reason they don't make sense I don't have any problem just ignoring them. LOL

Emeraldgirl

How big?
How many cards makes a comfortable and worthwhile oracle deck for you?
Can there be too many or too few cards?

for an oracle deck it would be around 40 - 80 cards. the Tony Carmine Salerno decks are 45 cards and they are fantastic to work with.

Card Meanings
What sort of card meanings draw you?
Do you prefer all positive like Doreen Virtue's decks or a mix of positive/ negative card meanings?
Do you find that the "theme" of the deck sometimes limits the possible card meanings?
Do you find that some oracle deck can only be used for certain types of readings?
Do you find oracle decks to be more or less flexible in meaning than a tarot deck?

I like a mix of card meanings both positive and negative meanings to be included but there are days where you just can't face one more bit of negativity.

I don't think that themes limit meanings but can sometimes add to them. E.g. Froud's Faeries covers a multitude of things and it is a themed deck and one of the best oracles I have come across.

I only really use oracles in conjunction with tarot as a clarifying of the reading or as a lazy 1 - 3 card spread so I haven't really examined their full uses.

Artwork
Are you more drawn to a deck because of its artwork or its "theme"?
Are you more attracted to decks with realistic or more abstract pictures?
Does the artwork affect how you feel you can read with a deck?
Would you buy or not buy a deck based soley on it artwork?

I but most of my decks tarot or oracle based on the art. The more I like the artwork the more I like the deck and the more use it gets.

Random
Is there an oracle you wish existed?
Do you think there are too many or too few decks out there on the market already?
Is there anything that makes some decks easier to meditate with than others?

I wish there was a oracle based of works of art by the masters mostly ren and pre-raph art.

I think that there is enough decks on the subjects that are already out there such as fairies, gods and goddesses, angels etc but on the other hand if more come out I would but them so it's hard to say :)

And Finally...
Please describe your ideal oracle.

Great Art, easy to use but with lots of hidden symbolism that will keep you occupied for a while learning. And it must come with a great companion book.

purple_scorp

Hi FGM,

I'm late to the party but thought I'd post as I always have something to say (especially about Oracle decks :)).

How big?

I have no preference for number of cards in a deck. I can work happily with any number.

No. I have Sabian Symbols too (and it is 360 interpretations but not that many cards - 42 cards). And, I have a 7-card chakra deck (electronically through Orphalese software). That would be the two ends of the scale in terms of decks I use.

But you know, some of these "commercial" decks (like the Hay House ones etc) I feel as though they've said to the creator, okay, you can only have 44-cards (or whatever number works for their publisher). And, I often feel as though they've perhaps compromised some of the cards (left some out) to fit in with the "corporate" identity. Which is a shame.

Card Meanings What sort of card meanings draw you?

I guess because Oracle decks are used slightly differently to Tarot, in that Tarot spreads often have set positions, whereas Oracle spreads tend to be more read like a sentence - that an Oracle card meaning would have to be able to stand on its own, as well as change it's interpretation depending upon what other cards are around it.

Do you prefer all positive like Doreen Virtue's decks or a mix of positive/ negative card meanings?

I prefer a mix. It's my way of reading reversals (which I don't in Tarot). Of course, it's always nice to see all positive cards - but life isn't like that.

Do you find that the "theme" of the deck sometimes limits the possible card meanings?

No and Yes. No because I think you can adapt set meanings to any situation. And yes, because I have Oracle decks that I use for specific questions. So, to put this in another way, if I was stranded on a desert island with someone who wanted a reading and I only had one Oracle deck with me, then, I could comfortably read with that deck. BUT, if I had my suitcase of Oracle decks (yes and it seems as though I need a suitcase for my lot) and I was asked a specific question (like a love question for example), then I would hand-select my Love Pack to read with.

Do you find that some oracle deck can only be used for certain types of readings?

Um, no, as above. Some decks are suited for certain types of readings but I think you can still use them for other types too.

