The Second Card in the Celtic Cross

Aeon Sage

Can someone please let me in on this mystery:
What is up-side-up and up-side-down fo the second card placed in the Celtic Cross Spread?
The thing that led me to ask this is the fact that the card in question is side-ways
So what is the reversed and unreversed position for that one?

Disa

That's a good question! I don't see it as reversed or not reversed. That position to me means what is crossing, or blocking the first position, so I just sort of read it as an obstacle.

Hope that helps. I'm sure you'll get other answers.

Disa

firecatpickles

If you look at the "foot" of the card pointing toward the 10th card & the 7th card, and all three making a triangle that affects the overall outcome, it may help.

If the "head" of the card is pointing in that direction then it is upside down.

Dolphin_Dreamer

Hi

To save my confusion I usually just lay it as I do the others, just over lapping...

colorwalk

I usually look at the cards orientation before setting it down on the spread, so I already know whether it's reversed or not. And if I fail to do that for some reason, I still know because the way I lay the card down is always the same- I treat the "foot" of the card as the side that's facing positions 7-10... so if it's reversed from that point of view, then the card is reversed.

So all in all, whether the card is reversed or not (for me) just depends on whether it would've been treated as reversed had the card been laid down in the usual vertical manner. :)

Aeon Sage

To Make it more Clear

I understand that the Second Card in the Celtic Cross means Oppostions, but what is backwards for a side-way Card.

Although here's a theory: 'Reversed' is meaningless in that part of the Celtic Cross.

starrystarrynight

I, as Aeon Sage noted, have read in many books that the cross card in the Celtic Cross spread is always read as upright.

Dolphin_Dreamer

Aeon Sage said:
I understand that the Second Card in the Celtic Cross means Oppostions, but what is backwards for a side-way Card.

Although here's a theory: 'Reversed' is meaningless in that part of the Celtic Cross.
Cards in reverse either have a different meaning of the upright version or means go back to the lesson in the previous card (of the deck. ie 3 of cups rev'd would hold the meaning or the upright 2 of cups)... But it's up to you I guess how you read rev'd cards or if you do...

Usually it's what is in conflict, and this could be a good thing or bad, depending on the question. But I somewhat feel that correct reading of the conflict card can really change the meaning of the rest of the spread or the micro cross in general.

Dolphin_Dreamer

starrystarrynight said:
I, as Aeon Sage noted, have read in many books that the cross card in the Celtic Cross spread is always read as upright.
Have you tried to do it that way? Look at your readings in retrospect... what fits? Also think of the Death card, I've read many books saying that the Death card meant someone was going to die. Later many books disregarded that meaning... The point is read with an open mind -- books and tarot cards and the theory behind reading them.

IndigoWonders

Disa said:
That's a good question! I don't see it as reversed or not reversed. That position to me means what is crossing, or blocking the first position, so I just sort of read it as an obstacle.

Hope that helps. I'm sure you'll get other answers.

Disa

Depending on the situation, I read it as crossing OR reinforcing card #1.