A "Practical" Tree of Life Spread

templumkat

Tree of Life Da'ath Position

Hello Rachelcat

As a bit of a Kabbalist (from the western esoteric viewpoint, anyhows) I love your easy take on the Tree and it's refreshing to see a no-nonsense spread.

So, as a bit of a Kabbalist, I'll have to suggest a couple of things to make it more complex - if you might like to consider another layer of interpretative possibility in your spread!

1. Da'ath Position. In a primary kabbalistic text, the Sepher Yetzirah, Da'ath is not considered a 'sephirah' ("10 not 9, 10 not 11 ...") so I might suggest making it a little different from the other positions. It's sometimes seen to be the "emergent principle" arising from the interaction between Chockmah & Binah. So, perhaps the card here could be selected as being the 'resultant' card from the two cards drawn for position 2 & 3? How would one select a card as being a result of two other cards? Hmmm ... anyone?

Otherwise, the card drawn as usual in this position might be taken to represent the "way out" or "insight" into the current situation. Something to be "known" but as soon as it is "known" it changes everything - the nature of Da'ath as meaning 'knowledge' yet not being a Sephirah.

2. It might be interesting to review a reading and see where the numbers fall. If there are more 1-5 minor cards it'd indicate perhaps that the answer is more at the "beginning" of the situation, whereas a weighting towards 6-10 numbers indicates the creative process is nearing its completion ready for a new cycle.

In Kabbalah, the Sephiroth are "numerical emanations" so the numbers on the minor cards might be useful here in a Tree of Life spread. If the cards are generally weighted in the middle ranges 3-7, then the position in which a card of a 1 (Ace) or 2, or 10, falls might indicate the 'pivot' area of the answer.

Just some Kabbalistic musings :)

Marcus
[link removed by moderator]

Teheuti

I keep playing with this spread and have evolved it now to a process where, as I lay out the cards, I say the position meaning. I start down the tree with the "pairs" - read the word to the right first for each line:

Form | Force
Against | For
Thoughts | Feelings

Then I work my way up the center, laying each card so it touches the one that came before. Start at the bottom of this list:

Spirit (at top)
-space-
Advice
Persona
World (at bottom)

I wasn't using Da'ath but now have added it as the last card - placing it crossways in the space indicated above, so that it forms a bridge between the right and left pillars. This seems appropriate for a card whose meaning is "Knowledge" (yet is hidden from the rest). The word Da'ath is the same word used in the "Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil" - so I'm using it as a way to bridge or link all the cards on the opposing pillars (or integrate as Marcus said).

I also tend to think of the Advice position as "my heart's advice" being as it is Tiphareth. Advice is active, as opposed to Da'ath/Knowledge which is passive, in that it underlies everything.

Saying the single word and laying out the cards in this way gives me a sense of ritual, wholeness and completion.

rachelcat

Mary, YES! Creation/emanation down the pillars of mercy and severity; ascension to spirit up the pillar of harmony! Perfect! That really is conducive to a meditative reading style.

templumkat, yes, the fact that the tree is based on number -- and that the courts have also been mapped onto the sephiroth, and the majors to the paths -- makes if very easy to bring "locational dignities" into a reading.

Wonderful insights!

yao

Very interesting spread...

I've been doing divination with this spread for a while and it's very challenging and interesting. Corelations between cards open a multitude of combinations (however, not so many as Celtic Cross, which is still my favorite spread, maybe because of more experience), also the questions for each card are more than appropriate.

Linda Gomez

Tree of Life Spread

The Tree is like a database server on which multiple systems may be applied individually, yet, are interdependent. For me, the spread you designed is too limiting; however, if it works well for you/others that is all that matters. My only suggestion is to consider if your interpretation of 2 and 3 should be reversed. And Yesod the 9th sephorith is a lunar energy. The 6th sephorith is a solar plexus energy. Whatever system you are focusing on, the other energies are not at bay. Stay balanced and mindful treading the paths of the tree of life.

rachelcat

Thank you, everyone!

Thank you, everyone, especially Mary!!!, for you comments and suggestions. and thank you, Mary, for your your interest.

My latest version of the spread is attached as a pdf. (Any goofs or weirdnesses are my own!)

I will be presenting it at the Washington Tarot Society meeting in March!

Attachments

• Practical Tree of Life Spread.pdf
    23.3 KB · Views: 636

Gederah

Tree of Life Spread

Hello Everyone! I am new to the Tarot Forum. I know this is an older posting that I am inquiring about. I am sure there have been many refinements on this Tree technique. I would really like to learn as much about this particular Tarot spread as I can.
I have a question regarding the use of the Tree Spread. (By the way rachelcat this looks GREAT!)
Have you been using the whole deck for readings or just the minor Arcana?
Also when interpreting the cards do you allow for interaction/influence of the associated cards assigned to the Tree Sephiroth and Paths? ie Will I interpret say a 4 of Pentacles placed on Chokmah or the (2) position based upon the influences of the four 2’s and the 4 Kings assigned to that particular Sephiroth and the Fool on path 11?
Or am I trying to make this too complicated?