Do you find oracle decks to be more or less flexible in meaning than a tarot deck?

Much more flexible. I find Tarot too rigid and steeped in tradition and archetypes. Take the Soul Cards for example. There isn't really even a LWB for them. You just look at them and make your own interpretation. How much more flexible could you be?

Artwork - Are you more drawn to a deck because of its artwork or its "theme"?

Artwork for sure. I'm the same with Tarot decks too though.

What does realistic mean? If it means like a photo, then I prefer abstract pictures. But really, the key for me is being able to look at the card and interpret it without having to reach for a LWB or without someone telling me what I'm supposed to see.

Yes, absolutely. If I don't like the artwork, I usually don't feel a connection with the deck. But, I am reminded of my Fairy Tarot (Lo Scarabeo). It was the very first Tarot deck I bought and I really liked the art, but I can't read with it, without looking up the LWB (and it's a crap LWB too).

Yes. Well, I would need a connection to it. I wouldn't just buy a deck for the sake of collecting them. I usually only buy decks that I feel I can read with. I've learnt since buying that first Fairy Tarot!

Random - Is there an oracle you wish existed?

Interesting question. How about what to cook for dinner? I hate having to think of what to cook each night. :) And even better if it can cook it for you, lol.

There have been times when I have felt that I've not got the "right" reading and wished for the "right" deck but I can't tell you off the top of my head what it was.

Oh, I would love an easy Oracle deck for my children to read with. Even with Tarot decks, I really feel this is an area that is not well catered for. I thought about getting my children to create their own decks. I could sit there and say, okay, here's the situation, now draw what you think the card should look like.

Do you think there are too many or too few decks out there on the market already?

Oh FGM, there are never enough decks. What a silly question - tee hee hee. Maybe an interesting exercise would be to start a new thread and start listing questions that a reader wants answered. Then, underneath each question, we could list which deck we would use and why.....then, it would highlight where the shortfall was. ;)

No, not for me. I am good at visualising - and I can go with just a word, so I don't feel that any deck is easier or harder.

And Finally...

As I said before, one that I felt a connection with. Don't mind if it has writing on the card itsElf (I thought I'd say that because I know some people don't like it). The cruncher for me is whether I can look at the card and instantly know the meaning, without having to look up a LWB.

with love
purple_scorp

FaeryGodmother

Thank you everyone who replied to this. i really appreciate your thoughts. You've all given me something to keep in mind.

My apologies if I offended anyone who loves the Virtue decks, I certainly didn't mean too. I have two of her decks myself, so I do enjoy them.

thanks again
FGM

6 Haunted Days

An old thread, but couldn't resist answering!

How big?
I would say at least 40. Anywhere from 40-65 I prefer. Bigger than that and it gets a bit dense and clogged.

Card Meanings
What sort of card meanings draw you?- I love deeper spiritual/psychological meanings, more layers of meaning and symbolism.

Do you prefer all positive like Doreen Virtue's decks or a mix of positive/ negative card meanings?- I'm not a fan overly cutesy syrupy positive decks. I like a mix in mine (like in life). I don't like any of the Virtue decks. Some decks that are mostly positive I do love (like the Faerie Wisdom cards or Irish Fairy cards) but that has a lot to do with presentation, art style and how the author presents and writes about the cards. Her style of prose. The use of colour.

Do you find that the "theme" of the deck sometimes limits the possible card meanings?- Not really. I've never noticed it in the decks I have.

Do you find that some oracle deck can only be used for certain types of readings?- To a point. Some are for to the point, quick reads, more blunt. Some take much longer and are much more profound with many layers to discover.

Do you find oracle decks to be more or less flexible in meaning than a tarot deck?- I most certainly do! That is one of my main joys in finding and using new oracles. New insights, systems and ideas flourish.

