PCS Commemorative Tarot Set vs. PCS Centennial Tarot deck

Gulliver

Does anyone know whether there is a difference between the two decks? I suppose there isn't a difference, but you never know...

Richard

Does anyone know whether there is a difference between the two decks? I suppose there isn't a difference, but you never know...

Here is the official blurb:

The Smith-Waite Centennial Tarot Deck is a faithful reproduction of the original deck created by Pamela Colman Smith in 1909 under the direction of Arthur E. Waite. This classic tarot deck features full pictorial scenes in the muted colors chosen by Pixie herself. The deck was first issued in 2009 by U.S. Games Systems as part of the Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative Set. This stand-alone version is for collectors who want to keep their PCS sets pristine and yet do readings with this special deck.​

Gulliver

Many thanks, LRichard!!! So it's the same.
I think, anywhere here one could find the answer (probably) in a thread. But I didn't find it, maybe someone is looking for the same answer and will find it easier now.

rwcarter

I was told just this morning that some of the postcards included in the commemorative set have been turned into extra cards in the standalone deck. I haven't had a chance to verify that for myself though. The same person who told me also said there were color differences between the two decks.

caridwen

I think the Centennial is just the deck and the Commemorative is the set.
http://www.usgamesinc.com/Smith-Waite-Centennial-Tarot-Deck/

I am waiting for my delivery of the Centennial and it does apparently have extra cards:

The 84-card deck includes the standard 78 tarot cards plus four samples of Pixie’s non-tarot artwork: Much Ado About Nothing, The Gates of Dreamland, Christmas Carol and Once in a Dream.

greatdane

This is my favorite deck

I have two of the sets. I am curious what the standalone deck has. I would love to see pix of any additional cards even if I have them in the larger size!

prudence

I have the set, but I swear I did not see any extra cards/post cards at all. I'll go look again in my box. That's weird.

ETA~okay, so I'm an ass :D I just never really looked at what was in the left side of the box set. Oops. There are a number of extra cards, post cards and larger. Some of them are even frame worthy. I also have the Pictorial Key to the Tarot! Nice. I'll have to check it out some time.

caridwen

I don't understand the confusion. The Set does not have extra cards, the Centennial does.

This is the Set description:

The deluxe set includes the Smith-Waite Centennial Tarot Deck and two books; The Artwork and Times of Pamela Colman Smith, by Stuart R. Kaplan, with over 100 examples of her non-tarot art, and The Pictorial Key to the Tarot by Arthur Edward Waite, in a new format. The Smith-Waite Centennial Edition Tarot Deck is reproduced from the original 1909 deck and comes with a 78-card deck with drawstring organza bag.

The set also includes: 2 prints of Pamela Colman Smith, one photo and one self-portrait, both 5” x 7” suitable for framing; six color postcards of artwork by Pamela Colman Smith; and Spread Sheet Guide. Everything is attractively packaged in a deluxe keepsake case.
http://www.usgamesinc.com/The-Pamela-Colman-Smith-Commemorative-Set/

It clearly says it comes with a 78 card deck.

This is a description of the Centennial:

The Smith-Waite Centennial Tarot Deck is a faithful reproduction of the original deck created by Pamela Colman Smith in 1909 under the direction of Arthur E. Waite. This classic tarot deck features full pictorial scenes in the muted colors chosen by “Pixie” herself. The deck was first issued in 2009 by U.S. Games Systems as part of the Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative Set. This stand-alone version is for collectors who want to keep their PCS sets pristine and yet do readings with this special deck. The 84-card deck includes the standard 78 tarot cards plus four samples of Pixie’s non-tarot artwork: Much Ado About Nothing, The Gates of Dreamland, Christmas Carol and Once in a Dream.

It clearly says it is an 84 card deck which includes samples of PCS work.

It also clearly says that it is the stand alone deck version of the Set.

So just to clarify: the Set has 78 cards - the stand alone deck has 84 cards.

prudence

Sorry, chalk it up to me being lazy, mine is indeed the PCS Commemorative set, "featuring the Smith Waite Tarot Centennial Edition deck." I just said set because it's that much easier to type. ;) Also, I guess I should not have used the word "cards" to describe the post cards.

Anyhoo, pardon the confusion.

roppo

Below is my post to the PCS Commemorative Set thread, Tarot Deck section.

Today I received my Smith-Waite Centennial Tarot deck (I call it SWC13: and the deck in the earlier set SWC09).

Comparing them side by side, I noticed a verly slight difference. The thickness of SWC13 pack (78 cards) is 28mm while that of SWC09 is 29.2mm. And the color of 13 is, in my eyes, a bit brighter than the 09. The difference is really subtle.

SWC13 has five extra cards, one with the title and the face of High Priestess, and four showing some of Pixie's artworks. The 36 pages LWB tells the background story of RWS, divinatory meanings of each card, and celtic cross spread. Honestly I'm quite satisfied with the deck.