The Language of Flowers (Playing Cards)

Bernice

The Language of Flowers Playing Cards: (USGames)

I know there are plently of Flower Oracles and other 52 card decks with flowers/herbs, but this one really appeals to me. It's a combination of flowers and Victoriana, with a brief (victorian) 'flower meaning' at the bottom. Illustrated by Virginijus Poshkus who re-illustrated the Radiant Rider-Waite deck.

The only scans I can find are here at 'playingcardsales.com' who no longer have the deck;

http://www.playingcardsales.com/cards/morepics/12946_7_lang_of_flowers.jpg

and here,

http://images.victoriantrading.com/store/catalogimages/22w/22w34.jpg

I can't find any threads for this deck - does anyone have it?

Bee :)

Bernice

The deck has arrived :)

Seems that the flower meanings are those of John Ingram (1842-1916) in his book 'FLORA SYMBOLICA' or The Language of Flowers. I have the pdf, and it expands on the brief meanings given on the cards. I can even use the two Jokers because they each have a different flower. So, I now have an oracle deck with 54 cards..... :)

Little Hare

This looks gorgeous! I'm really into flowers and herbs.

Looks great!

Bernice

A few pics.

The flower meanings arn't necessarily derived fom 'flowery' sources!

e.g:
The meaning for the Fuchsia/5 diamonds (taste) refers to 'good taste'. Apparently when this flower was first made available for sale in england, it was bought by elegant persons who had an appreciation for its beauty.... tasteful.

John Ingram says of the Clematis/9 spades meaning, 'artifice';

"This pleasing flower, called frequently Virgin's-bower or
Traveller's Joy, has unfortunately been adopted as the
emblem of artifice, because, some say, beggars, in order to
excite pity, make false ulcers—which, however, sometimes
produce real ones—in their flesh by means of its twigs."

Well, that's the Victorians for you!

Attachments

• flowercards.jpg
    flowercards.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 1,372

MareSaturni

I own them. I LOVE them!
They are wonderful, and beautiful, and can be used for readings... though, I must say, they are a bit limited in this aspect...

But they are very gorgeous! :)

Bernice

Marina said:
I own them. I LOVE them!
They are wonderful, and beautiful, and can be used for readings... though, I must say, they are a bit limited in this aspect...

But they are very gorgeous! :)
My bold. I was thinking the same , but then after discovering how the meanings were arrived at, I've sort-of 'tweaked' them, or should I say 'expanded' them to include any other meaning which accord with them :)

i.e. In John Ingrams book, for the Snowdrop there are also two other meanings beside the one given on the card (Consolation); these are "Hope" and "A friend in need". Still working through them.........

Little Hare

I may have to add this one to the wish list

Flaxen

If you like this, you might also like the MRP Victorian Flower Oracle.

Beautiful cards :)