Tree Wisdom with Playing Cards

BodhiSeed

I found some cool playing cards at www.newtscards.com that have pictures of trees from around the world. Using several books as resources, I put a meaning with each type of tree. Thought I'd share my new "Tree Wisdom Oracle" with you:

Alder - emotional release, detachment, objectivity
The alder inhabits watery places and uses the waters of rivers and streams to disperse its seeds. The wood is oily which makes it very resistant to decay when in water.
Almond - balance, moderation, health
In ayurvedic medicine the almond is viewed as a balancing food. The protein content aids in the stabilizing of blood sugars, while the potassium, magnesium and calcium strengthen the nervous system and provide energy.
Apple - desires, temptation, obsession
The "biblical" apple mentioned in Genesis was invented in 425CE by the theologian Cyprianus Gallus. Because of such folklore, even though the original Hebrew text simply mentions "a fruit," the apple tree became associated with temptation.
Ash - harvest, planning, cycles
The ash is one of the prime trees used for coppicing, and hence has provided humans with poles since Neolithic times. Coppicing is a method in which young trees are cut low to the ground; when new shoots emerge and mature, the tree can be harvested again.

Bay Laurel - success, hard work rewarded, honor and respect
In Greek myth, a nymph named Daphne was pursued by Apollo, and for her safety was transformed into a laurel tree. Thereafter, Apollo wore a crown of laurel leaves in her honor. From this story developed the Greek and Roman custom of crowning master poets, victorious athletes, and warriors with a laurel wreath.
Beech - knowledge, study, creative writing
In German the word for letters is "Buchstaben," which translates as "beech sticks." Thin tablets of beech were bound together to create an alternative to scrolls: the book. Hence many words for "book" are derived from the name of the beech.
Birch - new beginning, fresh start, birth
In the wild, the birch is one of the first trees to colonize new land and prepare the soil for the coming forest. In temperate climates, it is the first tree to grow back spontaneously after a natural disaster such as an earthquake or volcanic eruption.
Box - boundaries, protection, privacy
The common box, an evergreen with small leaves crowded on thin

twigs, is valued for handsome hedges. It is also loved by Victorian
gardeners who use them in topiary work.
Butternut - deceptive appearances, short term benefits vs. long term costs
Although this tree produces a nutritious nut, its roots produce juglone. Juglone is a toxin that inhibits the respiration of other plants and causes wilting, stunted growth, and death.

Camellia - confidence, pride, self-esteem
Camellia is a flowering plant native to eastern and southern Asia. Its flowers are large and showy, varying in color from white, pink, red, or even yellow.
Cedar - calmness under pressure, resisting antagonistic attacks
Cedar wood has been one of the most sought after timbers of all time. It is deemed superior because it resists rot and insects, and thus is very durable.
Cherry - modest beauty, purity, simplicity
The cherry blossom is the unofficial national flower of Japan, featuring strongly in many ceremonial events. For the Japanese, it symbolizes purity, beauty, and simplicity, and has been a source of inspiration for artists and poets.
Chilean Fire Bush - passion, assertiveness, zeal
This small tree bears a glorious profusion of scarlet flowers in early summer. Its magnificent display is why this plant is sometimes called "flame flower."
Chestnut - mixing things up, blended harmony, change for the better
The American chestnut, once dominant in the eastern U.S., has almost been wiped out by a fungal blight. Efforts are being made to create hybrids using Asian chestnuts, which are less susceptible to the disease.
Cypress - safety, refuge, rest
Sacred cypress groves in ancient Greece were places of refuge for people who sought political or judicial asylum. In some places, a twig from the grove could secure a person free passage to the border or next harbor.

Dogwood - mask, false self, pretension
The white petals of the dogwood are not really flowers. Botanically speaking, these are “bracts,” modified leaves that surround the small, central, knobby green structures, which are the true flowers.

Fir - celebration, family, giving to others
Disliked by loggers for lumber, the fir is prized by Americans as a Christmas tree. Its symmetry, long-lasting greenery, and fragrant odor instantly bring to mind the lights, gifts, songs and family memories of the holiday.

Hawthorne - hope, optimism, a happy heart
In England the hawthorne is known as the mayflower tree, in honor of the month in which it blooms. Symbolizing hope, it was the name the Pilgrims took for their ship. Hawthorne is also an important herbal remedy for heart disorders.
Holly - sacredness, spiritual growth, the Divine
The word “holly,” derived from the Anglo-Saxon holegn and Old High German hulis, means “holy.” Hence holly has made its way into church ceremonies as a substitute for palms and as a Christmas decoration.
Hornbeam - toughness, endurance, perseverance
Hornbeam wood is of excellent quality, but so hard it quickly blunts carpenters’ tools. The central screws for cider and olive oil vats as well as printing presses were made from hornbeam wood until metal screws were introduced.

Juniper - unnecessary waste, narrow-mindedness, fear
The Middle Ages were a time of widespread deforestation in Europe. But, one reason why the juniper is rare there today is because at that time its acidic juice was discovered to be an effective contraceptive, so the Church encouraged the felling of these trees.

