Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

7 of Pentacles for Overall Relationship

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Using Tarot Cards


 
LGBriana's Avatar
LGBriana  LGBriana is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 14 Apr 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5
LGBriana 
Resident

LGBriana's Avatar
7 of Pentacles for Overall Relationship


I recently did a Love reading for a friend, and the card representing it's Overall Effect was 7 of Pentacles. But I view it as the Patience card, and can't figure out how it matches to a romantic relationship. It teaches them such? Requires it? The cards before it made this being the overall message odd.
Top   #1
Ruby Jewel's Avatar
Ruby Jewel  Ruby Jewel is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 02 Apr 2014
Location: around
Posts: 1,401
Ruby Jewel 
Citizen

Ruby Jewel's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBriana View Post
I recently did a Love reading for a friend, and the card representing it's Overall Effect was 7 of Pentacles. But I view it as the Patience card, and can't figure out how it matches to a romantic relationship. It teaches them such? Requires it? The cards before it made this being the overall message odd.
It is a beautiful card for the relationship. It says that the relationship has been well tended and the harvest will be abundant. However, far from the end result of the matter, one must continue to apply themselves during a time when nothing seems to be happening. The future potential is still developing and requires continued attention and work.

Also implicit in this card is the factor of restlessness...wondering if one has missed out on life...and an urge to seek a new adventure....perhaps a dream they have harbored throughout the years. The warning, of course, is to be found in the first paragraph here.
Top   #2
Thirteen's Avatar
Thirteen  Thirteen is offline
The Thirteenth Moon
 
Join Date: 17 Sep 2001
Location: Pluto
Posts: 8,760
Thirteen 
The Thirteenth Moon

Thirteen's Avatar
Cool The Challenge of waiting...


Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBriana View Post
I recently did a Love reading for a friend, and the card representing it's Overall Effect was 7 of Pentacles. But I view it as the Patience card, and can't figure out how it matches to a romantic relationship. It teaches them such? Requires it? The cards before it made this being the overall message odd.
One of the names for the 7/Pents is "Failure." 7's are never calm, peaceful cards (like the 6's). They're an upset. A challenge that must be overcome. That's what the "patience" is all about. The person is waiting for the fruit to ripen...but it's overdue. And worries, frustration, impatience start to challenge him.

And there's more to the message than learning patience. There's also the message that one has to accept failure. Maybe the fruit on this tree will NEVER ripen. And in that case, the challenge is not getting obsessed with that tree ("It can't be a failure! It can't! If I just wait a little longer..."). Being an earth suit, Pents often indicate something which required a lot of time, effort and care. Hard work was put into it. And so admitting it's not bearing fruit is very difficult. It also creates a "putting all your eggs in one basket" situation. The person may not have other trees.

Thus, the overall effect of this card is a kind of unhealthy obsession. A determination to see this particular tree bear its fruit and a refusal to accept that it might not do that. That's not a good "overall effect." True patience means you also look around, do other things, and make sure you have other options in case this one doesn't come through. That you don't, in short, check your messages over and over again to hear from this one person. But clearly, this situation will pose a challenge to your friend. The overall effect of this will not be good on your friend, not unless they make sure they don't put all their hopes, effort, care and work into one, fruit bearing tree.
Top   #3
tarot_quest's Avatar
tarot_quest  tarot_quest is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 03 May 2015
Location: Either on my couch or my kitchen table
Posts: 2,487
tarot_quest 
Citizen

tarot_quest's Avatar

Ruby and Thirteen, both of your description are interesting and to the point.

Thirteen, your description of the 7 of pentacles strongly fits the description of the Aces, especially the Ace of pentacles. When planting a seed (ace of pentacles), there is a strong potential, but we don't know if it will grow or not, or if it will bear fruits.

Do you see any difference between the 7 of pentacles and the ace of pentacles then?
Top   #4
LGBriana's Avatar
LGBriana  LGBriana is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 14 Apr 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5
LGBriana 
Resident

LGBriana's Avatar

I think I've found how it fits now! I wasn't thinking of patience in the wider sense to accept the idea I had before even doing the reading. Thank you Thirteen especially for the insight!

Being an Ace, I consider Pentacles to be a birthing and positive start of a project, if 7 stands to be the patience in letting things go their natural course.
Top   #5
Thirteen's Avatar
Thirteen  Thirteen is offline
The Thirteenth Moon
 
Join Date: 17 Sep 2001
Location: Pluto
Posts: 8,760
Thirteen 
The Thirteenth Moon

Thirteen's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarot_quest View Post
Do you see any difference between the 7 of pentacles and the ace of pentacles then?
Oh, gosh yes! There's certainly the hope of something growing when you plant a seed, but even with earth-suit Pents, the Ace is a very fragile, temporary possibility. Unformed and therefore, if they don't come to anything, easily gotten over. "Oh well, that didn't come to much of anything did it?" Shrug your shoulders and move on.

