Doing the math on the 7s

wheelie

[edit] ...can't edit the tilte: should be "Doing the math..." ...but "ding" is cool, too...

When I was in grade school and supposed to be doing my math problems, I would imagine the numbers as characters. That is maybe seven would be a sharp-headed bully picking on little round 3, defended by bigger round nine. I think it was mostly the shapes and amounts that I used to make stories when I should have been doing math!

That's my introduction. Hope you like it.

Now as I was recently struggling to understand how numerology factors into the generally accepted meanings of the 7s in tarot, I noticed that the pictures sometimes break down the set.

On the cards that kind of follow my understanding of 7, the items are broken up into 6 + 1:
six coins on a bush + one under the resting guy's feet and six staves fighting from below + 1 with the upper hand. This follows the grouping (maybe or maybe not the meaning) that I think of--six days + 1 Sabbath, six branches + 1 centerpiece.

On the cards that confuse me, the items are broken up differently: 5 stolen swords + 2 left and 4 cups on the bottom + 3 cups on top ( 4 on bottom might be dreamy with 3 on top as nightmares--not sure about that).
[edit]Actually, it looks like it might be 2+1 rather than 3 on the top row of items on 7 of Cups; same on the 8 of Cups.

In conclusion,

Probably the groupings just give a clue rather than dominate the meanings, but this is what I am percolating on...

Also 15 Devil is 1 + 5 = 6 (another side of the Lovers card 6) leads to 16 Tower as 1 + 6 = 7 (perhaps another side of the Chariot card 7?

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Only Moderators can change the name of a thread after it's been started. Typo corrected.

nisaba

Sounds to me as if you are a synesthete, if you are "seeing" numbers. That is No Bad Thing! I see music, and perceive tastes as temperatures.

Look, if you see numbers, that gives you the immediate jump on all of those who don't. Have you through of finding yourself a deck with unillustrated pip-cards that you really like, and divorcing the RW (or Thoth) meanings entirely? With your gift, I'm positive you can come up with a rich system of your own, that will enhance your readings immensely. Forget what other people do and teach: you have greater gifts than theirs!

wheelie

Sounds to me as if you are a synesthete, if you are "seeing" numbers. That is No Bad Thing! I see music, and perceive tastes as temperatures.

Look, if you see numbers, that gives you the immediate jump on all of those who don't. Have you through of finding yourself a deck with unillustrated pip-cards that you really like, and divorcing the RW (or Thoth) meanings entirely? With your gift, I'm positive you can come up with a rich system of your own, that will enhance your readings immensely. Forget what other people do and teach: you have greater gifts than theirs!

I have a fairly good imagination but no super powers that I know of.

I don't mind having my own system or working from a different system, though, as long as I know how it fits in with others and the conventional wisdom. Before tarot, I also started off with Cartomancy--regular cards with no pictures on the pip cards--so in the beginning it was harder to break myself of my personal system.

I do think I might be on to something here with the 7s:

7 Chariot: victory, control, tower built in "earthly perfection" or completion
1+6 Tower: shake down from the higher perfection; pride comes before a fall

7 of Wands: Getting the upper hand in fire energy in earthly struggle (6 + 1)
7 of Cups: The dreams and false illusions of "earthly perfection." (4 + 2 + 1)
7 of Swords: Mental preparation and strategy; psych out or winning spy game (5 + 2)
7 of Coins: Offering the Sabbath first fruits of earthly crop; temporary rest from physical work (6 + 1)

Barleywine

If you would like to see a really thorough analysis of numbers applied to the minor arcana, get hold of Joseph Maxwell's book, The Tarot. It's based on the TdM, so there are no scenes to deconstruct, but it's an exacting mathematical breakdown. He uses the concept of "isomorphs:" different sets of two numbers that add up to the same number. The Sevens he factors into three isomorphs: 1 + 6, 5 + 2 and 4 + 3. Since it's a prime number, there are no multiples to figure in. Be forewarned, though, it's a bit dry and deep.

wheelie

If you would like to see a really thorough analysis of numbers applied to the minor arcana, get hold of Joseph Maxwell's book, The Tarot. It's based on the TdM, so there are no scenes to deconstruct, but it's an exacting mathematical breakdown. He uses the concept of "isomorphs:" different sets of two numbers that add up to the same number. The Sevens he factors into three isomorphs: 1 + 6, 5 + 2 and 4 + 3. Since it's a prime number, there are no multiples to figure in. Be forewarned, though, it's a bit dry and deep.

That's cool to know. Thanks, Barleywine.

I came across the concept of the "Quint" for the first time recently, too, so I see maybe my thoughts are not too farfetched.