Marseilles Seekers Thread (Third Exercise)

firecatpickles

Mine are coming out like lark's. It seems that I get a flash of one word, sometime two, but then that's it. That's all that will come to me.

I am doing 14 pips a day and I will post on Thursday when I'm done.

EnriqueEnriquez

Hello all,

It is all good. No one is getting it wrong because there is nothing to get wrong. We are just flexing our ‘analogical muscles’. The ideas is that, at some point during a reading, you will be able to see something in a card that escapes logical reasoning but will provide insight to your client/seeker. We only canb do that if we practice.

I just want to add that coming up with more than one word/concept for each card would be better because these concepts shouldn’t be taken as meanings, nor memorized, nor fixed. One day the Ace of Coins may seem like a backpack (nice one BTW!) and the next day it may seem as a turtle nesting. Remember: we don’t search for meanings, but for messages.

This is just a exercise. In practice it will become a lot easier to come up with analogies, since you will have a question or area of concern given by a client. This provides context and frames these analogies. A person who wants to know about her summer plans would more likely elicit in us something like: Ace of Coins = backpack, and a person asking if the time is right to buy a new home would more likely elicit in us a Ace of Coins = turtle nesting. This is not to say that “a turtle nesting” is the only possible analogy we can see in that card if we are thinking about buying a house (this goes back to our first exercise), there will be several analogies that could apply, all of them equally valid.

(BTW, right now that Ace of Coins seems like a pumpkin turned into a carriage ;-) )

You don’t have to come up with several words for each one of the pips. Relax and do what you feel you can do.

Perhaps those of you who already did the whole exercise would like to do it again on a different day.

Satori, you did great and now I would like to see some more literal examples: 10 of cups are “nine live fish eating a death fish”, things like that.

Best,

EE

firecatpickles

So I can go back through the deck (for simplicity's sake keeping the cards in the same order) and brainstorm through them again?

What I am trying to do by going through and looking at each pip card one-by-one is to listen to any signals, consonants, vowels, etc. that may form a word, or idea. Sometimes the sound comes from an external source, like a car door slamming or a dog barking.

Satori

Thanks E.
I was actually thinking about doing that, doing another list of the pips. I found it useful to do them randomly, not in order. It kept it fresher and more interesting.

I'm now looking forward to what I might see the next time!

Bernice

Noblet (Flornoy).

Strictly speaking, some of the things arn't 'things', I've just noted down what I saw when looking at a card.

3 Coins, Something special, a special place
5 Wands, A weather cock
6 Coins, An ornamental pond
9 Swords, Circular or tubular knitting
9 Coins, Table laid out for a party
8 Coins, Regiment of soldiers on dress parade
7 Coins, A favoured opinion, theory or concept
2 Swords, A celebration cake
5 Swords, Jar containing medicine, or disinfectant
4 Swords, Formal ball gown with fancy corsage
10 Coins, May pole, with people dancing around it
8 Swords, Signed, sealed and delivered, Official document
5 Coins, Advertisment for tins of polish
10 Cups, A beaded curtain
8 Wands, Sign for No through road
2 wands, Carpet that needs to be swept
3 Wands, Wind instruments, Pipes, flute etc
7 Wands, Skies fixed on the back of a car.
6 Swords, A Nature reserve.
5 Cups, Chimmney pots on the roof of a palace
6 Cups, Embroidered table runner
10 Wands, Signalling flags
2 Cups, Beach umbrella with two deck-chairs beneath it
4 Coins, Prize winnning jam tarts.
3 Cups, A divineing rod.
4 Cups, Tom-tom pole
2 Coins, Majestic swan
9 Wands, A railway junction
7 Cups, Candelabra
9 Cups, Group of people doing exercises
8 Cups, Trellis with flowers climbing up it
3 Swords, A life jacket
6 Wands, Cross roads with a candle at the veepoint
7 Swords, A Tai Chi master or expert
4 Wands, Tiny-waisted lady, successsfull diet
10 Sword, Archway of triumph

Not too sure if this is an ocupation undertaken by 'normal' people. Think we may all be going crackers.

Bee

EDITED: O.K. Killed off everything except for commas. :)

mosaica

Bernice said:
Not too sure if this is an ocupation undertaken by 'normal' people. Think we may all be going crackers.

LOL. I think it's more "crackers" to memorize or systemize meanings, but I suppose that is the "normal" way of doing things in today's culture, if meaning is appreciated at all.... I hope no one minds if I chime in here every once in a while. I'm the eleventh participant, the ghost of the group. :)

Mosaica

EnriqueEnriquez

Hello bernice,

You did beautifully. I won comment on all of them, but this ones caught my eye:

Bernice said:
10 Cups: A beaded curtain

2 Cups: Beach umbrella with two deck-chairs beneath it

3 Cups: A divining rod.

3 Swords: A life jacket

4 Wands: Tiny-waisted lady - successful diet

These are simply wonderful. I would love if you can do the exercise again, not because you did it wrong, but to see what else you can see. The idea is that, at one level, we repeat this exercise every time we look at a sequence of cards. The only difference is that our glance will be framed by our client’s question.

