10 of Pentacles as a financial challenge

zippystripe

Hi, I just wanted a second opinion on this one. I did a spread for future challenges in my career and how to deal with them and in the finances section I got the 10 of Pents as the financial challenge... Obviously this is a bit odd as the 10 of Pentacles is all about financial security. I used RWS with no reversals.

My feeling about it is that I won't have many financial problems but must be careful to save and make sure I'm careful with my money (which I am anyway). But that isn't really a typical reading of this card and wondered if it was the Tarot's way of telling me I won't have to worry about it? I'm just wary of wishful thinking, haha.

Barleywine

One thing the RWS 10 of Pentacles makes me think is "extended family" because it seems to show three generations, plus pets. Is there any chance family commitments or demands could be a drain on your prosperity? I had a client who got this card and found out at the end of the reading that her separated son and grandchild had unexpectedly moved back in with her, and she was feeling "pinched." But she got the Hermit as the outcome, so I told her to just be patient.

Or how about a family-owned business that keeps a tight rein on the purse-strings? This is one of the "busiest" or most cluttered of the minor cards (I sometimes have a hard time finding it when browsing through the deck), and the elderly man looks to me like he could be a "hoarder." Maybe you should be cautious about accruing too much responsibility in relation to your salary. Thinking of it as a challenge, it also suggests the "Peter Principle," a management theory where employees "rise to the level of their incompetence;" that is, they keep taking on more responsibility but don't sharpen their skills to meet the new duties, continuing to use what "always worked before." Eventually, it doesn't.

zippystripe

One thing the RWS 10 of Pentacles makes me think is "extended family" because it seems to show three generations, plus pets. Is there any chance family commitments or demands could be a drain on your prosperity? I had a client who got this card and found out at the end of the reading that her separated son and grandchild had unexpectedly moved back in with her, and she was feeling "pinched." But she got the Hermit as the outcome, so I told her to just be patient.

Or how about a family-owned business that keeps a tight rein on the purse-strings? This is one of the "busiest" or most cluttered of the minor cards (I sometimes have a hard time finding it when browsing through the deck), and the elderly man looks to me like he could be a "hoarder." Maybe you should be cautious about accruing too much responsibility in relation to your salary. Thinking of it as a challenge, it also suggests the "Peter Principle," a management theory where employees "rise to the level of their incompetence;" that is, they keep taking on more responsibility but don't sharpen their skills to meet the new duties, continuing to use what "always worked before." Eventually, it doesn't.

Hm... there's certainly some food for thought there.

The first point makes some sense - I do have obligations with my family but not necessarily very large ones. Just general ones as I live with them and have to help out with bills etc, something I already do. So I guess it could be telling me that the money situation will be okay as long as I can meet those demands and don't go overboard?

As for the second point, I'm not sure how much applies. I don't work in a family business, but you could be right in the hoarding tendencies area. I'm not a hoarder but I don't have much space for my things at present. Maybe it's saying don't overspend and wind up accumulating so much stuff! It could also be telling me not to take on too much work, like you described.

Thanks for your input.

Barleywine

Hm... there's certainly some food for thought there.

The first point makes some sense - I do have obligations with my family but not necessarily very large ones. Just general ones as I live with them and have to help out with bills etc, something I already do. So I guess it could be telling me that the money situation will be okay as long as I can meet those demands and don't go overboard?

As for the second point, I'm not sure how much applies. I don't work in a family business, but you could be right in the hoarding tendencies area. I'm not a hoarder but I don't have much space for my things at present. Maybe it's saying don't overspend and wind up accumulating so much stuff! It could also be telling me not to take on too much work, like you described.

Thanks for your input.

I took "future career challenges" to be more open-ended, not just as your present situation. Maybe at some point you will be tempted to hire into a family-run business, and that's where the particular challenge would become relevant.

LeFou

Since you used RWS with no reversals, and the position is a (financial) challenge, maybe we just consider the card as reversed (in a way). The 10's seem to show an excessive amount.

So "excessive coins" might hint at an enormous windfall, or having to manage big budgets, or something related to pensions and retirement (not necessarily yours). Is your career related to property management, or caring for people? Sometimes the cards are just about the imagery :)

violetdaisy

I agree with looking at this card kind of as a reversed since it's in a "challenge" position. I would read it as a challenge to figure out wants vs. needs. Ok...so you want a 5 bedroom house on an acre of land with a country kitchen and 3 bathrooms??? And for some reason you *just* meet the requirements for a mortgage for that house and property.....and then you have good enough credit or enough credit cards to then go out and purchase a bunch of stuff for that house and property....are those really things needed to be successful? How much time would you have to sacrifice in paying those bills??? How many more years would you have to work?

My spouse and I decided to buy a home strictly off of what the mortgage company thought I can afford (not including his income) - I had no previous debt to speak of but don't earn a whole lot of money. So I got what we needed but not everything we wanted...the house needs remodeled but once it's done and our daughter is all grown up and (maybe) out of the house...it will be just right. Even if I can't retire completely or early this house will be paid by the time I'm 65 and all the necessary remodel done.

zippystripe

I took "future career challenges" to be more open-ended, not just as your present situation. Maybe at some point you will be tempted to hire into a family-run business, and that's where the particular challenge would become relevant.

I see. Well, it's not all that likely in my field, but I'll keep it in mind anyway. You never know!

Since you used RWS with no reversals, and the position is a (financial) challenge, maybe we just consider the card as reversed (in a way). The 10's seem to show an excessive amount.

So "excessive coins" might hint at an enormous windfall, or having to manage big budgets, or something related to pensions and retirement (not necessarily yours). Is your career related to property management, or caring for people? Sometimes the cards are just about the imagery

My field is a creative one, not really a typically lucrative career, but that is an interesting take. I guess, considering the marketplace scene, the issue could relate to marketing issues? Perhaps I'm being too 'safe' in this area, as the 10 of Pents is also a card of convention and security. I do have a tendency to avoid risk...

Thanks for your insight. I definitely think the imagery is a place to study this card in more depth.

I agree with looking at this card kind of as a reversed since it's in a "challenge" position. I would read it as a challenge to figure out wants vs. needs. Ok...so you want a 5 bedroom house on an acre of land with a country kitchen and 3 bathrooms??? And for some reason you *just* meet the requirements for a mortgage for that house and property.....and then you have good enough credit or enough credit cards to then go out and purchase a bunch of stuff for that house and property....are those really things needed to be successful? How much time would you have to sacrifice in paying those bills??? How many more years would you have to work?

My spouse and I decided to buy a home strictly off of what the mortgage company thought I can afford (not including his income) - I had no previous debt to speak of but don't earn a whole lot of money. So I got what we needed but not everything we wanted...the house needs remodeled but once it's done and our daughter is all grown up and (maybe) out of the house...it will be just right. Even if I can't retire completely or early this house will be paid by the time I'm 65 and all the necessary remodel done.

I guess so. Like I said, I am wary of wishful thinking but I get what you're saying - maybe it is talking about excess becoming problematic if I start dreaming too big. But honestly I don't think this fits my personality - I have a degree of materialism like all people do, but I don't place that much value in physical things. I come from a disadvantaged background, so I'm actually way too wary when it comes to money as I don't want to fall on hard times and wind up relying on others. So like you said it's about striking the balance between having a lifestyle that I can maintain without working myself to exhaustion.

Thanks for your input. It's opened up a few more avenues of thought.