Aleister Crowley and the Ouija Board.

ravenest

This thread was split from discussion at ; http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=81792&page=11&pp=10

I’m wondering if the references given above are from Cornelius’s book? They are very shoddy and I’m wondering why he would give them?

If that one reference from ‘The International’ is the basis of Cornelius’s book one has to wonder what the whole rest of the book is about – considering its title.

There are many editions of MTP but why not cite the text from its most recent version (which includes more material and annotations), Liber Abba?

The same with ‘The Equinox’. That’s a vague reference if there ever was one! There are sooooooooo many Equinox’s. I checked a more prominent release; The Equinox - Vol. III, Number 10 but it is not in that.

And I’d REALLY like to know where, in a Liber such as Liber Aleph, Ouija Boards are mentioned. I tried page 16 in mine but it doesn’t show any reference on page 16 [although it does say to be well guarded against ghostly enemies ;) ] – or page XVI of the introduction.

So now I’m really wondering what is going on with this book and what it actually IS about?

mac22

ravenest said:
This thread was split from discussion at ; http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=81792&page=11&pp=10

I’m wondering if the references given above are from Cornelius’s book? They are very shoddy and I’m wondering why he would give them?

If that one reference from ‘The International’ is the basis of Cornelius’s book one has to wonder what the whole rest of the book is about – considering its title.

There are many editions of MTP but why not cite the text from its most recent version (which includes more material and annotations), Liber Abba?

The same with ‘The Equinox’. That’s a vague reference if there ever was one! There are sooooooooo many Equinox’s. I checked a more prominent release; The Equinox - Vol. III, Number 10 but it is not in that.

And I’d REALLY like to know where, in a Liber such as Liber Aleph, Ouija Boards are mentioned. I tried page 16 in mine but it doesn’t show any reference on page 16 [although it does say to be well guarded against ghostly enemies ;) ] – or page XVI of the introduction.

So now I’m really wondering what is going on with this book and what it actually IS about?

Welllll...............

I don't know yet as I do not yet have the book in hand but you can bet when I do I will speak up.... It should be here tomorrow or next day.

Because frankly, like you I was somewhat stunned by apparent claims....

Is the latest version MTP online......if so where?

mac22

ravenest

mac22 said:
Welllll...............

I don't know yet as I do not yet have the book in hand but you can bet when I do I will speak up.... It should be here tomorrow or next day.

Looking foreward to your review.
mac22 said:
Because frankly, like you I was somewhat stunned by apparent claims....

Is the latest version MTP online......if so where?

mac22
http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/lib4.htm

mac22

ravenest said:
Looking foreward to your review.

Methinks there maybe be more smoke than fire here. It would not be the first time someone played fast & loose with Uncle Als writtings.:D Unless of course that person is Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford [Lon Milo Duquette]:laugh:

mac22

ravenest

"Aleister Crowley and the Ouija Board
As befits a book that makes frequent reference to those notorious ethereal tricksters known as elementals, Aleister Crowley and the Ouija Board is not at all what it might at first glance appear to be. Readers familiar with the book’s author, J. Edward Cornelius, would most likely recognize him as the co-publisher and principal author of Red Flame, a journal that has brought both scholarship and innovation to the study of Aleister Crowley, his works and circle. Given this, and the title of his new book, one might expect the work to be an earnest, theoretical discussion of the Great Beast and his thoughts on the Ouija Board.

Instead we find what would once have been termed a grimoire: an occult textbook, in this case carefully composed for aspiring students by a modern-day ceremonial magician. The book is not devoid of theoretical discussion: Cornelius provides an interesting overview of the history of the Ouija Board, and a thoughtful analysis of the different schools of thought about the nature of the forces that respond to the summons to move the planchette, but the core of the book consists of practical instruction in the use of the board.

