A Simplistic Rectification

Barleywine

I have a hypothetical chart for my mother, who passed in 2001, that I never spent much time with in terms of rectification. I set it up in line with synastry to my father's chart, which I rectified at some length using his several life-threatening surgeries and his remarriage in 2002. I erected her chart angles very roughly on the idea that nearly identical rising and setting degrees in opposing signs create a kind of "bond," like two halves of a whole (father = 26 Cancer rising, Mother = 24 Capricorn) - one provides what the other lacks. (Not to mention that Capricorn ascending fit her like a glove.) They were married for 56 years, until her death (although I think the marriage survived mainly because of his mildness). Also, her natal Moon was conjunct his natal Sun. Since she was gone, I didn't have much reason to go any further with it.

Looking back recently, I noticed that transiting Saturn was angular in the chart at 22 degrees of Capricorn on the day she passed, which looks like a good data point for shifting the Ascendant degree slightly. Also four transiting planets and the secondary progressed Moon (24 Aquarius) were in the 1st House Aquarius intercept (Placidus cusps). Progressed Moon was square natal MC at 23 Scorpio, and secondary progressed Mars was at 24 Scorpio. For what little it's worth, secondary progressed Pluto had retrograded to exactly conjunct her natal Moon. When I saw the Aquarius intercepts, it made me think she was ready to "disconnect" and pass over, and Saturn conjunct the natal Ascendant looked like the "trigger." Progressed Moon and progressed Mars contacts to the natal MC seemed like reinforcement.

As I said in the title, this is all very simplistic, and I don't want to spend a lot more time with it. But does anyone have any other major considerations I might throw into the pot? I don't have any facility with Primary Directions, although I've spent some time studying them.

ETA: Adding charts before somebody asks.

Attachments

• Father's Chart.jpg
    Father's Chart.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 187
  • Mother's Chart.jpg
    Mother's Chart.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 179

Minderwiz

I Ave a few techniques but they only work well if the native is still alive and able to participate. The starting point is to try and fix the Ascending Sign, using WSH,. That will work with a totally unknown birth time but is much easier if you have a rough approximation.

In this case, I'd start from your putative Capricorn rising and ask whether the other houses also fit. You've looked at the seventh as your Dad's ASC but does Cancer work as a description of the marriage? What house does Saturn fall in in your chart? Does it indicate an area of life with which she was identified? e.g. Saturn in the fifth might show her life identifiedbwith children ,- not jut you and my siblings but also a possible interest in issues relating to children. Saturn in the ninth might show an interest in HE or philosophical and other matters as the thing for which she's known. The same technique can be applied to the rulers of the other houses such as the Moon for the Seventh. Moon in the eleventh might suggest a happy marriage or one with a good circle of friends. Moon in the twelfth might suggest an antagonistic marriage where they become enemies (hardly likely for 56 years).

If you have no information at all, other than your guess at Capricorn rising, you could try an look at whether day or night birth is more likely. Which planet is likely to work best for her... It tends to be Jupiter in a day chart, Venus in a night chart. Threats are more from Mars in a day chart, Saturn in a night chart, but don't forget that if they are badly aspected that can change things.

The trouble you are faced with, given a totally unknown birth time is that more than one possible ASC works and you end up with, say, 3 contenders. In that case you will need to look at predictive methods in more detail.

Incidentally, Morinus (both versions) is excellent for Primary Directions and it's free!

Barleywine

I Ave a few techniques but they only work well if the native is still alive and able to participate. The starting point is to try and fix the Ascending Sign, using WSH,. That will work with a totally unknown birth time but is much easier if you have a rough approximation.

In this case, I'd start from your putative Capricorn rising and ask whether the other houses also fit. You've looked at the seventh as your Dad's ASC but does Cancer work as a description of the marriage? What house does Saturn fall in in your chart? Does it indicate an area of life with which she was identified? e.g. Saturn in the fifth might show her life identifiedbwith children ,- not jut you and my siblings but also a possible interest in issues relating to children. Saturn in the ninth might show an interest in HE or philosophical and other matters as the thing for which she's known. The same technique can be applied to the rulers of the other houses such as the Moon for the Seventh. Moon in the eleventh might suggest a happy marriage or one with a good circle of friends. Moon in the twelfth might suggest an antagonistic marriage where they become enemies (hardly likely for 56 years).

If you have no information at all, other than your guess at Capricorn rising, you could try an look at whether day or night birth is more likely. Which planet is likely to work best for her... It tends to be Jupiter in a day chart, Venus in a night chart. Threats are more from Mars in a day chart, Saturn in a night chart, but don't forget that if they are badly aspected that can change things.

The trouble you are faced with, given a totally unknown birth time is that more than one possible ASC works and you end up with, say, 3 contenders. In that case you will need to look at predictive methods in more detail.

Incidentally, Morinus (both versions) is excellent for Primary Directions and it's free!

Thank you! I have Morinus but haven't activated it yet on my new computer. I installed my old hard drive as a back-up in my new PC and everything is still there but I have to get it linked to the new registry.

There were a few other items of note in the chart that added verity: Jupiter rx is in late Pisces in the 2nd House (closely conjunct but cross-sign to Uranus rx), and she struggled prodigiously with the outflow (call it hemorrhage) of household money during her lifetime. Jupiter is opposite the Placidus 8th House Sun (she sure knew how to spend her partner's income!) and a bit widely trine the MC.

According to John Frawley, mutability on the 5th House cusp (in this case Gemini) can mean more than one child (as in two or many); she had nine children.

Saturn is in the 10th House, and Moon is trine the 9th House PoF. She had aspirations to be a nurse in the healing professions and went to school for it as a 20-something, but that all got belayed by marriage and children.

There is a lot more to look at here. Thanks for the inspiration.

ETA: By the way the marriage was very Cancerian in one significant way: accumulation (they "accumulated" children). :)