Predictive vs lessons

Amanda

I guess my goal with this thread is to find out how other people predict and find a jumping off point that kind of matches where I come from until I make it all my own :) your replies are very helpful

Ah, the true heart of the question! Why didn't you just say so? This is a safe place... we're not all looking at you going: "We got a non-predictor over here! This one's no good, we gotta throw'em back!" :joke:

I would recommend a couple of spreads to you:

Past - Present - Future &
Situation - Advice - Outcome

You need to get comfortable making the "sequence of events" connection first before you go off into left field making straight predictions and giving out details or timing.

Walk, don't run. Several of us in this thread that are confident about making predictions have been working with the tarot for years and have developed a deep, intimate, and personal understanding with it.

It has a structure and it is going to take your analytical mind to understand it. That is why I mentioned something to you in the Tarot Decks thread about just getting an oracle if all you wanted was an intuitive tool. ;) A logical understanding of the tarot WILL help you develop your intuitive senses. You need both.

If you got a deck that pretty much only engaged your intuitive mind, how would you ever know how to be able to do the same thing you just did all over again? You wouldn't. You would just get seemingly random information and not know how you got it or how to strengthen your ability to get it. The structure of the tarot and using your intellectual mind to understand it will help you develop that intuitive ability.

Shade

Just in case my last post came off as a little intense I just wanted to say that wasn't my intention. It's very likely I over explained that one. Sometimes when people ask predictive readers about why they read that way it can sound to (especially defensive) readers like:

"Don't you think it's silly to believe that and unethical to tell clients these things?"

I'm definitely not saying that's where I felt you were coming from, it's just that's the approach that often gets taken.

Learning Lenormand made me a better predictor with Tarot - the stricter rules are better for it.

When learning to give more predictive readings, I say start with the courts. In a Life Lesson reading the courts often represent an aspect of self. The Queen of wands is the client's charismatic, outgoing, open side. In a predictive reading (depending on the position), they are more likely to be a person. In this case the Queen of Wands is an outgoing, charismatic person who is great at social media and throwing parties.

liveandbloom

I mull over these questions, too.

In a reading, I earnestly look for meanings in the cards that can be figured as a plausible response to the querent’s question.

Tarot is a mystery, though, at least to me. I practice it because my experiences with it have shown it can be helpful, and I enjoy it. Since I don’t know exactly how it works or what its limits are, I remain open to looking for answers to questions concerning the future. Sometimes, I won’t see any meaning that makes sense in the context of the question, and I’ll just say that. Or if I'm feeling I shouldn't go there, for whatever reason, I think "I don't know" is honest and appropriate. But if I do see signification in the cards that I think could figure as an answer, I will present it as a possible interpretation of the cards.

I don’t think this means that I’ve made a prediction, nor do I think it means that I think I have the ability to. I’m careful about the wording I use. I try to attribute the response to the cards and limit my role solely to that of an interpreter. Sometimes I struggle with the language.

It’s not exactly a disclaimer of involvement or responsibility. I acknowledge that my world view, my values and biases, my mood and so many other aspects of myself are factors that influence the meaning I see and choose to communicate to the querent. I’m totally responsible for all of this. But what the querent goes on to do afterwards has everything to do with their own choices. They chose to look for information and answers in tarot. They chose to ask me for help in interpreting meanings. And they choose their next actions.

That said, I firmly believe that an obsessive focus on anything we don’t have control over can lead to a number of problems (anxiety, for one). Since I am concerned about the querent’s wellbeing, I do try to focus the reading on what I think is in the querent’s locus of control.

I think it’s equally important to also question and examine what I believe to be in my locus of control. I think we’ve all felt at one point or another that we could see a querent's blind spot, and because of that, we have a “better” perspective on their problem. But there is so much that I don’t know about this other person, no matter how well I think I understand them or the situation they are involved in. I don’t think I can (or should) assume that I know better, so I try very hard to keep my own convictions from getting in the way of simply looking to the cards for meaning or response.