But with the 7/Pents that seed has not only grown, but it's gotten big enough to bear fruit. You've spent a good long time watering it, fertilizing it, pruning it, keeping it warm through the cold, etc. You've really invested in it. Getting over the fact that there might not be a harvest (or, at least, it might not come when expected)...that's going to be hard!

All the 7's are like that. Like driving on a straight road all night in order to get somewhere then, suddenly, coming up on a roadblock. You're going to be unhappy about that; maybe argue with the police at the roadblock about it (can't they make an excepting and let you thought?). Can you come to terms with taking a detour instead? Maybe even find the benefits in it...even if it's unplanned, and not how you wanted to get where you were going? As with the Chariot card (#7) something has to be figured out, overcome or accepted if you want to drive on.
Top   #6
Ruby Jewel's Avatar
Ruby Jewel  Ruby Jewel is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 02 Apr 2014
Location: around
Posts: 1,401
Ruby Jewel 
Citizen

Ruby Jewel's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarot_quest View Post
Ruby and Thirteen, both of your description are interesting and to the point.

Thirteen, your description of the 7 of pentacles strongly fits the description of the Aces, especially the Ace of pentacles. When planting a seed (ace of pentacles), there is a strong potential, but we don't know if it will grow or not, or if it will bear fruits.

Do you see any difference between the 7 of pentacles and the ace of pentacles then?
Only that the 7 is the point reached from having planted the seed of the Ace...with 8, 9, and 10 to go before one reaps the rewards, or the conclusion. Seven is a stage over halfway.
Top   #7
Ruby Jewel's Avatar
Ruby Jewel  Ruby Jewel is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 02 Apr 2014
Location: around
Posts: 1,401
Ruby Jewel 
Citizen

Ruby Jewel's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGBriana View Post
I think I've found how it fits now! I wasn't thinking of patience in the wider sense to accept the idea I had before even doing the reading. Thank you Thirteen especially for the insight!

Being an Ace, I consider Pentacles to be a birthing and positive start of a project, if 7 stands to be the patience in letting things go their natural course.
I'm wondering what decks are involved here. I'm using RW....no doubt the Thoth has a much different take on the 7. The card makes me think of someone with the proverbial "seven-year itch."
Top   #8
Thirteen's Avatar
Thirteen  Thirteen is offline
The Thirteenth Moon
 
Join Date: 17 Sep 2001
Location: Pluto
Posts: 8,760
Thirteen 
The Thirteenth Moon

Thirteen's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Jewel View Post
I'm wondering what decks are involved here. I'm using RW....no doubt the Thoth has a much different take on the 7. The card makes me think of someone with the proverbial "seven-year itch."
Thoth is the one that names the card "Failure." It goes so far as to warn that the person might be cheated. Promises won't be fulfilled and hopes will be crushed. However, it also says that there is a real opportunity and that hopes/promises can be fulfilled if the person is, yes, patient and gives it time.

As for the 7-year-itch--that sounds more like 7/Cups, with its daydreamer imagining all that could be and ignoring what is there in reality and that they need to go for before it vanishes. In fact, the Marilyn Monroe movie of the same name features a man just like that. He keeps having these daydreams of what might happen between the two of them.
Top   #9
Ruby Jewel's Avatar
Ruby Jewel  Ruby Jewel is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 02 Apr 2014
Location: around
Posts: 1,401
Ruby Jewel 
Citizen

Ruby Jewel's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
Thoth is the one that names the card "Failure." It goes so far as to warn that the person might be cheated. Promises won't be fulfilled and hopes will be crushed. However, it also says that there is a real opportunity and that hopes/promises can be fulfilled if the person is, yes, patient and gives it time.

As for the 7-year-itch--that sounds more like 7/Cups, with its daydreamer imagining all that could be and ignoring what is there in reality and that they need to go for before it vanishes. In fact, the Marilyn Monroe movie of the same name features a man just like that. He keeps having these daydreams of what might happen between the two of them.
I thought maybe you were coming from Crowley.....I just started studying him....very interesting take, but different...rather drastic and dramatic in some ways, but amazingly accurate in others...particularly his court card descriptions. I see the 7 of Cups as a guy with an unwieldy imagination, by nature....and the 7 of Pentacles as someone who is practical and down to earth going through a nostalgic period in life that will pass....total opposites, actually. Cups are unpredictable dreamers from the "get-go" who never give up the dream, and Pentacles are earthy, predictable and practical by nature, but not immune to getting the 7-year itch.
Top   #10


 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.