Good Oracle Decks for a newbie

SunChariot

greenbeans said:
I second the faeries' oracle. My first deck 5 yrs ago, still my fave. Its beautiful and strange and wise and funny. There are some people who don't like it- bear in mind its not the image some people have of faeries- but if you feel drawn to the artwork you should definitely get it!

And the faeries oracle forum on here is generally pretty active, with regular faery seekers circles where we read for each other, and lots of other fun stuff, here, have a look:

http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=31

greenbeans, can you believe I almost did not buy the deck at first because when I saw the images here on AT some looked "scary" to me. What a mistake that would have been if I had not. They all (my faeries) have improved my life so much . :heart:

Bar

Mira

Thanks Sun Chariot, I am leaning towards getting the Faerie Oracle so much, and after you told me more about it, I feel as if I have to have it, so I put in a call to my local book shop and they have it there!

And thank you too greenbeans, the faery seekers circle sounds wonderful, I will have to check it out!

I've been going thru some major changes in my life (job loss, death of a parent) and I truly feel so uplifted when I read my cards!

SunChariot

You're very welcome. That's why we're all here after all to help each other. :grin:

I am so sorry about your situation. I have lost a parent too when I was 21 and I really feel for you. And I am sure the readings will help. I started reading too in a hard period of my life and it was so much help to me. The faeires are such joyful little beings too. They are quite inspirational. I truly wish you all the best with your deck.

Just to add this in, Brian Froud has a book out called Good Faeries/Bad Faeries that features a good number of the faeries in the deck plus a number more. Although I find it overdramatizes the "bad" side a bit in my opinion as I have never known my faeries to be less than loving and caring.

And Brian also has a music CD out called I believe Faeries. I have the CD and sometimes listen to it when I do faery readings. The music is quite hauntingly beautiful and if you put the CD in the computer there are a number of images, that are so cool and even an interview with Brian himself.

Bar

Mira

Thank you, that is so kind of you! I already feel better after having found this forum, and I am feeling much more positive now after getting back into my cards. I will admit though, I had not heard of oracle cards until last week when I attended a meeting (local people interested in the Tarot) at the book store I like to go to. It was way back in 1972 I got my first Tarot deck as a gift, and then in the mid-1980's my life's path sort of took me away from it....until now, and I am so happy to be back! It's so enlightening! I am so sorry you had to lose a parent when you were so young, losing a loved one at any age is difficult.

SunChariot

Yeah losing a parent when you're living at home still and used to seeing them everyday is hard. We were very close too. But that was in 1976, it's not something that affects me in my life now really.

And we're glad you found your way back and found your way to AT. :grin:

Did you see the part in my last post about the book and CD. LOL I added it in after your wrote your post as an afterthought. :grin:

Bar

Mira

Oh wow, thank you for telling me about the book and the CD! The book store is holding the Faerie's Oracle for me and I plan on picking it up this week! I can't wait! I will definitely check out the CD as well!

Mira

I'm on a roll....LOL! Today I ordered Magical Unicorns by Doreen Virtue, being a newbie to this, it looked like an easier deck for me, and I love unicorns.
Also, I will be going to pick up the Faerie's Oracle this week, can't wait!

SunChariot

One more thing Mira in case you're interested. LOL One more great feature of the Faeries' Oracle is that it included a blank card that you are meant to design yourself and thus add your energy into the deck in that way. You can make it mean whatever you want.

Mine is below in case you are interested. That was me as a child. I loved adding myself into the deck to interact with the faeries in person. :heart: To me my card is there to remind me basically that I am always safe and being watched over, it's about being childlike and finding wonder in life's beauty, the joy of being outdoors and the joy of learning (I have a book in my lap) and about my connection to nature and the land of Faery.:grin:

Bar

Attachments

• ATT1.JPG
    ATT1.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 115

Mira

Oh is that ever wonderful, I love the card that you designed what a great picture! And I love your card's meaning. I will have to start getting busy and figure out what I want to put on my blank card! Thanks for letting me know that! At such a time of turmoil in my life, I find that this forum, and reading my cards, gives me such peace.

Satori

There are some lovely Oracle decks on the market.

But....choosing an Oracle is not an easy task.

With Tarot you have a structure, so, unless you are looking at Tarot decks that defy the structure and strike out on new ground, and this is a concious choice, you sort of know what you are getting. With Oracles, you are really going to be led by personal tastes that have more to do with your divination style, level of derring-do, and artistic tastes.

Oracles are funny things.

You sort of have to break into the Oracle market with a deck purchase, use it for a while and get the feel of it, and then suddenly after a run of great readings with an Oracle....you go....Oh! I get it now. Yes. Oracle. :)

Here is another thing.

Another thing that happened for me was I got to see a really great reader handling some really lovely Oracles. I'm talking about an AT member named SongDeva. Here is a reader who took me to the next level in terms of divination. Just watching her read for people opened up an energy vortex or something, something sort of "clicked" while I was watching her do readings for others and for me.

I admit that I think this is a valuable tool.
If you have meet-ups where you read for each other, please watch the good readers work. Listen to them and look at the cards to see if you can see what they see. I'm not sure if anyone has talked about this before, about reading in groups, and watching each other read, listening to each other read, but you will learn so much from this. It is invaluable.

As for how to choose your deck, your Oracle.
Trial and error is the bottom line.
At meet-ups you'll see other people's faves and this is a great thing and a bad thing, because it quenches your thirst for decks. Suddenly you must have the Universal Love Oracle. You cannot live without the Tao Oracle.

Which leads me to my beloved.
The Tao Oracle.
Here is my recommendation, and not for someone who does not wish to go deeply into the world of the Oracle.

This is a gentle voice in a harsh world.

Now, go and choose your Oracle and play with it and come back and tell us what you find.