Defensiveness

jenessa

I'm currently refining my card meanings and have yet to assign a card to cover the concept of defensiveness. I'm thinking in terms of someone who REACTS by putting up there defenses, whether warranted or not.

So i'm not thinking in terms of the need to defend your position, but rather i'm trying to apply this concept to someone who is merely defensive & otherwise unable to get to the heart of the matter/core of a situation, given their tendancy to employ this tactic.

Any thots on what card(s) could suggest defensiveness in this sense?

Papageno

8 of swords

Northwind

A classic for me is 4 Swords in the RWS style. The person simply shuts down in the presence of reality. Passive behaviour is a kind of defensiveness.

Another one perhaps is 5 Wands. Playful jousting can also be defensive.

Of course it depends a great deal on the question and other cards.

Page Swords is another classic but more active defensiveness of course.

Just on the run. There will be more from others.

Papageno

Northwind said:
A classic for me is 4 Swords in the RWS style. The person simply shuts down in the presence of reality. Passive behaviour is a kind of defensiveness.

I never thought of the 4 swords that way. denial of reality, psychological escape. it's certainly noteworthy, especially if it comes up with The Moon and/or 6 cups. that will go in my notebook.

but for me, when I hear the word "defensive" the 8 swords represents more decisive action, the barrier one puts up in a dangerous situation, or having fled from a dangerous sitaution (6 of swords).

lili

The 9 of wands, page of swords are the cards i see as someone being deffensive.

WalesWoman

I think 7 Wands could also be seen as being defensive, standing their ground even tho' they may be of two minds about it, or logic is cracked. In a way 8 Swords might also be a bit defensive, using the swords to isolate oneself or maintain boundaries.

But the card that really looks like defensiveness to me is 2 Swords, blindly warding off any approach with the crossed swords.

Thirteen

I'm in agreement with both 7 and 9 of wands.

7/Wands is pure defensiveness. The person feels like they're under attack and they are going to stand their ground no matter what. They are right and everyone else is wrong! This is the sort of reaction you get when someone says, "I think your idea needs work...." And you go, "It's prefect! How dare anyone say otherwise!"

9/Wands is about holding the fort. You aren't the ONLY one defending whatever it is you're defending, but for the moment, you've been left on your own and you have to protect it vigilantly. Think of the only person at a party who is of a certain political party and everyone else is other party. You're not alone in your stance, but it's going to feel like it till help comes.

8/Swords is actually the opposite of defensiveness; you're singled out, alone, imprisoned. Everyone's talking about you...and you can't defend yourself. You're bound and helpless.

4/Swords is less passive-aggressive defense than it is retreat so that one can regain their mental strength and go back to fight again.

Papageno

just did a reading for myself and 9 of wands popped up. it spoke of defensiveness, vigiliance, preparing for the last stand. how's that for coincidence. was meditating on the reading and remembered this thread, laughed to myself about it. just thought I'd share for what it's worth.

Chronata

For me...the card that represents a defensive person...one who has been hurt and is just not seeing solutions to problems because of it...

that would be the two of swords.

In the RWS the figures postureand body language speaks of this...plus the inability to open ones eyes and see that there is help available...

star-lover

jenessa said:
I'm currently refining my card meanings and have yet to assign a card to cover the concept of defensiveness. I'm thinking in terms of someone who REACTS by putting up there defenses, whether warranted or not.

So i'm not thinking in terms of the need to defend your position, but rather i'm trying to apply this concept to someone who is merely defensive & otherwise unable to get to the heart of the matter/core of a situation, given their tendancy to employ this tactic.

Any thots on what card(s) could suggest defensiveness in this sense?

the 4 of pentacles (defence out of fear - blinkered and does not want to see differently or upset the apple cart though ironically he wants to ) and the knight of swords - his attacks are self defence protection and self interest