Artwork
Are you more drawn to a deck because of its artwork or its "theme"?- Very much so. Artwork has to resonate with me or it's a no go. And the theme is very important. If it's something I have no interest in, I won't even look at the cards.

Are you more attracted to decks with realistic or more abstract pictures?- I would say realistic with some abstract thrown in. I hate complete abstract decks, nothing to work with.

Does the artwork affect how you feel you can read with a deck?- Very much so! If I am in tune with the style and artwork, it puts my intuition and connection on a high level.

Would you buy or not buy a deck based soley on it artwork? I for sure would. I love to collect things, but I do prefer to have both. Artwork and a great oracle I can read with.

Random
Is there an oracle you wish existed? Yes. Perhaps the absolute perfect Faery Oracle. A serious one based on RJ Stewarts teachings or Orion Foxwood's. Or an oarcle for the traditional witch.

Do you think there are too many or too few decks out there on the market already? I think there are a lot of junk oracles out there. Something someone just slapped together.

Is there anything that makes some decks easier to meditate with than others?- I would say the flow of colours, artwork, symbolism.

And Finally...
Please describe your ideal oracle.- Hmmmm hard one! I would say it would be an oracle for a tradtional british witch (no wicca) containing a lot of faery lore and teachings. Done in vibrant darker colours. Jewel tones. Earthy browns, russet, olive, hunters green...those kind of colours. With a few vibrant colours thrown in. It would have a very old world feel to the artwork. Almost like primitve art (think Will Moses). Contain about 52 cards with 4 suits denoting the seasons and passings in a witches year. (A 52 card deck is an automatic lunar calendar anyways!)A lot of sprials, swirls and a flowing sense of movement and life. If I had the time and was more creative (someday!) I could see myself attempting something along these lines!

Little Hare

Less then 25 and i don't really feel the deck... 40-50 cards

Too few cards yes. I'm not sure about to many tho ;)

Meanings that are truthful, honest and healing.

In all honesty i got rid of all my D.V decks quiet a few years ago. Only to have the goddess guidance set and unicorn set come back to me this past month. I personally prefer a mixture of positive and negative cards, yet i don't see the cards as negative , more as a learning tool for growth

At times yes, especially with a deck like Healing with angels by Ms Virtue, i really couldn't get into the fact that most of the angels looked like ken and barbie dolls

I belive so

Depends on the deck really, but i find that oracles seem to be more flexible, but then i'm an intuitive reader and don't really go by traditional meanings with the cards.

I start with theme, but if the artwork isn't to my liking then i won't buy it, so i'm an artwork girl all the way

Both, the art has to speak to me and draw me in

Yes.

I buy my decks based on its artwork, if i don't like the artwork then it will effect how i read the cards

YES!!!! a painted/drawn oracle on the myths and stories of the pleadies from indigenous cultures all over the world

A few to many doreen virtue decks, but as well i think its about how decks are marketed. I think there should be more interesting cultural oracle decks out there

at this point in my life i rarely meditate with decks, i prefer to write what i see

look to the question on oracle i wished existed

This was fun :D

knowledge seeker

How big?
playing card size up to the doreen virtue size, anything on either side of this i feel is to difficult to handle easily & comfortably
i feel 45-80 is comfortable for me, that's what most of mine are within anyway.
i feel anything over 20 cards with no final limit, providing that all cards are individual (ie, haven't got 2 that have very similar meanings and is kind of pointless, which i am yet to come across though)

Card Meanings
all of them, they are there for a purpose & reason to learn & acknowledge.

a few light negative ones are helpful i believe, but nothing *really* heavy. i will say that i am a fan of DV's decks, & have quite a few, and yes, it is a slight downfall that there is no negative cards, per se, but i've found that i am quite easily able to reverse the meanings of the card and this shows the querant the negative side that needs attention. this is not done through reversals, but it just *hits* or *clicks* that 'ah ha! this is an area that is lacking, requires improvement, attention, etc etc'. so i don't feel it is essential to have negative cards, but i can see that it may be of some help.