Not surprisingly the approach to the Ouija outlined by Cornelius is very different to that of the Spiritualists who first brought fame to the implement. Drawing from his own practical experiments – and some little know writings on the subject by Crowley – Cornelius suggests that sitting with the Ouija should never be a passive undertaking. To be safe it should only ever be performed as a serious magical operation, with the practitioner in total control of the situation, paying utmost attention to every detail of the process, and remaining fully focused on his or her goal. This need for rigor and control naturally extends to knowledge of the nature of the entity or entities summoned, and Cornelius examines this in detail, in the context of the Enochian system of magic articulated by the Elizabethan magus John Dee.

This book has many charms, not least of which the easy-going authority with which it is written. Cornelius has been a ritual magician for most of his adult life, and the elementals, angels, and other entities of which he writes are as much a part of his daily world as the sky above him or the pavement below his feet. Clearly he does not feel it is his task to persuade doubters as to the reality of his observations. Rather he is intent on chronicling them in a way that will allow other aspirants to set forth firmly, and safely, on their own journeys of exploration. This he does with the simple but powerful conviction of one who knows.

Those looking for an abstruse theoretical treatise, or a book with Crowley as the absolute and exclusive focal point may not find what they were hoping for in this work. But for anyone with an open mind and a genuine interest in the theory and practice of ritual magic this book is sure to prove a fascinating and valuable resource.

Weiser Antiquarian have a batch of signed copies, available at the standard retail price of US $16.96
http://www.weiserantiquarian.com/cgi-bin/wab455/index.html

Added: Saturday, December 10, 2005
Reviewer: Keith Richmond."

http://www.lashtal.com/nuke/Reviews-req-showcontent-id-38.phtml

I'm still wondering about those dodgey references esp. Liber Aleph.

mac22

ravenest said:
"Aleister Crowley and the Ouija Board
As befits a book that makes frequent reference to those notorious ethereal tricksters known as elementals, Aleister Crowley and the Ouija Board is not at all what it might at first glance appear to be. Readers familiar with the book’s author, J. Edward Cornelius, would most likely recognize him as the co-publisher and principal author of Red Flame, a journal that has brought both scholarship and innovation to the study of Aleister Crowley, his works and circle. Given this, and the title of his new book, one might expect the work to be an earnest, theoretical discussion of the Great Beast and his thoughts on the Ouija Board.

Instead we find what would once have been termed a grimoire: an occult textbook, in this case carefully composed for aspiring students by a modern-day ceremonial magician. The book is not devoid of theoretical discussion: Cornelius provides an interesting overview of the history of the Ouija Board, and a thoughtful analysis of the different schools of thought about the nature of the forces that respond to the summons to move the planchette, but the core of the book consists of practical instruction in the use of the board.

Not surprisingly the approach to the Ouija outlined by Cornelius is very different to that of the Spiritualists who first brought fame to the implement. Drawing from his own practical experiments – and some little know writings on the subject by Crowley – Cornelius suggests that sitting with the Ouija should never be a passive undertaking. To be safe it should only ever be performed as a serious magical operation, with the practitioner in total control of the situation, paying utmost attention to every detail of the process, and remaining fully focused on his or her goal. This need for rigor and control naturally extends to knowledge of the nature of the entity or entities summoned, and Cornelius examines this in detail, in the context of the Enochian system of magic articulated by the Elizabethan magus John Dee.

This book has many charms, not least of which the easy-going authority with which it is written. Cornelius has been a ritual magician for most of his adult life, and the elementals, angels, and other entities of which he writes are as much a part of his daily world as the sky above him or the pavement below his feet. Clearly he does not feel it is his task to persuade doubters as to the reality of his observations. Rather he is intent on chronicling them in a way that will allow other aspirants to set forth firmly, and safely, on their own journeys of exploration. This he does with the simple but powerful conviction of one who knows.

Those looking for an abstruse theoretical treatise, or a book with Crowley as the absolute and exclusive focal point may not find what they were hoping for in this work. But for anyone with an open mind and a genuine interest in the theory and practice of ritual magic this book is sure to prove a fascinating and valuable resource.

