Sola-Busca Tarot

trzes

Thank you trzes! You're right though, I don't think the scans are doing them justice, unfortunately. I don't have the Il Meneghello edition, sorry!

Two more scans: A detail at 600 dpi without any correction (close to what the orignial cards will look like through a magnifying class). And a modified version with slight moiré-removal and made a bit smaller (close to the visual impression of the original cards).

The contrasts are a bit better on the orignal cards. But the colors do look muted on the cards too, which I guess will correctly reflect the colors of the origninal paintings.

I think the very slight glossiness (no plasticy feeling at all) adds to the warm and smooth impression of the images on the cards as opposed to a computer screen.

Attachments

• SolaBuscaMayer_Detail.jpg
    SolaBuscaMayer_Detail.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 197
  • SolaBuscaMayer_DetailModified.jpg
    SolaBuscaMayer_DetailModified.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 201

Bluefeet

I have both versions and overall I prefer the Il Meneghello reproduction, which has more saturated colors, faithfully reproduced card backs and textured card stock.

Nevertheless, both editions are equally stunning. :D

ETA- From the left: Il Meneghello, Mayer.

Attachments

• SB Compare.jpg
    SB Compare.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 225

trzes

Thanks very much, EnchantedShadow, for the comparison!

What's interesting is that the red colors in the Meneghello edition look a fair bit more purpelish, which seems to be closer to the Lo Scarabeo edition. This doesn't fit with the claim made in the tarotpedia article (http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Sola_Busca_Tarot) that both Mayer and Il Meneghello have same colors as the original while the Lo Scarabeo has a modified color scheme.

I wonder which color scheme really is closer to the original ...

Bluefeet

Thanks very much, EnchantedShadow, for the comparison!

What's interesting is that the red colors in the Meneghello edition look a fair bit more purpelish, which seems to be closer to the Lo Scarabeo edition. This doesn't fit with the claim made in the tarotpedia article (http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Sola_Busca_Tarot) that both Mayer and Il Meneghello have same colors as the original while the Lo Scarabeo has a modified color scheme.

I wonder which color scheme really is closer to the original ...

From what I understood, the Mayer edition is printed based on scanned cards while the Il Meneghello reproduction is made to look exactly like the original. Therefore, I think the Il Meneghello edition is overall closer to the actual cards.

trzes

From what I understood, the Mayer edition is printed based on scanned cards while the Il Meneghello reproduction is made to look exactly like the original. Therefore, I think the Il Meneghello edition is overall closer to the actual cards.

That was my suspicion too. As far as I remember looking at late medieval paintings in museums red cloaks of people depicted there tend to be more purpleish than orange indeed.

That doesn't depreciate the Mayer edition at all. The look and feel of the cards and the details are quite perfect. And it has all 78 cards, not only the trumps. But it seems that I'll have to get the Il Meneghello edition too now, *sigh* (actually more of a nice excuse than an obligation :D).

ETA to correct misleading punctuation

Bluefeet

Agreed! The Mayer is still important due to the fact that it's the only 78-card reproduction available. Plus, it comes in a gorgeous hand-crafted box to house the cards. :D

starlightexp

Having both myself I look at them am just scratch my head. I want to use them but ... well.. how ?

tarot heart

Thanks for the extra scans Trzes and ES! From the comparison scan, I'd say the Mayer edition has richer, more jewel-like colors and they even seem more even. Both beautiful cards though! I certainly could not justify having both...hmmm.

Thanks! :)

Le Fanu

Having both myself I look at them am just scratch my head. I want to use them but ... well.. how ?
You need that Vincenza book (?) It tells you what you need to know.

I have the Mayer version, #99. I LOVE it. Just fantastic in every way. I'd go for the Meneghello version too but why majors only? This was obviously a deck created as a 78 card unit, not majors only that it seems a bit superfluous, apart from being beautiful.

If you wanted to study it there'd be only one choice. But this breath took my breath away when I received it.

starlightexp

I'd go for the Meneghello version too but why majors only?

I know. I WISH they had done the full deck, but I can only imagine the cost of just doing the majors for them. The deck is stunning.. off to get a new book ... which one are you referring to Le Fanu? :)