21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card -- Step THREE

le fey

Step 3: Druidcraft Queen of Swords

"First, describe the emotions and feelings on the card for the character(s) involved and the environment they are within."

The emotions on this card are very rigidly controlled, but they are there. The woman is sitting straight-backed, head high, and seems to be proud of her ability to endure without getting emotional about it. She also seems to be self-protective, eyes slit against the wind, and sword held in front of her like a shield - she isn't on the attack, but in defensive posture. Finally, the sun is dawning behind her and seems to indicate hope, but she's facing away from it - it seems that she knows it exists (she doesn't look like anything slips her attention) but doesn't dare give up her self-control and defensiveness long enough to respond to it.

"Second, repeat this step but put your description in the "first person.""

I have been through a lot, but I never let it make me weak. No matter how dead it is up here by myself, or how long the wind keeps buffeting me, this is my throne and I'm not letting anything force me out of it. I'm ready to go but it'll be on my terms, not because I wasn't strong enough to stay here. I know people think my expression is bitter but it's not that - I hold my head high because I don't want to be weak, and I keep my eyes and mouth narrowed to protect what's inside from the constant wind blowing. I know I could turn away from it and face the sun, but that would be giving up, wouldn't it? If I get out of this throne, who will I be?

"Third, relate a personal and real-life situation which involved similar feelings and qualities which you have just described."

I chose this card because the Queen of Swords has always made me uncomfortable, and yet in the last couple of years she's become 'my' queen. This describes me in the bad days before my marriage ended - things were no longer good at all, it was pretty well just dead trees and stormy winds, but I refused to bring it into an end until I was absolutely positive there was nothing else to do to make it better. The thing is, when things are really, relentlessly bad, all the energy is sucked up in defending against the badness and there is really no room left to try to make it better. When, after a long time of believing that it was a decision I needed to make (and was ready to make...just not yet), he decided to leave, it was both a relief (finally, it's over!) as well as an outrage (he took that decision from me!) but there was a very surprising bit of pride I wasn't all comfortable with, that he was the quitter instead of me.

I'm still not exactly comfortable with this queen, but I think I understand her. When you have nothing left, sometimes you put all of your identity into being strong enough to handle the loss without flinching. (And yes, these days I'm facing that sun)

dadsnook2000

Hello

This Queen is particularly difficult to like as she is portrayed in many decks. Yet, she represents attitudes and situations that we all have and pass through from time to time. You have dealt with this step quite nicely. With vacations and helping kids get back to school and college I had not noticed your posts before this afternoon. Although we will soon be starting up the Adept Level of Mary Greer's book in the next couple of weeks, many of us will be following the first 21 steps in the Apprentice Level.

You may find that you want to follow our adventures in that series. Welcome and don't hesitate to ask questions here. Dave

kmartin60

21 ways....step 3...

Gothic deck....

Step 3-1---it is a cool (maybe cold?) night. Late and dark. Quiet.

Step 3-2---I wait in the chill of the night all alone. I enjoy the wuiet, but still viligently watch and hope for those that might seek me! I ahve my pets that would do anything i bid but still seek my own kind.

step 3-3---I remember waiting to hear the docs decisions about whether I needed surgery as a teen with my heart failing...

. No matter what I felt or knew I had to wait for thier knowledge for anyting to happen. yes, I had friends and my pets to wait with me but not the same. Still alone with the waiting. (Good ending tho)

Bluecat

Step three: revelations, 5 swords

1 This is a highly charged card with lots of emotions running through it. They are not happy emothions though but feelings of dismay and dispair. The whole tone of the card is cold - all warmth and niceties have left it. It is almost icey. One character has given up - he is emotionally drained to the point that he is to kill himself - though he seems almost to not even have the energy to do this. The other character is crying out in despair - hoping that someone will hear him. He is in turmoil.

2 I feel as if i have come to the end of the road - I can see no options to help me and why should I - the easiest way out is to end it all, quietly so no-one will notice... I can hear the cries of another troubled soul - seeking help, though he is also highly troubled. It is so cold in here - no heat, a very unpleasent place to be and there is nothing around me - I am alone.

3 Hmmmm.... I don't ever recall feeling this bad about anything! I have had a lot of difficult times at work recently but never got to the point of wanting to totally give it up... but interestingly this card came out reversed when I pulled it... I can relate to a desperate cry for help that the reversed image shows but not quite to the depicted extent!

faunabay

bluecat,
You are sure going to get some interesting information from using this card. Can you scan the card and post it so we can see it? It sounds really interesting ~scary~. It's really going to pull out some emotions!

Bluecat

hmmmm.... I will do when I get home and can figure out how to post an attachment!

faunabay

Oh WOW! That's good enough. That is going to be one freaky card to work with. You're very brave. :) But like I said before - you sure are going to get alot of emotion and information from it.

Bluecat

Emotion is the word - going deep into this card doesn't leave me feeling high to put it mildly but I intend to work through all the cards in this way if it works so I'll get a nasty one out of the way first!! Some of the other cards in the deck are just beautiful - to look at and emotionally!

flowerpower

Step 3 Universal Waite King of Wands

3.1 - This King seems to have an austere, steadfast look on his face. He appears to be somewhat tense and gives me the impression he's either looking at or thinking of something very important. The atmosphere around him is very calm with a pale blue backdrop, which is quite a contrast to the vibrant colors of the king (Orange, gold, green, yellow & black).

3.2 - I am the King of this land and I'm observing something important. It has my complete attention because it's outcome will be important to many people and affect many lives and it is my responsibility to determine what is best for the people of this land. The calm atmosphere is helping me to be able to give this matter all my attention.

3.3 - The most recent event in my life that I can relate this to was when my younger brother passed away earlier this year after a lengthy illness. He was a bachelor and didn't have a will, etc. Since I'm the oldest of my siblings and both of my parents passed away several years ago I ended up being the one to try to bring everyone together and get things taken care of.