The Enchanted Map Oracle

chickeypie

Hello,

I bought this Oracle two weeks ago after doing an exchange in the ROC that I found interesting.

I have looked at the cards and the booklet but the creator is very clear about how she wants it used and I haven't felt drawn to read with it or even to do the meditation.

I haven't read much lately due to mood and maybe fear. I want the Oracle to do life planning / guidance type readings and I have two friends that would be interested in.This too. I am waiting on a job offer to get my life back on track and trying to live my best in the meantime. I'm scared I will not reach my goal and life is passing me by as I am 31, unemployment, single and not living in the country I want to live in. My family give me a hard time for chasing my dream career and life, but I don't want to settle for less. Maybe that is why I am not drawn to read?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this deck. What do you think about disregarding the creators advice?

2dogs

Disregard the advice ;). I used to have it and would just ask a question then draw a card from it plus a number of other decks and compare the images and perhaps open the book if I got really stuck :cool3:.

jolie_amethyst

I agree with 2dogs. If you feel drawn to using it in your own way, then do it. It's just a tool, after all. You're not limited to how someone else thinks it should be used.

Morwenna

I don't have it, but I agree that it's a tool for you to use, any way you see fit. Like any other system, it may have been constructed with one method in mind, and it does pay to see (and try) what the creator intended, but nothing's stopping anyone from running with it in a different direction. Look at all the methods there are for Tarot, for instance.

danieljuk

When I bought this oracle, Padma told me to ignore the book meanings before I even received it :D Some of the write ups cards are just horrible (in my personal opinion) and sort of preachy. Look at the cards first and what do you see? I do sometimes look at the book but I prefer my take on these cards when doing readings with them :) Looking at the cards are a much better way of reading with this deck!

I think we have to read every deck in our own way and our own perspective!

There is a study group for this deck here. If you have any thoughts on any of the cards which don't have a thread, you can start one. It's sadly a bit quiet there at the moment.

and still sending you positive :heart:'s Chickey!

chickeypie

Disregard the advice ;). I used to have it and would just ask a question then draw a card from it plus a number of other decks and compare the images and perhaps open the book if I got really stuck :cool3:.

You don't have it anymore? I love the images and I bought it because I love the idea of a "Map" Oracle while I'm trying to figure out my life path and have some friends undergoing the same crisis. I usually read with intuition when I read tarot. I will try your way of mixing Oracles with a one card reading from each. That sounds like a good way of getting inspiration and guidance.

Thanks.

chickeypie

I agree with 2dogs. If you feel drawn to using it in your own way, then do it. It's just a tool, after all. You're not limited to how someone else thinks it should be used.

I agree, cards are just a tool to open my intuition and inspire creativity. The author's directions on how to use them are just her opinion.

chickeypie

I don't have it, but I agree that it's a tool for you to use, any way you see fit. Like any other system, it may have been constructed with one method in mind, and it does pay to see (and try) what the creator intended, but nothing's stopping anyone from running with it in a different direction. Look at all the methods there are for Tarot, for instance.

Your right. There is no right or wrong way. I consider lots of different methods when I read Tarot and Lenormand so non traditional Oracles can develop new ways to read over time.

chickeypie

When I bought this oracle, Padma told me to ignore the book meanings before I even received it :D Some of the write ups cards are just horrible (in my personal opinion) and sort of preachy. Look at the cards first and what do you see? I do sometimes look at the book but I prefer my take on these cards when doing readings with them :) Looking at the cards are a much better way of reading with this deck!

I think we have to read every deck in our own way and our own perspective!

There is a study group for this deck here. If you have any thoughts on any of the cards which don't have a thread, you can start one. It's sadly a bit quiet there at the moment.

and still sending you positive :heart:'s Chickey!

Thanks for the link. I like the cards but then I read the book and was really put off. I will just ignore the book until I am stuck.

Thank you.

feynrir

Thanks for the link. I like the cards but then I read the book and was really put off. I will just ignore the book until I am stuck.

Thank you.

I really don't blame you. I had the Enchanted Map Oracle before and really, REALLY disliked the book that came with it. But you know what?

I've traded it away at this point and find myself missing those beautiful cards! They're healing without completely wacking you over the head with fluff. So pretty. :)

I think I'll buy myself a used copy again someday, so think twice before you trade, give, or sell, is my advice ;) I was just checking in on this thread to reminisce! Haha.