Weiser Antiquarian have a batch of signed copies, available at the standard retail price of US $16.96
http://www.weiserantiquarian.com/cgi-bin/wab455/index.html

Added: Saturday, December 10, 2005
Reviewer: Keith Richmond."

http://www.lashtal.com/nuke/Reviews-req-showcontent-id-38.phtml

Me too....

mac22

Abrac

ravenest, shortly after I posted those references I realized they probably weren't any good so I posted this.

ravenest said:
"Those looking for an abstruse theoretical treatise, or a book with Crowley as the absolute and exclusive focal point may not find what they were hoping for in this work. But for anyone with an open mind and a genuine interest in the theory and practice of ritual magic this book is sure to prove a fascinating and valuable resource."
Actually, this summary from Weiser is very accurate. The title is a little misleading. It isn't a book devoted exclusively to Crowley's experiences and views of the Ouija board, but it's about the Quija board, oh, and a little about Aleister Crowley too. :D It is an interesting read though. It has a great chapter on the history and development of the Ouija as we know it today, and as it says in the Weiser review, a lot about magic.

mac22

Abrac said:
Actually, this summary from Weiser is very accurate. The title is a little misleading. It isn't a book devoted exclusively to Crowley's experiences and views of the Ouija board, but it's about the Quija board, oh, and a little about Aleister Crowley too. :D It is an interesting read though. It has a great chapter on the history and development of the Ouija as we know it today, and as it says in the Weiser review, a lot about magic.

That's what I'm afraid of. Crowley has merely been invoke to sell a mediocre book about Ouija in general. :(

We'll see...we'll see......

mac22

mac22

book review of: Aleister Crowley And the Ouija Board by J. Edward Cornelius

Ok I admit it I was all set to dislike this book. Instead I find by J. Edward Cornelius a skillful skater:laugh:. He claims that he & Grady McMurtry [Hymenaeus Alpha] had discussions of Crowley's views & use of the Ouija board in 1977. Cornelius doesn't say how or where he met McMurtry or if he was a member of the OTO.

Cornelius also alludes to unpublished letters between Crowley & Frater Achad [Charles Stansfeld Jones] about a taking board enterprise. I have seen these "discussions" between Crowley & his "Magickal child" Achad mentioned elsewhere. To my knowledge these private letters have yet to surface.

Cornelius does a fair job of giving a general history of scrying, & talking board communications. He also gives the appropriate discussion of why & how to challenge spirits.

He discusses Enochian Magick and he weaves Crowley in & out thru the text like a thread. Does Cornelius give us a smoking gun or at least compelling theory and analysis.....of Crowley hovering over a Ouija board.....NO! However he gets points for creative marketing.

So does Cornelius lie & evade no..... Does his book show that Crowley used or advocated the use of ouija boards he's not definitive in anyway. Will this book harm the novice if followed prob not.... Is it worth the $$$ ...Well THERE ARE better more informative books.

It's a small press book which will soon be nothing but a curio ...demanding a ridiculous price on Ebay.

Just my opinion...:D Your mileage may vary.:)

mac22

kwaw

mac22 said:
He claims that he & Grady McMurtry [Hymenaeus Alpha] had discussions of Crowley's views & use of the Ouija board in 1977. Cornelius doesn't say how or where he met McMurtry or if he was a member of the OTO.

Frater Achad Osher 583 (Gerald Edward Cornelius) claims to be the head of a branch of the A:.A:. with a lineage to Grady McMurtry. He also used to produce the Thelemite publication Red Flame:

http://cornelius93.com/

There is a photo of him with Grady here (picture at bottom):

http://cornelius93.com/McMurtryPhotos.html

In reference to his connection with the OTO, of which he is no longer a member, see here:

http://cornelius93.com/ForeSale1.html

Kwaw