The Hermit and the Wasteland

DreamGhost

Wikipedia has this to say about The Hermit and the wasteland around him (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hermit):

"Shows an old man carrying a staff in one hand and a lit lantern in the other. In the background is a wasteland. Just beyond the wasteland is a mountain range."

For some reason, I always considered The Hermit as walking a slope on a mountain, or at the very least ON TOP of a mountain somewhere. Looking at the image provided in Wikipedia, I think I do actually see where the mountains in the background come from now, but they are quite very small. Hence, why I would see him as being at a high point in some mountains somewhere.

Where does the wasteland come into play, or is it the featurelessness of the background that means wasteland? Is that fog I see around The Hermit?

April

Keeping in mind that it is Wikipedia, and this particular article has two banner thingies (whadya call those anyway) saying that it's not quite up to snuff, I never thought there was a "wasteland" in this card. And this article hasn't convinced me otherwise.

I also think he's on top of a mountain (in the background is a mountain range. the end, says me), and I distinctly remember reading a book that agrees. Ahhh, but I can't remember which book. I think the reason why is that he was leading others up the mountain (with the latern). I imagine the author is just describing the lack of background detail, like you said, and the top of a tall mountain is usually pretty barren, right?

BUT, although I don't actually SEE a "wasteland", I understand where it might apply. History is full of characters heading off to the desert, wilderness, mountain, or cave to pray or meditate. Even if it's there, wasteland doesn't have to be taken literally. I think it just means moving away from normal society.

Ooooh, I just found an interesting definition of "wasteland" - "Something, as a period of history, phase of existence, or locality, that is spiritually or intellectually barren." That doesn't sound very Hermit like. So maybe no, no wasteland here?

Peace,
April

mystic mal

The HERMIT card is represented by Saturn which in turn represents time,maturity,old age,rocks and emotionally "dried up" to be filled with patience and wisdom.I guess the wasteland symbolises a barren outlook on life?

Honda Civic

I would agree with April that the wasteland is the natural habitat of the Hermit-- that is, away from everyone else.

It /can/ be spiritually and intellectually barren... but the Hermit understands that the ascetic life is supposed to be this way if he hopes to find anything inside him.

He's also got that lamp of faith to help him.

Elnor

DreamGhost said:
Wikipedia has this to say about The Hermit and the wasteland around him (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hermit):

"Shows an old man carrying a staff in one hand and a lit lantern in the other. In the background is a wasteland. Just beyond the wasteland is a mountain range."

It could be that comment in Wikipedia has a lot to do with the sad way that Western society still sees the Earth as something that must be profitable in some way to humans, else it's just classed as 'wasteland', (or even better yet, 'waste ground' which makes it a good place to dump on.)

Deserts are considered big empty spaces that are good places to dispose of nuclear waste... vast oceans are good places to dump barrages of rubbish... and tough luck to any of the creatures that happen to call those areas home.

I think that might have something to do with why the Wikipedia writer took one look at a rocky mountain top and classed it as 'wasteground'.

One thing that occurred to me when I first studied this card is that those isolated snowy peaks collect the snow that; when it melts and runs off in the spring, replenishes the seas, rivers, and the valleys below.... sort of like the Hermit's spiritual wisdom and example can at times also nurture those on the path below him.

Sorry- have recently been doing research about nuclear waste, and at the moment I'm on my environmentally-conscious soapbox!
WASTE-land... grrrrrr!!! :mad: Ok, I'll shut up now. :grin:

elnor

Vetch

Another take on this:

My teacher (who is deep into mythology) taught me "wasteland" eg. in a fairytale was a symbol of death, of the other/underworld. Many heroes have to pass through that land to fufill the circle and be reborn wise and complete.

Thus the Hermit can represent such a wanderer.

rcb30872

I wouldn't have thought that it was a wasteland, more like what April said, on top of a snow covered mountain. Kind of makes sense, as in stories, the hermit usually lives up in the mountains. Which makes it more like what it should be, cold and isolated, afterall mountains are not the easiest places to live, with the air being so thin, and would make breathing difficult, if not acclimatised to it, of course.

Amazon

I see him as being on the peak of a mountain where he is able to look at both his past & his future. He now has the maturity to look back at his past & the wisdom to not make the same mistakes in his future. Because he has done some soul searching/introspection he only needs his staff to support him & the lamp to light his path.

Teheuti

DreamGhost said:

This description is clearly not from the RWS nor Marseilles decks. I think that writer is referring to the Whare Ra Golden Dawn deck:
http://www.hermetic.com/gdlibrary/tarot/whare_ra/tarot3.html

Or, the Wang/Regardie version of this deck:
http://www.learntarot.com/gddesc.htm

Mary

missreeny

Amazon said:
I see him as being on the peak of a mountain where he is able to look at both his past & his future. He now has the maturity to look back at his past & the wisdom to not make the same mistakes in his future. Because he has done some soul searching/introspection he only needs his staff to support him & the lamp to light his path.

I agree with this. I also think the hermit is searching for something more than others can see therefore he stands on top of the mountain and sees the problems of everday life below him, he is above these problems searching for something else. He is seeing things from another level/perspective thus the mountain represents this different perspective.

I never saw this as wasteland!