New relationship or merely an invitation..?

Annabel

I did a Celtic Cross spread regarding my love life just over a week ago, and I'm still mulling over the combined meaning of these three cards:

Crowning card: Ace of Cups
Near future card: 9 of Pentacles
Final outcome: (last card) Knight of Cups
All upright.

I see the Ace of Cups as a renewal of feelings, like a fresh start after a long period of loneliness and frustration in my love life. Also, the possibility of a new romance - nothing set in stone (after all it's only the ace, so just the seed) but a definite possibility!

The 9 of Pentacles, I thought was me being on my own a while longer - but happy to be on my own... And after reading up on it, it seems to make the most sense to me that she is a gardener. So, as you have to wait for a seed to sprout and then push up through the soil before you can see any real progress - so must I be like a gardener! Patient that is. Although it seems there is someone who is interested, I am definitely having a good old think about it before I make any firm decisions. (Reason: he's a heck of a lot younger than me!)

My immediate thought about the Knight of Cups was the guy in question, it describes him perfectly! Firstly, he is OH so young, creative and has loads of energy and charm etc etc. However, I could also see it as a situation or invitation. A couple of days after I did the reading I went out, saw this guy at the pub and he invited me to his next gig...!

Thing is, I am not having any trouble with the cards individually but as a whole? Does the Knight of Cups in the outcome position, coupled with the Ace of Cups augur a new relationship? I'm thinking of the Soul mate kind. But the 9 of Pents sorta put a spanner in the works there! Although I read somewhere it can signify two people with very different interests, friends etc, maybe two independent people. Or a couple who spend a fair bit of time alone together, happy and content in their own little world. Hmm. It's the only card that makes my original thought of an upcoming soul mate relationship seem off. Any thoughts? Always good to hear of things I haven't yet considered. Thank you in advance!

Goodluck

I did a Celtic Cross spread regarding my love life just over a week ago, and I'm still mulling over the combined meaning of these three cards:

Crowning card: Ace of Cups
Near future card: 9 of Pentacles
Final outcome: (last card) Knight of Cups
All upright.

I see the Ace of Cups as a renewal of feelings, like a fresh start after a long period of loneliness and frustration in my love life. Also, the possibility of a new romance - nothing set in stone (after all it's only the ace, so just the seed) but a definite possibility!

The 9 of Pentacles, I thought was me being on my own a while longer - but happy to be on my own... And after reading up on it, it seems to make the most sense to me that she is a gardener. So, as you have to wait for a seed to sprout and then push up through the soil before you can see any real progress - so must I be like a gardener! Patient that is. Although it seems there is someone who is interested, I am definitely having a good old think about it before I make any firm decisions. (Reason: he's a heck of a lot younger than me!)

My immediate thought about the Knight of Cups was the guy in question, it describes him perfectly! Firstly, he is OH so young, creative and has loads of energy and charm etc etc. However, I could also see it as a situation or invitation. A couple of days after I did the reading I went out, saw this guy at the pub and he invited me to his next gig...!

Thing is, I am not having any trouble with the cards individually but as a whole? Does the Knight of Cups in the outcome position, coupled with the Ace of Cups augur a new relationship? I'm thinking of the Soul mate kind. But the 9 of Pents sorta put a spanner in the works there! Although I read somewhere it can signify two people with very different interests, friends etc, maybe two independent people. Or a couple who spend a fair bit of time alone together, happy and content in their own little world. Hmm. It's the only card that makes my original thought of an upcoming soul mate relationship seem off. Any thoughts? Always good to hear of things I haven't yet considered. Thank you in advance!

The Ace certainly indicates that you're thinking about love and generally feeling open to it. In the crowning position, it makes it clear that that is what's on your mind, but to decide if it's indicating a relationship, I'd have to see several other cards to indicate romance. The Knight with the ace could lean towards an actual encounter, like an invitation from an actual man. However, that 9 of Pentacles indicates being on your own in the near future, so I'm inclined to read the Knight in one of its other meanings (in my experience, maybe not yours) which is idealization, dreaming but not acting, and wishing for a knight in shining armor.

It's hard for me to tell based on only the few cards you listed whether the Knight indicates your wishes or an actual person. The Ace and 9 make me lean towards you being happily single for a while, but in a positive emotional state and enjoying life while you think about what you want in a lover.

Even if this is the case, don't be discouraged. I recently did a reading about love and I got the Knight of Cups crossing, which indicated I was romanticizing the man in question and seeing things through rose-colored glasses. As a result, I went back to the drawing board and have really gotten clear about what I'm looking for, much more than I was prior to the reading. Some extra time alone can be a blessing in disguise.

What was the card in the environment position? That could help shine light on whether its conducive towards an actual man coming in.

I just reread your post and realize you mention "the guy in question." I didn't realize you had a guy in mind. What exactly was the question you asked Tarot?

Annabel

Hi Goodluck, thanks for your feedback. It's funny you mention the environment card, (which was The Lovers!) as I read up some more on that last night. To be honest, after reading more on it I realised I probably didn't actually need to post anything! It all clicked into place...