ummm...i guess, but it's hard to comment, as i have quite a few decks, i intuitively know which one i need to use at any specific time. even if i had previous ideas of using a certain deck, when i go to do the reading, another one calls instead (often with the exchanges) so i'll say, well, i guess it can.

only in as much as other decks suit certain types of readings better than others. it's not a case of *only* able to be used for specific readings, but that there is a deck better suited which is not this one, but if this is the only option at the time then it will be fine still. (such as i often carry 1-2 decks around all the time with me, & a few times i've had an on the spot reading & immediately thought of another deck that i've got...at home. but that doesn't mean that i will wait till i get home, or will go home then go back out. so i'll use what i have at hand)
ummm...i believe it varies deck to deck on how flexible or inflexible the meanings are. i guess though, in the end, intuition always wins out for me. if you're after a yes or no, i would have to say yes, more flexible than tarot but in a very broad sense.

Artwork
yes. it has to be visually stimulating & a theme that i feel i resonate with.

both equally.

yes, if i don't appreciate or resonate with the artwork, then i do find it more difficult to read/interpret. (this also goes for one or two cards in certain decks, i don't *like* the artwork portrayed, so i find that card takes me a touch longer to read)

yes. if i don't like the artwork, i'm not going to connect with it. guess i must be visually orientated, ha, took a survey to recognise! guess i never really payed it much thought before, other than looking at a deck and knowing it's not for me, now i know it's alot of the artwork (am thinking back to these times) i think one i'm not drawn to, is the fairy ring oracle, for an example, however i've recently found myself drawn to the brian froud's faery oracle. (please excuse my spelling if this is wrong for the above oracles :smile: )

Random
Is there an oracle you wish existed? i must say i would love to see DV (or anyone) bring out a Greek God oracle. but otherwise i will echo another poster & say, that oracles are all around us, & so already exist.

no, as there may only be one that an individual is attracted too, & if there wasn't so many, then they may not have found their's if it was never published. but i guess i do love oracle decks too...:D

no, it is whatever each individual sees within each deck that makes it easier, which ofcourse varies to each individual. for me, it's a clarity of the message or *properties* of a particular card that may inspire me to meditate with it. although i will say that i do more so with the crystal oracle, than any other.

And Finally...
Everything around me, whatever I feel 'connected' with at the time. from a song on the radio, to the bird i see on my lawn, to the deck i use at any given time. each & everything happens for a reason...my ideal oracle has already been created IMO :smile:

blessings
KS

FaeryGodmother

Hey wow! I had totally forgotten about this thread- thanks for bringing it back to my attention. Strangely enough its one of those synchronistic things for me. After having been side tracked all last year, this year is all about getting back to where I was creatively, or at least restarting my creative juices. This thread gives me lots of ideas to work from. So thanks again. :)

gravenimages

One more

Hopped on this one late, but wanted to put in my two cents ;)

How big?

For me, all three of these can be answered by the fact that it will depend on the size of the symbolic system you're using in the oracle--the sea shell oracle comes to mind--there are thousands of shells that one can work with, and I think the author has something like 200 cards in that deck. I think that there can be too few cards in a deck. The more images you have to work with the more specific/clear your readings will be--at least, that's been my experience.

Card Meanings
What sort of card meanings draw you? Do you prefer all positive like Doreen Virtue's decks or a mix of positive/ negative card meanings?
I think that all oracles should address all possible aspects of human existance--pleasurable and painful. I think that you need to have some negatives, or shadows in a deck (of any kind)--isn't that's what life's all about? I think that something with all positives is more of an affirmation tool...

Not really, as the symbols of the oracle should be able to be applied to any situation or question presented for them.

