Green Man Tree Oracle?

chrisam-crystals

what do you think about this oracle deck?

the artistry is superb and it is wonderful trying to make out the faces of the green man in each tree card!

the only drawback that i have found is that the symbolism of each card is somewhat lacking, and the explanation of each ogham stave is virtually non-existant!

i keep finding myself looking online for ogham stave meanings so that i can come up with a better interpretation of each card. :(

and is it just me or is it easier to use this as an addition to tarot - drawing a card or two to reinforce?

when it comes to using just the deck for a reading i find myself really struggling! lol

jue xx

Elven

Isnt this a glorious deck - the illustrations are beautiful - one of my favourites!

I do find though, I do more research for the individual cards than taking from whats in the book, but by doing this, I have learnt so much more about the trees, the mythics, the lore, the cultures. Its the type of deck you can journal your findings about and come up with an expanded and very personal interpretations about - then the trees becomes very familiar very quickly.

I had to do the same with the Angel Oracles as well, I didnt know any of the Angels, only the Hells Angels, and I couldnt find that card in the deck LOL!! ;) ...but a thoroughly enjoyable learning experience.

Hope this encourages you to keep going with this deck - it really has a lovely feeling to it (IMHO) ;)

Blessings Elven x

Leo62

I couldn't agree more - the cards are glorious, but the book is, to put it kindly, rather lightweight.

I've been using the cards in conjunction with an excellent book on the ogham I stumbled across recently. It's called "Ogam: How to Read, Create and Shape Your Destiny Through the Celtic Oracle" by Paul Rhys Mountford. It gives a lot of history, background and myth about the ogham, and also reviews a whole bunch of ogham decks!

Chronata

yeah...I find that there really isn't much in the book that's comprehensive!

I keep the ogham meanings next to me as I read...and really do read these in an intutitive way, asking the tree what it thinks or knows about the situation, based on the expression and what I see in the picture, and what this brings to mind...

Has anyone ever read these alongside the Froud Faeries?
Now THOSE readings are a hoot!

Especially if you let them sort of talk to each other, and just let your imagination go wiild...
very interesting conversations occur between trees and faeries!

Some of my best readings...and certainly most successful with the Green Man Tree Oracle has been when I read them like I read Froud's.

u4ia

hi

I also have the greenman, and find the cards so interesting and beautiful but the meanings in the book are a little off, I have associated which are from the upper,middle and lower worlds, and kinda go off that.
Where did you guys find other meanings to the different kind of trees?

lark

they kind of talk to me like the trees in the Wizard of Oz

Rosanne

I have this deck and I love it- but more for the knowledge not for reading. I purchased this book. Tree Medicine/Tree Magic by Ellen Evert Hopman.
It covers the trees of the deck. You are right, the deck book is light.

Trees purify the air
They also purify the mind...
if you want to save your world.,
You must save the Trees.
The Trees of Endor
~Rosanne

suebee

I would love to see this Deck. I dont see it listed in the decks. I love the Green man. I have a rocking chair he is on. I make him from clay! Where can I see this deck?

inanna_tarot

One thing with the tree style oracles was that I was trying to learn the ogham system rather than the trees themselves.
I found when I stopped trying to work out the whys and whats of the staves and got back to working and feeling and talking to the trees that I 'got' it. Its like tarot, you can read the books and supposed interpretations, but its your intuition that puts a reading together. And I think its more important to listen to your intuition with the Tree oracles (whichever kind) because they are living breathing entities which people have worked with for thousands of years, not just funny notches and what a book says they are supposed to mean.

That was my own hang up... maybe my story helps you jue?

Or I can highly recommend The Celtic Tree Mysteries book that talks about the formation of the ogham alphabet and then helps you build and understand each tree for the whole being it is.

Sezo
x