Solving a Crime Spread

augursWell

Solving a Crime Spread (expanded)

Greetings,

I've been away from the forums for quite some time but I happened across this spread thread. It's a good idea and got me thinking. Here's my take on it...

1. Perpetrator.

2a. Opportunity
2b. Means
2c. Motive

3. Victim

4a. Crimescene
4b. Criminal Act
4c. Trauma (of the victim, physical/mental)

5. (this becomes one of the related cards, 2c above.)

6a. Event One
6b. Event Two
6c. Event Three

7. What links Perpetrator to Victim.
8. Outcome of the Investigation

For the physical layout of cards I tend to like positions that are symbolic of meaning. I came up with the following...

2a__6a__6b__6c__4a
_1__2b___7__4b___3___8
2c______________4c

This way, in the top row, Opportunity(2a) leads to three Event(6abc) cards which lead to a crime scene(4a). In the second row the Perpetrator(1) has a Means(2b) which is the Link(7) to the Criminal Act(4b) itself which is acted upon the Victim(3). Next to that is a possible outcome(8). In the bottom row is the Motive(2c) which leads across to the resulting physical/emotional trauma(4c) that the victim suffers. Other cards could probably be added to the bottom row.

Amanda

augersWell, I LOVE it! Very detailed and thorough, and it looks like it has a good logical sequence. I'm really glad you made up some positions for the cards as well, I prefer to see how cards are interacting in a pattern.

Thank you for adding to this thread! :)

augursWell

Thanks Amanda_04, your welcome.

I'm also a big fan of mystery/detective novels so this is interesting to me. The subject of trying it out came up in the thread above. I think someone could just take a real crime from the newspaper or local TV news and see if the spread provided any insights.

Metafizzypop

I like this spread too, but I'm confused about the #5 card.

Little Hare

I'd love to use this on old unsolved crimes... would love to see a seperate thread or forum just for the crimes :D

Little Hare

RunningWild

I like this spread too, but I'm confused about the #5 card.

I was confused as well but I think for position 5 you could use one of 2a/2b/2c as the focus for the queries of 6a/6b/6c. Does that help?

I understand augursWell's logic and I've tweaked the spread a little for my own benefit, grouping things around the Perpetrator and the 5 positions. If anyone is interested I could post the tweaked layout.

Amanda

I was confused as well but I think for position 5 you could use one of 2a/2b/2c as the focus for the queries of 6a/6b/6c. Does that help?

I understand augursWell's logic and I've tweaked the spread a little for my own benefit, grouping things around the Perpetrator and the 5 positions. If anyone is interested I could post the tweaked layout.

Yeah, go for it- I'm interested! :)

RunningWild

Tweaked Layout

Yeah, go for it- I'm interested! :)

I adjusted one or two positional meanings, or at least which areas they relate to, as well.

Solving a Crime Spread (Amended)

1. Perpetrator

2a. Opportunity
2b. Means
2c. Motive

3a. Victim
3b. Trauma (of the victim, physical/mental)

4a. Crime Scene
4b. Criminal Act

5. (this becomes one of the related cards-2a/2b/2c)

6a. Event One
6b. Event Two
6c. Event Three

7. What links Perpetrator to Victim

8. Outcome of the Investigation.

Layout:

******(2a)****(3a)*************(6a)
************************(4a)
**(2b)***(1)*******(7)*******(5)*****(6b)*****(8)
************************(4b)
******(2c)****(3b)*************(6c)

Once laid out, the right side should probably look more like an arrow leading to the Outcome (8)

augursWell

For the "5" card I included it in my list of cards because it came from the original layout by Amanda_04. In my version there actually is no "5" card, the "2c" card is used instead -- they are both the "Motive" card.

RunningWild

After thinking about it, I'm going to stick with what I said earlier. I like the number of cards in the spread and I think that 6a,b,c questions work well with any of the "2" questions. Thank you for clarifying.