Although I'm still not sure how it actually relates to my 'environment', if I were to ask myself whether it's a supportive or non-supportive card - I'd have to say that it's supportive to what my intuition/heart's been telling me, as well as the other cards pointing to the possibility of a meaningful relationship. It's a biggy though - the massive age gap is really challenging and stretching my beliefs/conditioning and fears about that. I read somewhere that The Lovers isn't just about a big decision - but it's weighing up my own personal values and wanting to do the right thing... It's definitely been on my mind a lot, and it's certainly not something I would jump into without first being absolutely clear on my (and his) intentions. It's why the 9 of Pents now makes more sense to me. It's exactly like you said - I've been getting very, VERY clear about what kind of guy I want to be with, and I got to the point a little while ago where I stopped trying to convince myself I just wanted something casual. Literally just got to that point of real clarity and along comes Mr Knight of Cups! Very specifically inviting me to his next gig. (It's why I think that the outcome card was not only representing him, but his invitation.) My best friend was there and she said it was SO obvious he liked me, from seeing how he was with me. I don't generally ask the tarot questions, especially not yes or no types as I feel I never get a specific answer! So, it was more of a general 'what's happening with my love life at the moment?' type question. (With this guy in mind.) I'm aware there's never really a definitive or 'final' outcome to most things, but I always get the info I need :)

If it helps the crossing card was the 8 of Wands - which I feel was the 'swift action' on his part of inviting me out. I will never doubt the fast pace pace of the 8 of Wands again! I did the reading on the Tuesday, and then he invited me out when I saw him two days later. It's why I feel that it's actually one of those readings where everything it's mentioned has um, already happened! Still, I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about The Lovers...

Goodluck

Hi Goodluck, thanks for your feedback. It's funny you mention the environment card, (which was The Lovers!) as I read up some more on that last night. To be honest, after reading more on it I realised I probably didn't actually need to post anything! It all clicked into place...

Although I'm still not sure how it actually relates to my 'environment', if I were to ask myself whether it's a supportive or non-supportive card - I'd have to say that it's supportive to what my intuition/heart's been telling me, as well as the other cards pointing to the possibility of a meaningful relationship. It's a biggy though - the massive age gap is really challenging and stretching my beliefs/conditioning and fears about that. I read somewhere that The Lovers isn't just about a big decision - but it's weighing up my own personal values and wanting to do the right thing... It's definitely been on my mind a lot, and it's certainly not something I would jump into without first being absolutely clear on my (and his) intentions. It's why the 9 of Pents now makes more sense to me. It's exactly like you said - I've been getting very, VERY clear about what kind of guy I want to be with, and I got to the point a little while ago where I stopped trying to convince myself I just wanted something casual. Literally just got to that point of real clarity and along comes Mr Knight of Cups! Very specifically inviting me to his next gig. (It's why I think that the outcome card was not only representing him, but his invitation.) My best friend was there and she said it was SO obvious he liked me, from seeing how he was with me. I don't generally ask the tarot questions, especially not yes or no types as I feel I never get a specific answer! So, it was more of a general 'what's happening with my love life at the moment?' type question. (With this guy in mind.) I'm aware there's never really a definitive or 'final' outcome to most things, but I always get the info I need :)

If it helps the crossing card was the 8 of Wands - which I feel was the 'swift action' on his part of inviting me out. I will never doubt the fast pace pace of the 8 of Wands again! I did the reading on the Tuesday, and then he invited me out when I saw him two days later. It's why I feel that it's actually one of those readings where everything it's mentioned has um, already happened! Still, I'd be interested to hear what you have to say about The Lovers...

Hi, Annabel.

I initially wrote my response based on totally misunderstanding your question. I thought you were trying to see if a man would be coming into your life, and I didn't realize that there already was one. So, now that I actually understand what you were asking ( :) ) I think the reading is really clear. You did a great job interpreting and you seem to have a FABULOUS grasp on The Lovers! I agree that The Lovers is acknowledging your need to decide your path for deep-rooted reasons, as well as literally. I would add that this is probably something going through this guy's mind as well, since this is in the environment position. He may be weighing just what he wants/his intentions are, too.

The 8 of wands solidifies that this reading was, in fact, showing you the guy's immediate message/invitation, to me. I think you would want to do follow up reading about the possibility of a serious relationship, his intentions, what's best for you, etc. to really get an in-depth look at the potential. But, I don't see anything in the cards you stated that scream a warning (like if the Knight had been the Knight of Wands!). There's definitely a positive energy surrounding it all.

Good luck and thanks for sharing your story!

Annabel

Thank you very much :) It's so lovely to get a confirmation that I'm actually, slowly but surely, getting to know the cards! Very encouraging.

I didn't even think about *his* perspective! So thanks for noting that about the lovers in the environment position. I'm pretty sure he's aware of my age as well, so it makes sense he'd be considering at least some of the same things that I am.

I think the main reason I hesitated at first was that it was so positive I almost didn't quite believe it, haha! I will most definitely be doing a follow up reading - but seeing as the gig is this coming Wednesday I think I'm gonna see how things go first...

All the best, Annabel :)

moon_light

When 9 of Pentacles shows up in relationship readings (especially when indicating women), I generally take it to mean being comfortable with yourself and becoming your best self before embarking on a relationship. I think this ties in with the contemplation you're doing and the Lovers. If you are at 9 of Pentacles and he's a Knight, then I think it shows the age difference, too. I tend to think of her as a bit older and wiser.

Annabel

Yes, thank you Moon Light. I'd have to agree with you on all points there. I'd never seen the 9 of Pents as representing an older woman before, but as you said if that's where I'm at and the Knight of Cups represents him - then it certainly makes a lot of sense!

moon_light

Yes, thank you Moon Light. I'd have to agree with you on all points there. I'd never seen the 9 of Pents as representing an older woman before, but as you said if that's where I'm at and the Knight of Cups represents him - then it certainly makes a lot of sense!
Not old, just older... Maybe in her 40s. Older than a knight, at least. ;)