Dream Enchantress. V The Hierophant

GlitterNova

http://www.albideuter.de/html/zaubertraum_5.html

It's impossible to tell whether the Hierophant is a man or a woman, but knowing this deck I'm willing to bet it's a woman. She is sitting or standing in front of a stone chair which is against a green wall. She is wearing a red cloak that completely encases her body and is shaped like a cone. She wears a matching red pope's hat/miter and a stern-looking mask that completely covers her face. Her left hand peeks out of the front of the cloak and holds a long staff with a spiral design on the top. On the green wall behind her are decorations of large, upward-pointing triangles with spirals on their sides. Two details immediately strike me. The bright red of the cloak really contrasts with the green wall and looks quite imposing. Secondly is the visual repetition of the upward-pointing triangle. Not only on the wall, but in the shape of the Hierophant's cloak. To me these are arrows that directly point upwards to the divine, reminding us of the meaning of this card. I should mention too that an upward-pointing triangle can be a symbol of the male aspect, another thing pertinent to this card.