I think this may be some of the hardest work involved in practicing tarot. And it is never as clear as I’d like it to be. There are so many factors in the activity of reading for someone else that I think I have control over but I don’t really, at least not 100%. But I still think it’s a wonderful practice, so I keep working at it, playing with it, and I keep trying to learn and refine my own thoughts about it. None of what I’ve said here is final. It’s constantly evolving.

I really appreciate all the discussion here. It’s helping me to clarify my own thoughts on these issues.

One more note: all the usual language about not consulting on matters best left to professionals (medical/psych/legal/finacial) applies to me too.

liveandbloom

My main concern about the style to use for a reading is that it answer the question. If the client's question is "Will this relationship work out?" and the reader decides to answer the question "What do I need to focus on spiritually to love myself more?" then I feel there is a disconnect.

I agree. I think if you decide not to answer the original question, you should make it clear that you're doing so.

SunChariot and delinfrey, both of your posts on how you carry on with a querent who wants a predictive reading are really helpful.

Does anyone have experience where you've suggested a modification to your client's question and the client refuses? How do you work that out?

If someone is going to be a predictive reader, their biggest enemy is Ego. ...

If someone is going to be a spiritual lesson reader, their biggest enemy is Ego (you saw that coming right).

Haha, yup, totally with you.

To me, tarot doesn't tell things we don't know. It doesn't give answers. Instead, I feel it provides a framework to help us ask the right questions and illuminating the answers we already know. It provides encouragement and warnings.

There's a sort of mantra that keeps coming up for me around tarot, and that is, "Tarot only ever tells us what we already know." I'm not gonna go on and on about that one, but what you said above resonates.

So when you say "warnings", are you talking about how recognizing patterns in the present and past can help us avoid pitfalls or other problems in the future? I feel like this relates to what Grizabella was saying about how it's difficult to differentiate between advice and prediction in a reading.

Shade is totally right about the ego involved! Instead of wording readings in ways that will impress the sitter, you should just say or write what you see, exactly what you see (or feel). It might not be popular with the person but I bet they say it's more accurate about their lives!

This is the way that I try to read, too.

But do you feel comfortable predicting that the sitter's future lover would have dark hair and be tall? I consider all the cards simply motifs and metaphors, so finding actual detail like that is beyond me. But I'm very interested to see how much the placebo affect comes into play. Are they more likely to look for that type of person and find them, thus confirming? Or would they pass up on really good match bc the sitter is looking for that specific quality?

I'm really curious how much those kinds of effects come into play, as well. I see them as falling under cognitive biases.

I think Shade's response to this is interesting. In some ways, naming specific traits of a person (indicated in the cards) had the effect of expanding, rather than narrowing, what the querent was inclined to think of as her options. (Also interesting is the third-party validation of the clairvoyant.) It affirms my feeling that we can't always be sure what kind of effect will come about from what we read in the cards.

I'm glad you could help guide her to him if it had been my reading I'd have asserted that maybe she needs to open herself up to connecting with a hopeful romantic to balance out her life of hard work. In your opinion, would the client walk away with the same benefit if it was read the two different ways? I know it just comes down to syntax: do I tell her she WILL meet someone, or do I indicate she should ready herself to the possibility of meeting someone? I'm sure you'll say that's a personal choice, I'm just trying to understand when or if to predict instead

Yeah, it's a good question. Does the syntax make a difference? To me it does. I think I'm intuitive, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm psychic, so I'd be more more inclined to say that the cards indicate a likelihood or not, if I thought they could be sensibly read that way.

Sometimes the syntax doesn't seem to make any difference, though. If someone has a very intense desire for a particular outcome, their wishful thinking filter can distort clear language into the message they want to hear. I've had this experience in conversations with friends, completely outside of the context of tarot readings. I've been in those shoes, too, where my wishful thinking is severely distorting my view.