Magnolia - wisdom of elders, ancestors, learning from our past
Magnolia is an ancient genus. Having evolved before bees appeared, the flowers developed to encourage pollination by beetles. Plants belonging to Magnoliaceae have been found dating back to 95 million years ago.
Maidenhair (Ginkgo) - nonconformity, embracing one’s differences, unique
The Ginkgo is a unique tree with no close living relatives. It is classified in its own division, the Ginkgophyta. Even it leaves are distinctive among seed plants, being fan-shaped with veins radiating out into the leaf blade.
Maple - pleasure from music, the arts, creative expression
The tough and fine-grained maple wood is suitable for high-quality

carving -- for example, of musical instruments -- or for turning work, such as ornamental bowls. In the UK, maple harps were excavated from a barrow in Berkshire.
Monkey Puzzle - honoring the earth, recognizing our interdependence
One tribal group in Chile, the Pehuenche, have a special relationship with these trees. For them, the monkey-puzzle is a sacred tree, and is regarded as part of the tribe’s extended family.

Oak - secure, strong foundation, grounded
Oak is a mighty tree that takes time to mature, but once established, it is great in strength. Its tap root digs deep into the earth, enabling this tree to stand firm in all types of weather.

Palm - justice, honesty, reaping what you sow
In Jewish history, Deborah was a wise and powerful prophetess and judge. It was her custom to sit under a palm (Judges 4:5), so the tree came to be a symbol of justice and righteousness.
Paper Mulberry - belligerent, forceful, controlling
Paper mulberry thrives in open habitats and disturbed areas. It exhibits aggressive growth and quickly invades lands, displacing native plants. It is identified as an invasive plant in over a dozen countries.
Pawpaw - struggle for freedom, challenge, defense
The pawpaw tree, which bears the largest fruit native to North America, may bear new fruit for scientists seeking ways to fight cancer. Researchers have found compounds in the bark of the tree that have shown preliminary success in fighting some drug-resistant cancers.
Pecan - joy of life, savoring what is good, satisfying
The nuts of the pecan tree are edible, with a rich, buttery flavor. They can be eaten fresh or used in sweet desserts such a pecan pies, a traditional southern U.S. favorite.
Persimmon - patience, right timing, maturity
Any American living where this tree grows knows its fruit, the mouth-puckering persimmon. When completely mature however, the fruit of this native tree is deliciously sweet with a distinctive flavor.
Pine - vitality, continuity, return
Because it is evergreen, the pine has been associated with life force, vigor and vitality. According to legend, ancient Europeans lit pine bonfires to bring back the sun during the Winter Solstice (the longest night of the

year).
Poplar - sensitive, unprotected, weak
Poplars are some of the fastest growing trees, and produce soft, white wood. The wood is fairly brittle and subject to breakage during storms or heavy snows. The bark is also soft and easily injured.

Redbud - love, compassion, forgiveness
The pink flowers of the redbud appear all over this ornamental tree in early spring, even on its trunks. The redbud’s leaves are heart-shaped.
Redwood - longevity, awe-inspiring, humbling
The redwood can live to be over 2000 years old and grow to over 300 feet tall. The thick bark, along with foliage that starts high above the ground, provide good protection from both fire and insect damage, contributing to the redwood’s longevity.
Rhododendron arboreum - beauty, attraction, charm
This plant is attractive to bees and butterflies. Its flowers range from white, to deep pink, to deep scarlet. Native to Asia, it is the national flower of Nepal.

Sassafras - spice, excitement, variety
The roots, bark and leaves of the sassafras have a spicy scent. Its leaves are unusual in having three different shapes on the same tree: oval, two-lobed, and three-lobed.
Silver Wattle - building, renewal, regeneration
Early Australian settlers used wattle branches and mud to build walls for houses. This tree regenerates readily after a bush fire from soil-stored seed or root suckers.
Snow Gum - cleansing, purifying, distillation
Usually found in the subalpine habitats of eastern Australia, the snow gum is a part of the genus Eucalyptus. The essential oil extracted from the leaves of these trees contain compounds that are natural disinfectants.
Spruce - mistaken judgments, attachments, clinging
To distinguish between a spruce from a fir tree, look at the needles. Fir trees have flat needles; spruce trees have square needles. If a live needle is pulled from a twig of a fir, a round dent is left; if it is pulled from a spruce, a tiny piece of torn bark clings to the needle.
Strawberry - intoxicated, not clear-headed, unrestrained
The fleshy fruits of this tree have a faint resemblance to strawberries,

due to their knobby appearance. The fruits can be used in wines and liqueurs and are said to have narcotic properties.
Sweet Gum - guidance, spiritual comfort, clarity
The vigorous sweet gum is handsome year-round. It has star-like green leaves that change to pale yellow, soft red, and bronze in the fall.