I am very happy with this.

Mosaica,

PLEASE, keep participating here as long as you feel comfortable doing it. I would love f you post your own list.

Best,

EE

firecatpickles

I am getting far more adjectives and verbs than nouns. Is this okay?

EnriqueEnriquez

Kilted Kat said:
I am getting far more adjectives and verbs than nouns. Is this okay?

Sure. Adjetives are great too. In a way we could even see the pips working as adjectives for the trumps, in that they modify/amplify/reshape the qualities of the trumps. That doesn't mean that the pips will always be taken as adjectives, but I find the simil useful.

Best,

EE

stella01904

I get a better flow when I don't do it one card at a time. Some of these fit II's and III's, some of them fit higher-numbered pips. I'm not anywhere near done, I'll edit in more over the next few days.

Batons:
Beams (solid); beams (light, laser); laser light show (like at Pink Floyd); trajectories; pipes; straws; firewood; pool cues; anything and everything phallic; looms/blankets; gate - crossed arms - crossed legs - bar the way/closed off; wicker; plaid/check patterns/ nets; screens; hurricane fences; latticework; lattice piecrust; bootlaces or similar lacings on clothing, etc.; stalks; trees; sticks; necks (flesh); necks (guitars, bottles, etc.); legs; table legs; interwoven designs, i.e., Celtic knotwork, tribal tattos, Chinese dragons, etc.; gun barrels; straws; compass rose; canes; hair; knotted/tangled hair; clock hands; antennaes (TV/radio); antennaes (insects); railroad tracks; hydraulic lift; exercise equipment; building frame/skeleton; crossbones (pirates, poinson); fingers; crossed fingers; X (as in letter "X", wrong answer, kiss, Gyfu rune, railroad crossing sign, tic-tac-toe, and so ad infinitum...also "unknown", e.g. "x factor", "Malcolm X", etc.);
cross stitch; baseball bats; hockey sticks; tool-related (handles for hammers, axes, etc,); horns; bird feet; crossroads.

Note: These threads are a kind of crossroads:
EnriqueEnriquez said:
I have come to understand that I have a non-Western approach to teaching. I see all what is there to be known about something as a circle. We stand at the center of the circle. Western education would stretch the circle into a straight horizontal line, so we can go from the beginning to the end. I prefer to keep the circle as a circle. We are all standing at the center, and each one of you will pull toward one section of the circle, or another one. That’s the section we will talk about. That way we go around, uncovering the whole circle, based on your inclinations, interest, and feedback. But here is the thing: I am hoping that by uncovering one section of the circle here, and another one over there, you will find sections of it that I am not aware of. This way, we will realize that the circle of what is there to be known about the tarot was, perhaps, bigger than what I had envisioned or anticipated.That way we all discover something.

And at the center of the circle is a kind of free-flowing intersection (crossroads) of ideas.

When a person makes a lot of progress very quickly, it's said that they "went to the crossroads."

So we get to be kind of like Robert Johnson, only with TdM. :D

ETA:

Swords:
Outer curved swords could be: a mandorla like Le Monde's; letter "C"s; parentheses; labia; lips; ribs, scythe blades, boomerangs, Chanel logo; eye (sideways); parting a curtain; torn seam on tight clothing; joining place of chain links; bows (archery); new and old moons; open wound; almost any opening or cut
The crisscrossed parts of the mandora: see Batons. The difference is that they are often pierced by a sword tip! Sometimes woven through, (VIIII) like a running stitch. Old-timey handmade quilt?

Inner Swords: Knives (all kinds); needles (sewing); needles (hypodermic); awls; saws; icepicks; screwdrivers; letter openers; anything designed to pierce or cut;

Cups: peeled oranges; pumpkins/gourds; garlic pods; trophies; vases; bowls; hollow organs (heart, lungs, stomach); locket/jewelry receptacle/place for something precious; filled pastries; balloons; balls; bags; candleholders; incense burners; urns; lamps; potpourri burners; flower buds; pyramids (base); pots; planters; pedastals; any receptacle (sink, toilet, wastebasket); faceted gems (base); crystals (base); anything waisted or nipped in the middle: dress, wasp, spider...;

I've seen the temple-on-a-pedastal on the Ace refer to one of those beach houses on stilts. So, any abode that is raised. Maybe even just a house on a hill.

Coins: Suns; flowers; buttons (especially brass buttons); nipples; medallions; those little crocheted balls everybody likes; anything round and patterned - a mandala, a hex sign, a round earring...; jar lids; navels; rectums; eyes/pupils; frisbee; sewer covers; pies; cakes; tostadas; pancakes; poker chips; a subway tokens; vinyl records; CDs; bottlecaps; magnifying glasses; contact lenses; drainholes; wheels; lifesavers (candy and actual); animal tracks; berets; a splash in a well;....

Once you start thinking of these, they keep coming at odd hours. :D
I'm going to stop now, though.