I don't do readings for others because I don't want to take on that kind of responsibility and because I don't think my rhythm would work with others. I tend to mull over spreads for days, looking at individual cards, obsessively doing new spreads on particular cards and so on. I don't think it would be very practical.

I see the practicality issues, but I love the thought of working out the meaning of a spread over a longer period of time. You get to look at it from all different angles, and allow for meaning to well up, to develop. I often find that I have new thoughts about a spread's meaning after "sleeping on it".

I feel differently about where responsibility lies, though.

To answer the question though, I always value prediction over any sort of lesson. That's the point for me. Tarot can tell me what is likely to happen and what is not as likely to happen. It can tell me about obstacles I'm not aware of. If I need advice, I'll add an Advice position in the spread and I'll take the advice from the source, not the reader. I don't like giving out advice regarding the future so I'm not really hot on taking advice from people who are just as clueless as me in the grand scheme of things.

I guess I don't believe that my goal in life is to become some cheerful little Yoda, learning life lessons and becoming wise. I feel more like driving a boat through dark waters, needing some help with avoiding reefs. As long as I know or suspect where the reef is, I can take care of the sail-around. Including the decision of whether to sail around or test the hull and break into it.

But don't you ever learn anything, someone might ask. Sure, I've learned the best lessons after mistakes. But it's such a personal process that I doubt it can have the same value or impact without a mistake to shake you and without self-inspection so I'm not convinced anyone else is required directly.

I'm having trouble with the very last sentence, but I think I get the gist of what you are saying. It definitely feels like a very personal process, and there's a way that it feels very trusting, like whatever you choose to do, the way you do it, that is right, it's your path to follow. It makes sense to me.

You say you're not interested in becoming wise. Yoda aside, does that mean you don't care about wisdom at all? It seems that if you value experience, even if you feel that is all that you are after, wisdom is the inevitable by-product. Perhaps this is exactly what you're saying, actually?

Learning Lenormand made me a better predictor with Tarot - the stricter rules are better for it.

I know very little about Lenormand, but now I'm curious.

Padma

I find that Lenormand is a far more precise tool for effective "fortune telling", to be sure. However, for a simple system, it has many shades of language it uses to convey its message.

But I also think the tarot does it very admirably as well. It is sarcastic, funny, nuanced, and sometimes incredibly compassionate.

I have come to the conclusion that the tarot has been so over-complicated over time with a baggage-load of theories, prejudices, heavy jargon (both scientific and spiritual) and over-analysis, both scientific and intellectual, that its primary function and voice is being completely lost.

How do I predict the future with the tarot? I look at the cards, and I listen to what I hear and see, and I relay that information to the person sitting for me. It is that simple.

chaosbloom

I see the practicality issues, but I love the thought of working out the meaning of a spread over a longer period of time. You get to look at it from all different angles, and allow for meaning to well up, to develop. I often find that I have new thoughts about a spread's meaning after "sleeping on it".

I feel differently about where responsibility lies, though.

Yeah, I see some spreads more like a riddle than a direct message. Especially the ones that might contain more than one eventual outcome. In fact I don't think I completely stop interpreting and wondering about spreads until their time limit is up which I always incorporate in the questions. This way I'm trying to get a personal connection or rather a personal interpretation dictionary after seeing what each card means in my situation.

The responsibility isn't just that I might be held accountable for bad reading or bad advice (although I avoid doing that, at most I just think out loud different options I can see but without suggesting any one of them is appropriate). It's also that I don't consider myself a good enough reader to accurately interpret the cards. I'm fine with checking different books and my notes when I read, slowly building up a situational meaning but that doesn't really work when reading for others. They'd think I can't remember the meanings of all the cards and that's actually an accurate impression for some of the odd ones.

I'm having trouble with the very last sentence, but I think I get the gist of what you are saying. It definitely feels like a very personal process, and there's a way that it feels very trusting, like whatever you choose to do, the way you do it, that is right, it's your path to follow. It makes sense to me.

