Protecting Artwork and Other Stuff

BodhiSeed

I've got an idea for an oracle that I've been doing some artwork for, but how do I protect it if I don't produce it myself? This would not be a deck, but wood engravings that would be accompanied by a lwb.

tarotbear

Remember - nothing actually protects your artwork from being stolen - if someone wants to do it - they will find a way. :(

If it's 'not a deck' - what exactly will it be? 'Wood engravings on ... ?' Sounds beautiful and interesting!

My initials and the year appear on all the cards in my deck - in the design - not in the border where they can be removed with cropping. I also included the 'name (C) year' on the packaging in a couple of places. If you put this up for sale on your blog or whatever you have to clearly state 'All artworks depicted herein are copyrighted,' in fact - any time or any place you put an image you have to include the fact that they are, indeed, copyrighted. Also - you never put all your images up - even on different sites, because someone will track them all down if they want to copy them. Only put the same 3 or 4 with the comment that 'The full set of 20 is available, etc."

It's a lot of work.

PS - Unlike a book (copyrighted by the publisher) or a deck by US Games (copyrighted by USGS), using TGC or Printers Studio DOES NOT mean they are copyrighted; they are only the printer - YOU are considered the publisher - and you have to take the steps yourself.

BodhiSeed

(((Tarotbear:heart:))) Thank you for your words of wisdom (especially with all of your experience in the publishing world)!
I'm doing some artwork (with a historical basis) that I hope Waleswoman will be able to engrave on some wood pieces when she is well. I don't want to let the cat slip out of the bag just yet, especially since I have loads more work to do.:) I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

geoxena

If you're in the US, you hold the copyright to any original creative work you do, immediately upon its creation. The only protection you have is to register it with the copyright office, so that there is proof that you are the creator. If you want an artist to execute your concepts, you hire someone and have them sign a contract agreeing that they are doing a "work for hire" and will not own any part of your copyright. If you contract a printer to print your work, you license it to them in a limited way, so that they are allowed to print it but are only licensed to do that and nothing else with your creative works - you retain the copyright. Again, that requires a contract. You cannot copyright an idea or a title, but you can trademark certain titles and characters, if they are not already trademarked. Trademarking is a whole different ball of wax.

As far as putting images up on a website, you can watermark them and there are clever ways a website developer can prevent people from downloading, but there is always a way to get around that stuff if someone is determined, so copyright registration (and the ability to enforce it) is the best protection.

The copyright office's website has lots of information: copyright.gov

HudsonGray

I believe it is $40 now to register a work. Your work would be the entire completed series as one 'item'. The paperwork is very easy to do, the copyright site gives you everything you need.

Work your name into the design. I know of several artists (most notably Robin Wood) who do that as a matter of course, so the name can't just be erased easily, it's integral to the design in the artwork.

tarotbear

By any standards - $40 is cheap! I didn't read the copyright office link (thanks for providing it, tho!) so the $40 is their fee?

HudsonGray

It's $35 if done electronically, $65 if done by mail. I rechecked their website. Tarot decks would be filed using the VA (long or short form).
------------------
Basic Registrations
Each registration must include properly completed application form,
nonrefundable filing fee, and nonreturnable deposit.

$35 Electronic registration through eCO
$65 Registration on Form TX, Form VA, Form PA, Form SE, and
Form SR

Processing Time for e-Filing: generally, 3 to 4-1/2 months

Processing Time for Paper Forms: generally, 5 to 8 months

Zephyros

Anything can be copyrighted, but actual protection depends on what you're willing to do to protect it. US Games' copyright on the RWS is highly contested, but they have the resources to go very far in order to make sure no one violates it, and that isn't even their own original work.

Chimera Dust

Strictly speaking, even though someone could still steal the artwork as others have pointed out, what matters is that you take the steps to ensure you could verify you were the creator of the artwork. That way, they would be dissuaded from trying and if they did you could build a legal case against them more easily.

I agree with the suggestion of registering the copyright on your work. That way you'll have a way to verify that information.

Another important thing is to be careful where you share it. If you're concerned about printers using the artwork without your permission try to look for feedback about them and see what experiences other people have with them. If you're worried about people copying pictures on your site, you could watermark them or share them only partially. While that doesn't make it 100% impossible that something could go wrong, it makes it less likely.