Are there any cards you check before getting a deck?

treelet

I'm disabled and can't work, so my income is severely limited. I also have severe PTSD and some imagery is legitimately very triggering. This means I'm typically very picky when it comes to decks. I check for people of color, I like my Lovers/Two of Cups/Ten of Cups cards to be not terribly straight or cis, and I'm pleased if the court cards defy traditional gender roles. This doesn't mean I'll completely ignore a deck otherwise (I DO use my RWS on a daily basis, after all) but going forward in my studies it simply makes me more comfortable and therefore more likely to continue my practice, which is intrinsically linked to my self-care.

SashaCY

I'm disabled and can't work, so my income is severely limited. I also have severe PTSD and some imagery is legitimately very triggering. This means I'm typically very picky when it comes to decks. I check for people of color, I like my Lovers/Two of Cups/Ten of Cups cards to be not terribly straight or cis, and I'm pleased if the court cards defy traditional gender roles. This doesn't mean I'll completely ignore a deck otherwise (I DO use my RWS on a daily basis, after all) but going forward in my studies it simply makes me more comfortable and therefore more likely to continue my practice, which is intrinsically linked to my self-care.
I understand you.
If I could I would get as many decks as possible but in reality sometimes I can't get a new one in years because my income has to go to other stuff (like paying debt or covering daily needs)
So being picky with the deck I'll buy is totally necessary for me.

It is very interesting that you mention triggering cards (in this case because of PTSD). I hadn't seen that but makes a lot of sense.

ldiddy

My favorite cards are The Fool, The Magician, and the 5 of Pentacles. I wouldn't say it's more often that an individual card can "make" rather than "break" a deck purchase deal for me, though.