You're right, I butchered that paragraph. I meant that I learn through my personal experience and my critical ability. Simply following someone's advise never has the same impact of reaching the same conclusion after you break your face by not doing that. You might do as you're told and follow good advise but you don't see the real value. The process of getting to that conclusion is just as valuable as the conclusion and that process can give you knowledge that can be used in more things than just that particular mistake or issue. I think I've managed to muddle it more.

You say you're not interested in becoming wise. Yoda aside, does that mean you don't care about wisdom at all? It seems that if you value experience, even if you feel that is all that you are after, wisdom is the inevitable by-product. Perhaps this is exactly what you're saying, actually?

That's what I believe but I wasn't really saying that, you're getting intuitive on me again. :joke: I really meant that I have a dislike for prepackaged ideas pushed as "wisdom" and "life-lessons" that are little more than very common platitudes. Continuing from the above, just because the adage that "love is all you need" for example, works for some people in a certain frame and state of mind, with certain principles and priorities doesn't mean that it will work for me if all those attributes of mine are different. I might value justice and respect and liberty instead, or just as much as love or even more. There's a problem in that very few tend to question these common notions so I'm usually the sore thumb, ending up generating my own conclusions and wisdom which isn't very transferable to others but oh well. What can you do.

ravenest

I really like that tarot can be different things to different people.

Personally, I don't feel comfortable predicting things such as what a future lover may look like, or that someone will be getting a raise. My comfort zone is more in relaying the positive lesson of the cards and the warnings they indicate.

That is my approach too .... well, after the first 10 years or so of reading. I also believe each card has its own inbuilt remedy within it, if the energy or situation it represents becomes unbalanced. But that requires a system of relevant and interconnected knowledge of the whole 'gnosis of the deck' .

At a time of a reading, these 'lessons' may or may not be relevant ( although , at times the querent has communicated that the subject matter has great personal relevance - but many dynamics are at play there ) ... but IMO , no matter, as it is all knowledge and useful in one way or another.

Do you feel comfortable (and honestly believe?) if you choose to give detailed predictions? How do you follow up? I'm really interested, but hoping it doesn't start a sh*tstorm debate lol

No, I dont. Even more so when they come true ... it causes a flap and people start seeking such external trivialities and ' shiddhis ' over the things they really need and what would help them more.

youareafool

That is my approach too .... well, after the first 10 years or so of reading. I also believe each card has its own inbuilt remedy within it, if the energy or situation it represents becomes unbalanced. But that requires a system of relevant and interconnected knowledge of the whole 'gnosis of the deck' .

At a time of a reading, these 'lessons' may or may not be relevant ( although , at times the querent has communicated that the subject matter has great personal relevance - but many dynamics are at play there ) ... but IMO , no matter, as it is all knowledge and useful in one way or another.

No, I dont. Even more so when they come true ... it causes a flap and people start seeking such external trivialities and ' shiddhis ' over the things they really need and what would help them more.

Thank you very much for your reply. I was hoping I could find someone else who was in the same boat as me. I really feel like you hit the nail on the head as to how I feel. I believe that the lessons of the tarot are universally true. To live the human experience is to have a basic understanding and therefore relationship with every card of the tarot. This is true even if you've never heard of tarot. If I were to show someone ANY card, explaining it properly to them would trigger those feelings and thoughts that are related. Our job is to find the most relevant way to explain it.. Idk, I guess I feel they already know things the SHOULD and SHOULDN'T be doing in their life. They know their issues and the circumstances. I feel they come to us for readings BECAUSE they know these things. What they need is to awake memories and hopes and focus that come from the tarot's lessons. I feel like I did my job when they walk away deep in thought, with new focus and a silver lining on every cloud. I don't feel like trying to describe a future lover or if they are going to get a raise is doing my job. I support anyone who feels comfortable predicting doing so- I envy you! I just don't feel comfortable because I am just to pragmatic to feel authentic about it. Wish I could just let go a little, maybe with time.

