Right-Side Down Tarot

bizarre_tarot

I'm working on a tarot deck and wanted to share my process. I didn't realize how long it would take to make a deck. I figured that by posting each card I would feel more committed to getting through all 78. My deck is based of rider Waite but with a lean more to the surrealism kind of art style. Because I try to design images that are a little "out of the box" I hope that I can stay within traditional meaning. I keep changing between different names; Bizarre realm, Bizarre other world, Deep bizarre madden world, Bizarre dream realm. I have no idea what the name should be but I do know it should have the word bizarre in it because that word came to me in my dream as did most of the ideas for my cards. As a starter, I am posting my concept for the high priestess. Although almost finished, there are soo many imperfections with this image but I figured that I needed to stop and start a different card in order to keep the flow going. All comments are welcomed; good or bad, I would love to hear them all.

Once all of the sketches for the 22 majors are cranked out, I might go back and add color? I haven't decided yet.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2013/072/9/f/high_preistess_test_by_l0st2bf0und-d5xyvsb.jpg

tarot heart

Seems like you have artistic talent, keep it up. If you get stuck, move on to the next one then go back later with fresh eyes. I am not seeing anything bizarre about it so far. As for the title, how about The Not So Bizarre Tarot? I am suggesting that title sincerely. I hope you don't think your deck has to be bizarre to be good. In any case, I like your work so far! :)

dancing_moon

She's beautiful! :) And yes, a bit bizarre, as for me. :D I think she looks nice in black and white, but if you add good color, she might become even more enchanting.

I agree with Tarot Heart, don't get stuck on one card. Work on it as long as you feel you're improving it, then let it rest for a while and work on other cards.

Looking forward to seeing more! :heart:

bizarre_tarot

"The Bizarre, not so bizarre tarot" I love it!! Thank you guys!!! Your words are truly motivating. I don't think it has to be bizarre but I always loved surreal work that was weird and had objects that normally aren't paired together, together. I don't if this makes sense. It's just a concept that I thought would challenge me as an artist both creatively and physically when manifesting the piece.

How to use this forum just came into question for me. Since I might start one card and drop it half way to start another, is it better to post a good enough sketch of each card (and just edit and re post a better version with time) or completely finish a card and post once its all done?

dancing_moon

Since I might start one card and drop it half way to start another, is it better to post a good enough sketch of each card (and just edit and re post a better version with time) or completely finish a card and post once its all done?

I think it's up to you. Normally, guys 'finish' a card reasonably before posting it for discussion and comments, but I've seen it done otherwise. Some people even post several versions of the same card to get tips and choose the best one!

MagsStardustBlack

Wow I really love your style, so dark and yes bizzar and beautiful, keep up the gorgeous art work, I look forward to seeing your deck ;.)

TůRo cards

Very nice! I can see either a greyscale deck or something with splashes of color working for you.

bizarre_tarot

Thank you so much guys. I'm currently up to my 8th card ( creating a deck is taking longer than what I thought it would). Once I've thoroughly conceptualize and complete the Major arcanas I'll present maybe three different colored versions of the same card so I can get help to decide which one.

Oh and the deck is no longer named " Bizarre tarot". Instead I'm leaning towards " Right-side down tarot". I'm constantly making revisions to everything. Hopefully this name will stay though.

Alta

It is a striking image. I also like the suggestion of just small splashes of colour.

If you ever want the thread title edited to reflect the name change, just PM me.

bizarre_tarot

The more that I picture having splashes of color, the more I'm starting to really like the idea of it. I love the advice. Thank you so much Turo Cards and Alta.