$300 tarot deck

witchbabie

I was at this shop downtown a couple days ago and found a first edition Alchemical Tarot deck. The owner of the shop said it's never been opened and he'd let it go for $300. I would DIE to own that deck, is it worth the money?? Would you guys pay $300 for a deck???

Astraea

I have paid nearly that much for an OOP, genuinely rare deck - but I think you can still find the first edition of the Alchemical Tarot for well under that amount. Check eBay.

Abrac

I wouldn't. I bought a new copy for $140 and later regretted it. I thought I had to have it but once I did it was a bit of a letdown. As long as people are willing to fork over ridiculous amounts people will keep charging ridiculous prices. It's a deck of cards for cryin' out loud. :)

witchbabie

Thank you both for replying;
It's so much money that I don't have, I feel like I'm going to keep wishing for it. As of now, I cannot find it online. I'm scared it'll be gone by the time i go back to the shop.

Le Fanu

But isn't the 4th edition nicer than the first edition (at least to my mind) and still available?

ETA; so much nicer.

Alta

Robert place himself said that he wasn't pleased with the first edition. He said that the publishers had forced changes on him he didn't like. Best to buy the current edition it's the way he wants it now.

Astraea

Robert place himself said that he wasn't pleased with the first edition. He said that the publishers had forced changes on him he didn't like. Best to buy the current edition it's the way he wants it now.
I remember reading that, Alta - I think the publishers insisted on having big white Greco-Roman columns as borders. And the new version is only $30!

Rhinemaiden

I agree with Le Fanu.... there are less expensive editions of the Alchemical available. Keep looking. :thumbsup:

ETA: it's a wonderful deck. It's been my main deck for daily draws for the past 3 years. I use the 3rd edition, but also own a copy of the 2nd edition and would not hesitate to spend $30 for a fourth edition. But $300 for a 1st edition? Nope. :(

MistyCheckers

Wow. He's up to the 4th edition?

I have the 1st edition. I bought it for the regular price when it was in print. I'll have to pull out my copy and compare it with the online scans to see what changes Mr. Place made. I like the lack of borders on the new edition, but the colors look off to me? More muted or something... of course that could be just the way they look on the computer screen. I'll have to look closer when I get home and actually have my cards in front of me.

ETA. The colors ARE different. Compare the scans of the 1st edition on Aeclectic website with the scans of the 4th edition on his website. He's taken all the color out of the background and replaced it with an old parchment look. I have to say... I don't care for the change. The colors pop much more on the older cards.

witchbabie

But isn't the 4th edition nicer than the first edition (at least to my mind) and still available?

ETA; so much nicer.

The 4th edition is a beauty! I'll definitely consider getting it next, and the price is not bad at all.