Walnut - excellence, quality, distinction
The Latin name Juglans (walnut genus) derives from Jovis glans, which means “Jupiter’s nuts.” This “fit for a god” nut has widely been regarded throughout recorded history as the best of the best.
Weeping Willow - elegance, gracefulness, flexibility
This pendulous Chinese tree is loved all over the world, especially in America. With neither economic importance nor a wealth of blossoms or fruit, the willow is prized simply for the elegant beauty of its hanging, leaf-strung branches.

Yew - gateway, transition, opening/opportunity
A yew’s trunk hollows out as the tree ages. These hollows, with their fluted openings, appear to be symbolic gateways into other realms. An interior root inside the old trunk will eventually develop into a new trunk.

References:

The Meaning of Trees: Botany, History, Healing, Lore
Fred Hageneder
Leaves in Myth, Magic, and Medicine
Alice Thoms Vitale
Ogham: The Celtic Oracle of the Trees
Paul Rhys Mountfort
www.wikipedia.org

darwinia

bodhran said:
I found some cool playing cards at www.newtscards.com that have pictures of trees from around the world. Using several books as resources, I put a meaning with each type of tree.

Very nice, thanks for your effort. I love trees and the more information on them, the better I like them.

I have two extensive books on trees with pictures of leaves and flowers etc. but I have often been tempted by those playing cards. I have the Tree Magick deck and the Green Man Tree Oracle, and they have enough trees to keep me busy for a while.

The Heritage Playing Cards from the UK--which I think are the ones Newt's carries are terrific. I have the Shakespeare's Flowers playing cards that I use with my Shakespeare tarots. Any of these illustrated playing cards are fabulous with tarot or oracles.

US Games also has a series of playing cards called The Natural World with nature themes including trees, bugs, reptiles, birds, butterflies, mammals etc.
http://www.usgamesinc.com/home.php?cat=11

They are all great, I wish I could buy them all but I just spent a huge whack of money on reference books. <g>

Which is another reason I appreciate your work in posting these references. I will print them out, Thanks so much, I am enchanted!

BodhiSeed

darwinia said:
US Games also has a series of playing cards called The Natural World with nature themes including trees, bugs, reptiles, birds, butterflies, mammals etc.
http://www.usgamesinc.com/home.php?cat=11

Darwina,
Thanks so much for your kind comments! The U.S. Games "Trees of the World" playing cards are the ones I used for this oracle :).

Many blessings,
Bodhran

BodhiSeed

My next project will be to do an oracle with wildflower playing cards along the same line as this one. :)

Bodhran

darwinia

My next project will be to do an oracle with wildflower playing cards along the same line as this one.

Charmer!

Tell me when you get to insects and reptiles, I ordered the "Bugs" Knowledge Cards a couple of weeks ago, and I am waiting for them to be mailed. I had the US Games "Reptiles & Amphibians of the Natural World" deck on order but I had to cancel it to buy a book on Dante and some poetry by Carl Sandburg. One has to prioritize, you know?

I was going to buy a newt once when I lived in an apartment, and I've always loved geckos since reading Gerry Durrell's books. My childhood friend had two iguanas which fascinated me, and I recently drew a pen and ink picture of an iguana.

Rats. Carl Sandburg and that Dante fella have a lot to answer for.

BodhiSeed

darwinia said:
Rats. Carl Sandburg and that Dante fella have a lot to answer for.

:D You are too funny darwinia!

Take care,
Bodhran

lunakasha

This looks like an interesting deck, bodhran....

I love trees, and I am interested in tree oracles. Eventually I would like to purchase a good book on Ogham....

I printed off your tree divination meanings to use with my Tree Magic oracle cards, they should work very well together.

Thanks for sharing with us, it must have taken some time to compile this!

:) Luna

BodhiSeed

You're very welcome Luna! :D Glad you found it useful!
By the way, I highly recommend "Ogham: The Celtic Oracle of the Trees" by
Paul Rhys Mountfort.

Take care,
Bodhran

WolfSpirit

Thanks for sharing with us, bodhran :)
I have also seen pretty playing cards and Wisdom cards with a theme that makes it very usable for oracles. They are great to make a "personalised" deck without having to draw the cards yourself (which would be too much of a challenge for me :laugh: )
I love working with the energy of trees and herbs, I am sure your deck will work great for you. At the moment I am still exploring the Green Man Tree Oracle which I also love.

lunakasha

bodhran said:
You're very welcome Luna! :D Glad you found it useful!
By the way, I highly recommend "Ogham: The Celtic Oracle of the Trees" by
Paul Rhys Mountfort.

Take care,
Bodhran

Thanks for the recommendation....there are so many books out there, it is hard to choose! :)

I am also wondering, if either you (bodhran) or WolfSpirit are familiar with the Celtic Tree Oracle??? That one has caught my attention more than once, but still have resisted buying (which I know is hard to believe LOL).

I do own--and LOVE--the Green Man Tree Oracle, as well as Tree Magic!

:) Luna