Why the Noblet?

tedglart

Noblet

To me, Type I decks (Noblet, Dodal, Payen, etc.) are like Robert Johnson, and Type II decks (Conver-based, CBD, Robledo, Jodorowsky, etc.) are like Eric Clapton. There's a baroque, Bach-like deliberation and precision about Type II, whereas Type I seems more cheerfully unselfconscious like the Early Music inspired by folk melodies. More "authentic"? Maybe there's a "class thing" involved too. The population of Type II is better fed. Life is harder for Type I people, closer to the soil. The facial expressions on the Noblet and Dodal seem depressive in comparison to the delightful winsomeness of the Madenie deck, and the superbeings of the Jodorowsky/Camoin. I personally much prefer the wind-picked spectres of the Dodal to the solid little chess pieces that inhabit the Noblet. The maker of the Noblet also seems rather insensitive to the symbolic potential of the images, but maybe my own hard-won prejudices get in the way of a fair appreciation of the deck's subleties. I wish Jean-Claude Flornoy was still around to do for the Madenie what he did for the Noblet and Dodal, to clean it up and make it a readable deck, but for the reasons stated above I'm not sure he would be be interested in taking on the task. Pablo Robledo, where are you?! You could make such a beautiful Madenie deck. The little - and I do mean little - Mamanmayuki deck from Japan is close to the Madenie, but it would be nice to have a full-sized exact replica to study the details.

cjxtypes

A Jean Claude Flornoy>> Madeline deck. That would have been divine!

eltarot78

Pablo Robledo, where are you?!

Hello tedglart, this year I have been learning various techniques and artistic disciplines, so my search would track to the woodcut, my strokes are to my liking and have already level my intended.

I tackled the project TdM II Robledo done in woodcut
(servers images to whom I am registered are not working for that reason I leave this link to a current picture)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...set=a.1024021359621.2005058.1197865735&type=1

tedglart

Woodcuts

Pablo, that is very exciting news. I love your work. Good luck with your new project.

3ill.yazi

Bumping to ask: can anyone tell me about the card stock for this deck? Thick, thin, rough, smooth, glossy, aromatic, etc? I've been unable to find any unpacking videos.

Placebo Scotsman

Bumping to ask: can anyone tell me about the card stock for this deck? Thick, thin, rough, smooth, glossy, aromatic, etc? I've been unable to find any unpacking videos.

The cards texture is what I would describe as a normal glossy, the type that covers mercantile card board like cereal boxes

At least on the pic side, the back pattern is slightly rougher

The stock is thick relative to the cards small size and rather stiff

It's not the easiest deck to slap shuffle but it can be done if you're will to put the extra wear on it

DeToX

I must say that whilst I really love the scans or photos of the facsimile/original Noblet I've seen, the reproduction by Flornoy leaves me a little cold - not because it's a bad repro (it is excellent), but that it is a repro. I just don't get excited by historical reproductions. They seem to lack half of the character of the originals somehow for me. I know some people prefer cleaned up repros but I'm not one of them. Sometimes I like to have both a facsimile (or more) of a specific deck together with a repro, to aid in studying the images and to see what interpretation decisions the artist made where the lines and colours are hard to make out. There are various reasons for making a repro of a given deck, and of course, all facsimiles being OOP is one reason. The Flornoy deck has been on my wishlist for a while but I've just lacked the motivation to pull the trigger. Given the recent popularity of the Noblet, I would imagine that a republication of the facsimile by the relevant publisher would surely be well received and not just sit on the shelves.

Yves Le Marseillais

NOBLET facsimile project

I must say that whilst I really love the scans or photos of the facsimile/original Noblet I've seen, the reproduction by Flornoy leaves me a little cold - not because it's a bad repro (it is excellent), but that it is a repro. I just don't get excited by historical reproductions. They seem to lack half of the character of the originals somehow for me. I know some people prefer cleaned up repros but I'm not one of them. Sometimes I like to have both a facsimile (or more) of a specific deck together with a repro, to aid in studying the images and to see what interpretation decisions the artist made where the lines and colours are hard to make out. There are various reasons for making a repro of a given deck, and of course, all facsimiles being OOP is one reason. The Flornoy deck has been on my wishlist for a while but I've just lacked the motivation to pull the trigger. Given the recent popularity of the Noblet, I would imagine that a republication of the facsimile by the relevant publisher would surely be well received and not just sit on the shelves.

Hello DeTox and all,

I know from good source that somebody is planning to do a real facsimile of NOBLET deck.

Probleme is that some original cards are missing. This is not impossible to redo them anyway.

On my side I will not do this facsimile of course because more decks has to be facsimilised and it's useless to compete.

Best

Yves

3ill.yazi

The cards texture is what I would describe as a normal glossy, the type that covers mercantile card board like cereal boxes

At least on the pic side, the back pattern is slightly rougher

The stock is thick relative to the cards small size and rather stiff

It's not the easiest deck to slap shuffle but it can be done if you're will to put the extra wear on it

Thanks!

What's slap shuffling? I suspect it might be what ruined my old RWS back in the day, but wasn't sure. I'm pretty much and over/under shuffler at this point.

Placebo Scotsman

Thanks!

What's slap shuffling? I suspect it might be what ruined my old RWS back in the day, but wasn't sure. I'm pretty much and over/under shuffler at this point.

I was trying to come up with an onomatopoetic definition for the normal poker shuffle

I thought it was called a riffle shuffle but somebody said a riffle is done from the sides of the deck