One Deck Wonder

MeeWah

Learning a deck akin to learning a foreign language. The most effective way to learn another language usually by total immersion.

An exclusive association with one deck can provide a similar effect, that of a more thorough learning of its qualities. Just as one changes & evolves over time with the life experiences, so may the perceptions of a particular deck also reflect those influences.

Having spent many years with only the RWS--largely from ignorance of other decks--I can attest to the experience of a total immersion in only one deck.
Although I have since acquired other decks & for reading purposes, the RWS remains a staple deck for readings. & continue to learn from it.

Apocalipstick

Having just come out of an extended period of using only one deck, the RWS, I know this can be an extremely rewarding experience.

It's like any long-lived relationship - the longer you spend with one person, better you get to know them.

Layers of meaning will build upon each other as time passes. Neglected symbols will suddenly stand out and give the card a brand new spin. A card combination will suddenly make sense.

It's really worth trying, though it may not be for everyone.

Alta

I consider the RWS to be an inexhaustible well (and am sure many disagree, and that's fine). I read exclusively with that deck from 1971 to 1999 when I bought the Robin Wood. And etc...
Reading with other decks has broadened my reading ability immeasurably but I would never argue that a reader could benefit from immersion in any decent deck for a sustained period.
Personally, I have done this experiment, though didn't know it was called that :D, and don't plan to repeat it. But applaud the initiative and understand the benefits.

Sulis

Pipistrelle said:
I would like to join in, using the International Icon. I've only had it a few weeks but in that time I've already come to think of it as a reliable friend.

Off now to read the old threads to see exactly what I've let myself in for! :D

Pip

Hi Pip,

I used the International Icon in the original One Deck Wonder exercise and it was amazing.
It's like stripping tarot back to numbers, elements, shapes and colour.
The colours in this deck seem to make the characters look as if they are moving when the cards are laid out in a spread. The lack of facial features means that you're intuition puts them there so that their facial expressions are just right for each reading.

I'm sure you'll love it. There will be times when you long to just have a quick go with another deck but resist, it's worth it :D

Debra

I once read that "there are two kinds of people"--I know, I know--but this one resonated.

The two types are 'starters' and 'finishers.' Starters are enthused to start projects and don't worry if they don't finish . Finishers won't start something unless they think they can finish it.

I'm a finisher. I can't even think of committing to 6 months of one deck only because...I likely won't finish!

I wish you all the best with this BUT I hope you won't beat yourselves up if you say "screw it" before the 6 months end. It's not like a sentence of solitary confinement, you know.

I started with the RWS in 1971 (!) and it wasn't until the Golden by Kat Black came out that I had another. The cards are basically RWS cards to me--especially the suits--and that suits me!

I want to add a plug for the website by 78 notes to self, listed in the advertisements section. She's done a wonderful job of discussing the numbers.

franniee

ok so how is this thread going to work....are you going to use it as a blog in your process of learning the new deck? or are you going to post spreads and impressions and meanings of cards etc? and a lot of people will have other decks ... so I was just curious how the posting works?

sorry if this is a dumb question.

connegrl

I think we just post on our progress. Things that we notice about our growth. Comments about the deck we're working on might go into one of the deck study groups.

I'm planning on working intensively with my Il Meneghello Soprafino. Not for 6 months tho. I'm only planning on commiting to 3 months. See I have this commitment thing...LOL Actually I'm afraid to work with this deck intensively for 6 months. Have you handled an Il Meneghello deck???? I don't want to ruin it. Its 264 of 2000. I could get the LS version but it wont feel the same and that's really what does it for me. Tactile sensation is so underrated. And if this really becomes a work horse of a deck for me, I'm going to have to find another copy.

This should be really good for my PayPal and visa accounts.

Jen

Grizabella

I'm a commitment-phobe myself. I did one of the first One Deck Wonders but I didn't tell anyone because I tend to flunk out and didn't want to do it in public. :p :p Besides, committing to things sometimes makes me flunk out quicker. I didn't make it to the full six months, by any means, but my Robin Wood will always be very close to me because of it. That's the one I used.

It's a great exercise to do and I think everyone who chooses to do it will really benefit from this even if they don't finish. I certainly did. :)

lunakasha

Debra said:
The two types are 'starters' and 'finishers.' Starters are enthused to start projects and don't worry if they don't finish . Finishers won't start something unless they think they can finish it.

I'm a finisher. I can't even think of committing to 6 months of one deck only because...I likely won't finish!

Yep....that is me! I honestly cannot imagine sticking with only one deck for six months. SIX months!!! :eek: However....I love the idea of spending quality time with one and only one deck for an extended period of time. I considered joining the last group, but again....fear of commitment held me back. Maybe this time I will give it a try, why not??? I think if I can stick with it faithfully for even ONE month, that will be a worthwhile effort for me, rather than "failure".

:) Luna

Little Hare

lunakasha said:
Yep....that is me! I honestly cannot imagine sticking with only one deck for six months. SIX months!!! :eek: However....I love the idea of spending quality time with one and only one deck for an extended period of time. I considered joining the last group, but again....fear of commitment held me back. Maybe this time I will give it a try, why not??? I think if I can stick with it faithfully for even ONE month, that will be a worthwhile effort for me, rather than "failure".

:) Luna

Luna there is no such thing as failure, only the experiance!

:heart: