Puzzled by the Morgan Greer

Ace of Stars

I guess my main problem is the back of it, I just think it looks so childish. I think if the blue was even just a darker shade it would look better. Obviously looks aren't everything, but for me when I am doing a reading for myself and I see those stars I just...can't take it seriously?

They remind me of Matisse's cut-out art. I love the back.

Nemia

Matisse is spot-on for me, great comparison. I love the backs, too. The images on the cards are so clear-cut, so strongly outlined with contour lines and are so simple and strong, that the contour-less, gentle, irregular back is like a breath of fresh air.

I love this deck, in spite of the weird stockings of the females ;-)

Rosanne

Hmmm, I do not mind the backs.
Maybe those who are concerned about the backs of cards, like flowers on their gumboots,colourful designs on their hedge clippers and pink tool kits and the like.
Nothing about a back of card has ever helped me read. To be inconsistent, when I smoked cigarettes, the packaging played a part in the addiction.
~Rosanne

tarotbear

I agree with Le Fanu and I think we need to remember that the colours in the Morgan Greer deck are there for a reason, they mean something.. This deck was coloured using Paul Foster-Case's colour symbolism used in the BOTA deck.

Although the colors may mean something, I remember Bill Greer talking about the fact that Morgan scrimped on the color reproduction process and that is ALSO why the deck is some of those colors since Greer did not paint them that way.

nisaba

Although the colors may mean something, I remember Bill Greer talking about the fact that Morgan scrimped on the color reproduction process and that is ALSO why the deck is some of those colors since Greer did not paint them that way.

Thank you - that is good to know.

Did Morgan also add some of those tragic moustaches?

Aina

It's one of the newest decks that I bought and I've just put it back in the shelf before using another one.
I bought it because I liked the backs, the similarity to RWS, blockiness of the drawing, no backs (=bigger images) and great glossy durable card stock.
I think in readings MG is straightforward and the lack of symbolism is good for me to keep my limits. When there are too many details it gets more complicated for me. I wanted something clear, simple and something that has been tried out by many people. There was maybe 1 negative comment out of 30 on the amazon where everyone was praising the deck. I thought if so many people say so many good things about the deck and if the deck is so much in demand it's republished after 30 years or so, it has to mean something. Worked for others, should work for me too. At some level, at least.