I don't think so--people come to readings with all types of questions--no, wait! If the deck has only positive cards and the person is having a problem, then that may pose a limitation. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Artwork
Are you more drawn to a deck because of its artwork or its "theme"? I would have to say yes--that's been a sell on just about all the decks I have.
Are you more attracted to decks with realistic or more abstract pictures? I prefer realistic.
Does the artwork affect how you feel you can read with a deck? I wonder if anyone could help this--but I think that is what can really make a reading unique--both reader and querent will bring associations with them and apply it to the images they are viewing. It's one of the things we took into consideration when working on GIO.

Would you buy or not buy a deck based soley on it artwork? I've done that, adn sometimes I've found it to be a mistake (for readings)--while I loved to look at the pictures, it was hard for me to do readings with them (ie: Inner Child Cards).

Random
Is there an oracle you wish existed? (I'm biased--mine! But I'm working on that ;) )
Do you think there are too many or too few decks out there on the market already? I think there should be more oracle decks--so much of what has been plugged into the tarot formula could easily stand on its own as an oracle.

Is there anything that makes some decks easier to meditate with than others? I think it depends on the reader--its what resonates for them--everyone has symbols that they connect with

And Finally...

www.gravenimagesoracle.com :)

Thanks for a great thread!

XXXXXNat

SunChariot

FaeryGodmother said:
I was wondering about Oracle decks and what draws us too them. I have lots of questions and I would really appreciate everyones opinions...

How big?

Well, for me, the more cards the better. The more cards, the more different things the deck can tell you.

The smallest Oracle deck I have is from the Connecting with your Angels Kit. The kit includes a 12 card deck, which I keep alongside my regular decks. And honestly it has always worked very well for me, plus the cards are just beautiful!

The largest Oracle I have contains 120 cards. I have SoulCards, both Volumes 1 and 2 combined together.

FaeryGodmother said:
Card Meanings

--I would say I am most drawn to cards with spiritual meanings, my angel and faery cards are my favourites
--Depends on what the reading is about. I have some all positive decks and some that with more varied meanings. When it's a comfort reading and sometning is hurting and I want to know the bigger purpose behind what is happening in my life. I will go for an angel all positive deck. If I am just confused I would pick a more varied meaning deck.
--Not really, I don't think the theme of a deck should limit the range of topics it can talk about.
--Well probalby all Oracle decks can be used with any questions, but some are better suited to certain types of questions. But I could say teh same of my Tarot decks as well.
--To me, Tarot and Oracle decks need to be equally flexible in meaning. Of course that could be because I read them both in more or less the same way.

FaeryGodmother said:
Artwork

--Artwork. Although theme does enter into it too. I love my angel decks and talking to the angels in that way for example.
--more abstract. I am drawn to things that are original and unlike anything I have ever seen before, but that I consider beautiful.
--Yes, a deck with more detail will read better for me than one with more plain images. Because I read by analysing imagery, more complex images have more to say to me.
--yes

FaeryGodmother said:
Random

--Hmmm, maybe it already does. I don't know them all. Maybe one that stressed individualiy, how to find your own individual path, stressed the beauty of that, helped you find that path, to know how your life purpose would be enhanced by finding it...
--There can never ever be too many decks, just maybe too little money and too little space to own them all. LOL
--Well the card meditations I do involve entering the card and talking to the main character there. So a deck that was all nature scenes (like the Dreaming in Color deck, although a truly beautiful deck) would not work for me for meditations. I need for there to be one character in it I can enter the card and talk to, preferably either a human, faery or angel for me. Beautiful nature scenes also help when you enter a card.

FaeryGodmother said:
And Finally...

Well I love the comforting feel to the angel decks, but a perfect deck should be able to show all sides of a situation, not just the good. How about a deck that could show the bad sides too, but to show the positive side to the situation at the same time. Like that "X" (something not altogether pleasant) is going to happen to you, but it will leave you in a better place once it is done. Trust in that and be grateful for this, as you may not see it yet but ultimately it will turn into a gift in your life...