The Sun

tiger lily

I have an Aries Sun, but I never felt like a "typical" Aries. Now I read somwhere that the Sun is the goal - that part of us that we have not yet experienced but are headed toward; the Self that we are developing.

That would mean the death of Sunsign-astrology, wouldn´t it? If all those Aries (Arieses? What´s the plural here?), Taurus, etc. people actually aren´t "typical" examples of these signs. Is this true? How do you see the role of the Sun in the horoscope? I mean, this theory makes sense to me, since I´m not your typical Aries, but as a rule?

Would that mean that people with Aries or Mars at the Ascendant or an Aries Moon are "more" Aries than Aries Sun-people?

purplelady

I have never heard that (that the sun sign is the sign you are striving toward or going to become). Where are you getting this from? A certain book or web site? I have never felt at all like a typical capricorn either. And my sun in is my 12 th house , the house of secrets. That kind-of facinates me. I have heard of whole books dedicated to the 12 th house , and would like to pick one up someday.

tiger lily

I got that from a website. Sorry, I don´t remember which one; I copied and pasted it for my own use. Here is it:

"The Sun: Your Self and Future

From the Sun comes light, that which draws us into life. The Sun represents all the changes we have not yet taken, that part of us that we have not yet experienced but are headed toward.

The Sun represents our identity, or self, in that it is toward these that we are moving and developing. Thus, it also represents that which we will become: older people, authorities --
those we look toward, or up to. Our essence, or future. Teachers, gurus, and older (more experienced) people are represented by the Sun. The Sun is "hot stuff," those further up the road of life experience."

The Moon, in this article, is described as

"The Moon: The Support System

Here is information about the kind of environment we create around us, our support system. It is not only the surroundings that we set up today, but the Moon also represents our past, the particular history and social background out of which we grew. Aside from our social background, the Moon governs all of the old habits that we have grown beyond.

We tend to look down on, or back on, our Moon. It represents those experiences out of which we have come, all those younger souls who are unconscious, or "sub" conscious to our own level. "

Which is why I wondered if someone with an Aries Moon is a more typical Aries than someone with an Aries Sun.

nexyjo

from what i've read, i am a very typical taurus. stubborn, grounded, very steady until pushed over the edge, ruled by venus - love and emotion. i have a libra moon - they say the moon rules over ones emotional life, and libra defines that part of me quite well. i strive for balance, though i hardly have attained it. also, libra speaks of two sides, and i'm bisexual, another balance. it also points to searching for validation by others - a pretty big order for someone in my situation. my rising sign is cancer. ones acendant typically points to their intial response to things - how one responds to situations, their natural reactions. with cancer there, i'm highly subjective, and deal with things emotionally, as opposed to logically. i'm epathetic, yet over-sensitive.

basically, these three signs define me quite well - i am typical in all three cases. yes, i'm a basket case. lol.

i guess my point is that the sun sign, by itself, is really only a part of the whole picture. by itself, i don't know that it is very accurate. it's really the combination of those three attributes - sun sign, moon sign, and ascendant, where you can start building an accurate picture of someone.

clearly, there is much more to a person than even three attrbutes, and that's where the other planets, and where they are positioned on your chart, with regard to the houses in which they sit, and the relative positions of each compared to each other, that can also have far reaching effects in ones personality.

look at it this way. if i'm doing a tarot reading, and i pull one card, it can help me a little, but it is far from the whole story. pull three cards, and you have a basic outline of the trends and situation. do a celtic cross, and you start to get some real insight into what's going on.

luv and light,
nexy

AquarianGoddess

The Sun is the Inner Self, meaning it's really who you are on the inside. One will never have each and every characteristic of his/her Sun sign, but will have some.

Astrology speaks of the "Trilogy", which is the Sun, Moon and Ascendant. Together, they shape one's personality.

The ascendant, or rising sign is determined by one's time of birth. It's the beginning of the chart, or the 1st house. It's the way you show yourself to the world.

Let's say one is an Aries ascendant and a Pisces Sun. The Aries ascendant comes off as extroverted, assertive and sometimes brash. However, the Pisces person on the inside is shy, introverted and compassionate. Quite a difference!

Astrology is quite deep. Also our parents, upbringing, socio-economic background and the "world" we grew up in, shapes who we are.

mokie

tigerlily (06 Nov, 2001 07:52):
The Sun represents our identity, or self, in that it is toward these that we are moving and developing.

I would interpret that as a framework--that is, that the person's sun sign sets forward a pattern along which the individual will develop as they progress through life, and a pattern of challenges that they'll face in their lives.

Eg., I'm a Scorpio, but at times not a very Scorpionic-Scorpio; I have a bouncy and bubbly Sagittarius ascendant and a detached Aquarius moon, and either can come to the forefront...but the challenges that I come to, either in nature or in my perspective, are Scorpio challenges.