"Mr. Smith" in Preface of PKT?

Abrac

In the opening paragraph of the PKT, Waite uses the phrase "Mr. Smith." It doesn't seem to refer to anyone in particular and I was wondering if it's a common British placeholder name, like "Jones" is in the US.

"Now, the opinions of Mr. Smith, even in the literary reviews, are of no importance unless they happen to agree with our own, but in order to sanctify this doctrine we must take care that our opinions, and the subjects out of which they arise, are concerned only with the highest. Yet it is just this which may seem doubtful, in the present instance, not only to Mr. Smith, whom I respect within the proper measures of detachment, but to some of more real consequence, seeing that their dedications are mine."​

de Laurence's version edits "Mr. Smith" out.

"Now, the opinions of [some], even in the literary reviews, are of no importance unless they happen to agree with our own, but in order to sanctify this doctrine we must take care that our opinions, and the subjects out of which they arise, are concerned only with the highest. Yet it is just this which may seem doubtful, in the present instance, not only to [those] whom I respect within the proper measures of detachment, but to some of more real consequence, seeing that their dedications are mine."​

Barleywine

I've always taken it to be generic. Searching on it is impossible because all you get is references to PCS. I recall digging for it before, with similar results.

Abrac

Thank you both for the input, that's the way I was leaning and it's good to get confirmation. :thumbsup: