Portable Magic

Kangiska

Hello

I have "portable Magic", but it doesn't seem to 'fit' me.

I use Tarot in Magick a lot though, normally basing my ideas on:
"Tarot Spells"
Janina Renée

Greetings

Kangiska

Gareth

Trying this

im working on this if anyone is still around. i learned a lot from the theory sections, i didnt really know anything about planetary and astrological corrospondences.

Im trying to do each exercise 5 times before moving on. Ive done the Ray for the first time today.

like an earlier poster said I find it very hard with my eyes open, but the 'split' is occuring.

ive found i did the ray wrong, by focusing on my signifier rather than the other person.

im going to persist with it, it seems like a good step towards making some tools and doing a ritual.... maybe. either way im using cards ad meditating on them, progress probably.

cheers
G

EliseM

Newbie to Tarot Magic

Hi everyone,

I have just bought this book and as I'm new to Tarot magic I've got a few questions... But the first most pressing one is quite embarrassing, although as they say: ask a question and feel like an idiot for five minutes, don't ask a question and be an idiot forever. So:

Tyson says that we should focus on the face of the Significator when we do the ritual, and at the same time project ourselves into the astral realm. So I have no problem visualising the astral realm, but only with my eyes closed! So my question is: do I have to keep my eyes open during the ritual? And if so, with practice will I be able to project myself into the astral realm with my eyes open? What do you guys think?

I know this thread is a bit old, but if there is anyone out there still picking this up, I'd be glad to hear your opinions.

Love.

Elise

frac_ture

Hi, Elise--

Welcome to Aeclectic! I hope you're getting a lot out of "Portable Magic."

I sympathize with your problem. I actually expressed essentially the same difficulty somewhere earlier on in one of the two threads you just tapped. Like you, I'd be able to visualize the astral plane pretty well if I were doing it with my eyes closed...but being forced to keep them open made it really difficult for me! I did try it with all the exercises throughout the book, and I'm sure if I'd stuck with it, I would have seen some improvement, but I got sidetracked toward the end (somewhere around the chapter on elementals), and I haven't worked my way back to it yet.

I don't see why you couldn't try doing the exercises with your eyes closed for a while to see if that's still effective. If not, you can then just go back to practicing with your eyes open until you get better at it (and I do think you'd get better with concerted effort over time).

I have a big stack of books waiting for me, but sooner or later, I'll get back to this one, and will post on this topic when I do. Meanwhile, best of luck to you, and I hope you'll continue to post about your experiences as well!

cmarie

I have had this book for quite a while and I really love it!

It taught me so much about the astrological/planetary/Hebrew alphabet correspondences, and also the elements. I can say I learned a whole bunch about Tarot from this book.

In my experience it has worked really well, even though I am not the best at the visualization part. I just did it the best I could and it got easier over time. I think just being focused on your 'spell', preparing the cards (pulling them from the deck and ordering them), and then taking your time while laying them out is more than half the battle. Often I lay the cards, then pause and close my eyes and try to focus on that part of the ritual. Then I go on to the next part and repeat. When I get to the part of 'willing and fulfilling' I spend more time on the focus part.

I did have a miniature TdM I was using, then I got a pocket Universal Waite and liked that better. Recently I used my small Thoth on a whim and that felt very powerful to me.

Where would I find the study group? I'd love to participate in that! :)

Ambrosia

Hi all!

Can anyone who has this book please explain to me a little about the section on making Tarot Charms?

Is it just about imbibing the card with an affirmation or some such? Or do you pick a card and add crystals and other objects etc that are kept in a pouch?

I'm pulling stuff out of the air here - I'm interested in purchasing this book but mainly for the making of charms, not so much the ceremonial magic stuff.

Also interested in what ways the author substitutes cards for the altar tools etc...

Any help will be much appreciated, thank you. :)

WolfyJames

I really like this book. I also have the one by by Janine Renee, Tarot Spells. In Portable Magic the author uses the tarot cards as the altar which is really nice. I often don't have the energy required to do a magic circle, do a full ritual, call forth the elements, the Gods, all of these to do the spells like in Tarot Spells, then call away the elements, the Gods and close the magic circle.

In Portable Magic the cards are the tools, the athame, the chalice, the rock and flame, the magic circle. You don't need to use exteral tools when you use his method beside a tarot deck. I'm Wiccan and I don't think the book is too ceremonial, in fact I found it light ceremonial but not hardcore ceremonial. I read before Portable Magic Tarot Talismans: Invoke the Angels of Tarot by the Ciceros and that one is really hardcore ceremonial. I bought the mini Pagan Cats Tarot to go with the book.

A review here:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/portable-magic/

Hi all!

Can anyone who has this book please explain to me a little about the section on making Tarot Charms?

Is it just about imbibing the card with an affirmation or some such? Or do you pick a card and add crystals and other objects etc that are kept in a pouch?

Also interested in what ways the author substitutes cards for the altar tools etc...

He uses the twelve major cards that represent the astrological signs for the magic circle. He uses the Aces of each suit for representing the elements. He uses a triangle where you do your magic spell, or charm. As for the tarot charm, you bring the card with you. If you want to add stuff to your charm to make it stronger, you can.

Ambrosia

I really like this book. I also have the one by by Janine Renee, Tarot Spells. In Portable Magic the author uses the tarot cards as the altar which is really nice. I often don't have the energy required to do a magic circle, do a full ritual, call forth the elements, the Gods, all of these to do the spells like in Tarot Spells, then call away the elements, the Gods and close the magic circle.

In Portable Magic the cards are the tools, the athame, the chalice, the rock and flame, the magic circle. You don't need to use exteral tools when you use his method beside a tarot deck. I'm Wiccan and I don't think the book is too ceremonial, in fact I found it light ceremonial but not hardcore ceremonial. I read before Portable Magic Tarot Talismans: Invoke the Angels of Tarot by the Ciceros and that one is really hardcore ceremonial. I bought the mini Pagan Cats Tarot to go with the book.

A review here:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/portable-magic/

He uses the twelve major cards that represent the astrological signs for the magic circle. He uses the Aces of each suit for representing the elements. He uses a triangle where you do your magic spell, or charm. As for the tarot charm, you bring the card with you. If you want to add stuff to your charm to make it stronger, you can.

Thanks Wolfyjames!

I think I'll hold off on buying it. I do also have The Janina Renee book too and it sounds like Portable Magic won't bring much more to the table for me at this stage...

I appreciate your explanation... :)

dorfmeister

I've got both Tarot Spells and Portable Magic. I'd like to get into Portable Magic but so far I have only used Tarot Spells as it is very straightforward in doing rituals. I have been using The Tarot of Ceremonial Magick, though, to be honest, it is overkill as those cards contain much information that I at this point don't understand.

Ambrosia

I've got both Tarot Spells and Portable Magic. I'd like to get into Portable Magic but so far I have only used Tarot Spells as it is very straightforward in doing rituals. I have been using The Tarot of Ceremonial Magick, though, to be honest, it is overkill as those cards contain much information that I at this point don't understand.

Yes I think it sounds like Portable Magic would only have a few small parts that would add value to the books I already own that mention tarot and ritual so it doesn't seem worth it to me right now from what everyone has said.
I'm not interested in ceremonial magic and I too enjoy the freedom and ease with which Tarot Spells is laid out.
I will forgo my want for this book...for now.