What individual cards do you have trouble connecting with?

Teyata

Me too specially when three of the suits are men lol
pages - young people, all men, Knights, young men, all men, queens all women (young or old) kings (older men)

so we have psychology and all sorts so any suit or court card actor could be male or female and any age as a temperament..and then situations, bit of a confusing mess

I suppose when these cards were created that was the order of things, but where is the depiction of a say 13 yr old girl in the courts??

It's true. Historically they were much more readily accessible.

I like the way the Wild Unknown, and likely other decks, have restyled Kings - Queens - Knights - Pages as Fathers - Mothers - Sons - Daughters. That make more sense to me, but even then, I see no fundamental difference between a father and a son or a mother and a son. After all, all living sons and daughters had a father and a mother who were also sons and daughters of someone else :p As my boyfriend once said, "Parents are just people who had children."

And for the record, thankfully I have a great relationship with my parents.

Philistine

Fathers - Mothers - Sons - Daughters. That make more sense to me, but even then, I see no fundamental difference between a father and a son or a mother and a son. After all, all living sons and daughters had a father and a mother who were also sons and daughters of someone else
The difference between a father and son is one is much older and has more life experience and wisdom. The paradigm in the court cards (for me) is the Kings are late in life, while the Knights are in their early prime. Pages are adolescents: the inexperienced initiate. But that doesn't mean an older person can't exhibit behaviors indicated by a Page (just like a man can exhibit behaviors indicated by a Queen).

The card I love but always struggle to interpret in a reading is The Star. She cleanses herself? She empties the jugs . . . but why? What exactly indicates optimism in this card? She is certainly serene and the stars bring clarifying light as opposed to the moon's light of confusion, but I still cannot quite bridge this card with the rest in a spread. I've read dozens of interpretations, but this card just goes through my brain and out the window. Typically I end up applying intuition and just making something up based on the mechanics of the image.

Obsydian

My other tough card is the Moon. The Moon has so many negative meanings such as deception, confusion, insecurity but then others say it is a transcendence, wisdom and insight, and then others say it is just stirring up your emotions and dreams.

When I think of the Moon card, my mind goes over to this poem:
"Cold hearted orb that rules the night,
removes the colours from our sight.
Red is grey, and yellow, white,
but we decide which is right,
and which is an illusion." - The Moody Blues

To me it's an illusion, that you must sometimes second guess what you see in the moonlight because you're not seeing it in it's proper light. From there it gets a bit deeper, but this is how I go about it. :)

My problem card tends to be the Hierophant.

DaughterOfDanu

Pages. Always the pages. Recently I've gotten much more comfortable with courts in my own way. Sometimes I see them as "degrees" of the suit (Ex. The King would exhibit more of that suit's associations than say the Page), other times people, other times personality traits. It all depends on the spread, the position of the card, and what my intuition pulls up. But for some reasons the details and even to an extent what the page as a role represents just baffles me. I feel that knights carry the suits energy forward, that queens can represent a more feminine/innate/intuitive twist on the energy, and that kings are "Masters" of it. But the page I don't have the greatest grip on.

Also I'm loving this thread. I'm learning new ways of looking at certain cards :)

Obsydian

Pages. Always the pages.

This just came to me and I thought I'd share (and because I thought it was cute but it may not be all true):

Pages are Immature
Knights are Impulsive
Queens are Intuitive
Kings are In Control (that was pushing it)

I have a hard time gripping them as well at times, they can sure be tricky!
I'm a page of cups personality, and that means that sometimes I don't have the greatest control of my emotions. I haven't mastered it yet, I'm quite sensitive and sometimes can be immature with them if I don't watch out. They are learning how to control their element!

LeFou

...The Star. What exactly indicates optimism in this card? She is certainly serene...

The ancients might have seen Star as optimistic for many reasons, maybe:

1. Stars are part of the "eternal order," implying an ordered universe.

2. Star movements "caused" agricultural success (via seasons).

3. The North Star is a "true guide" for mariners.

4. Auspicious events coincide with "signs" like the Star of Bethlehem.

5. Stars represent "time itself," eternity, the birth of the universe, so "creation." They are the "home of the gods." To dwell there is to be (as you mention) "serene," free of earthly concerns.

Some ancients believed that night-stars caused dew. Some moderns think she is scrying, thus reflecting back to us our own practice of divination, seemingly affirming our desire to see the future with a gentle, peaceful "don't worry" vibe, everything turns out okay in the end.

INIVEA

The Star

The Star

The star also is about replenishing and replenishment. She pours water into the water, She pours water on the earth.

This can also be a nourishment or nourishing of yourself or environment.

INIVEA

The Hieophant

The Hieophant

This is a simple as simple as one gets.

anyone who works or not that has knowledge of something you don't.

ie: have you heard this phrase, "you learn something new everyday"

Going to a library, looking for a book or article, but don't know where to find it. The Librarian will help you.

Shopping for clothes, sales rep. always will help you

Cell company staff, full of info, and will help you with plans, contracts, explain everything to you.

Sales reps have to know their products inside and out, but you don't, they will be happy to explain to you all about it.

Lawyers, they know all the laws, and will help you.

Metaphysical shop staff, full of info. and will guide and help you in whatever area you interested in or don't know what direction to take.

MissChiff

The Chariot.... I draw a blank at mastery....

Emma313

It's true. Historically they were much more readily accessible.

I like the way the Wild Unknown, and likely other decks, have restyled Kings - Queens - Knights - Pages as Fathers - Mothers - Sons - Daughters. That make more sense to me, but even then, I see no fundamental difference between a father and a son or a mother and a son. After all, all living sons and daughters had a father and a mother who were also sons and daughters of someone else :p As my boyfriend once said, "Parents are just people who had children."

And for the record, thankfully I have a great relationship with my parents.
That was a great quote,, our parents were just people who had children, we tend to assign parents with all sorts of responsibilities as if they should be atlas sometimes

As a mother I feel I'm expected to be all the gods all the time lolol