Starting this thread was important to me because I realize that you don't know how to approach tarot if you don't have a basic "understanding" of your own belief structure. I have to ask myself if I believe in certain things that are required to believe in certain aspect of ritual and the mechanism of tarot. So in an attempt to better understand these cards I kind of have to choose a belief structure that feels right to me.
I believe in energy, divine science, and Tao. So I believe that the cards react (since EVERYthing reacts to everything according to the observer principle) to certain energies. I believe in potential energy in any energy that has momentum. And to me, this is a way for me to think that SOME type of prediction is possible. I am looking into understanding the Tao of Tarot. I'm even envisioning an 81 card deck based on the versus of the Tao Te Ching (another topic for another day [emoji28])

I really enjoy seeing all the commentary back and forth about this!

ravenest

And I enjoy it when someone can comprehend what I write ( as I often wonder ).

My approach to a reading is this ( considering what I wrote above ) ;

I either, summarize to a whole, or settle on a section or card, depending on what the querent wants. I relate the essential lesson , its pros and cons. They querent may or may not relate it to a specific event or theme in their life. If they dont, it may occur later and they are forearmed and informed. If not, it might apply to another that they come in contact with or observe. If not, still, its valuable info.

At times, people have returned and told me it did become relevant and helpful ... there are probably times when it did not and they considered the whole thing perplexing or BS ... I dont know, no one has returned and given me that feedback .

I also do not relate the querents ( or MY OWN ) psychological associations to the reading. That is up to them, if they bring it up and ask, then it might be explored.

[ Eg, Lets say I had a father issue and the Emperor triggered me on that . I would never suggest that what it means for a client ( a lot of the time these readers own issues can be projected on to the client ) . But then, if a client bought it up themselves, then it could be looked at. ]

The 'understanding one's belief structure' is important. In theurgy it is known as 'one's magical view of the Universe' ... it doesnt matter so much what it is, but it should be representative of nature ( or 'reality' ) and internally consistent. because it is an analogy and a metaphor ( yep, even quantum physics ) ... all the pieces gotta fit to make a coherent whole.

Also, in the 4 requirements for a healthy psychology it is very important ; 3rd principle - Check the internal map , that is, every so often, check your internal subjective reality ( map or model) with the objective outside reality and any developments and discoveries

.... updates now available .... download ?

youareafool

And I enjoy it when someone can comprehend what I write ( as I often wonder ).

My approach to a reading is this ( considering what I wrote above ) ;

I either, summarize to a whole, or settle on a section or card, depending on what the querent wants. I relate the essential lesson , its pros and cons. They querent may or may not relate it to a specific event or theme in their life. If they dont, it may occur later and they are forearmed and informed. If not, it might apply to another that they come in contact with or observe. If not, still, its valuable info.

At times, people have returned and told me it did become relevant and helpful ... there are probably times when it did not and they considered the whole thing perplexing or BS ... I dont know, no one has returned and given me that feedback .

I also do not relate the querents ( or MY OWN ) psychological associations to the reading. That is up to them, if they bring it up and ask, then it might be explored.

[ Eg, Lets say I had a father issue and the Emperor triggered me on that . I would never suggest that what it means for a client ( a lot of the time these readers own issues can be projected on to the client ) . But then, if a client bought it up themselves, then it could be looked at. ]

The 'understanding one's belief structure' is important. In theurgy it is known as 'one's magical view of the Universe' ... it doesnt matter so much what it is, but it should be representative of nature ( or 'reality' ) and internally consistent. because it is an analogy and a metaphor ( yep, even quantum physics ) ... all the pieces gotta fit to make a coherent whole.

Also, in the 4 requirements for a healthy psychology it is very important ; 3rd principle - Check the internal map , that is, every so often, check your internal subjective reality ( map or model) with the objective outside reality and any developments and discoveries

.... updates now available .... download ?

Yes this is in alignment with my own thoughts. And I'm glad someone around here is in the same ballpark as me, it's quite refreshing. I would really like a reading circle in this style to exchange with people :)