missing piece on fool card

wind+fire

There is no symbol with a line and a couple curved lines on the fool card.
It's hard for me to explain. There is a letter or something on every Rider-Waite card except for the fool card.
I know about the fool being number 0. I'm not wondering about the numbers of the cards, I want to know if the symbols or letters on each card are supposed to represent the elements and why it's not on the fool card

teomat

Do you mean Pamela's signature on each card?
It's just a signatue by the artist, so doesn't really have any significance reading-wise.

Some people say it's on the Fool card on the cliff, but it's hard to make out. Others say she didn't sign it because she wasn't happy with it.

Faolainn Storm

Am I right in thinking that you are referring to Pamela Colman-Smith's initials which appear in the bottom right corner of all the cards? If you look closely it is a long p with a c and then an s over the top of the leg. If this is what you are asking about then it doesn't represent anything - its just the artists signature. Although I must say it is odd that it isn't on the Fool card. I haven't noticed that before!

Faolainn Storm

*snap*

wind+fire

cool

Awsome! That makes total sence. I was thinking that the signature was some kind of symbol or something. Thanx for clearing that up. I'm actually pretty embarassed that I was searching all day and night trying to get an answer to that.
Now I wonder what would be so bad about signing your name on a peice of art that you illustrated. Maybe she liked the fool card so much that she didn't want to ruin the piece with her signature. Thanx all

re-pete-a

just a thought,the fool is a un born personality pure thought,undefined, being neither male nor female but a description of a way.Artists being who they are can get into the feel of the subject,,,perhaps she decided to un ego herself
an interesting question none the less
________
Bdsm Mistress

Lavandula

Interesting that the nature of the Fool is that it is sort of outside the rest of the Majors in that it can belong anywhere and everywhere in the deck (being zero), and it's the one she didn't sign.

Teheuti

Lavandula said:
Interesting that the nature of the Fool is that it is sort of outside the rest of the Majors in that it can belong anywhere and everywhere in the deck (being zero), and it's the one she didn't sign.
Did you read through the other thread (see link above)? Pixie did sign it - sideways on the cliff. There are some versions of the card in which it is very easy to see, like the Pamela A and the original B&W illustrations in PKT.

http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/pixinitials.html

Mary